Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-26-2018, 06:05 AM   #1

Tree limb through roof of slide

Was at a local campground this past week when, not one, but two tree limbs came crashing down on my TT. My family and I were inside the TT when it happened. Sounded like a bomb going off inside when it hit! One tree limb actually penetrated the inside ceiling of the slide. Had the tree limbs hit somebody instead of my TT, it would have likely killed them!

So, I have two questions. One, do I raise "moderator edit" with the park owners and ask them to pay for the repairs? The site they put me in had two dead 100' tall pine trees right next to the trailer pad. This is where the tree limb came from. I didn't notice them until after the damage was already done. Two, do I file an insurance claim and have the dealer fix it or avoid the claim and make the repairs myself? The hole through the slide roof is about the size of golf ball and is located in the center of the slide out. There is more damage to the main roof, but it's not too bad.

To say I'm torqued about it is an understatement. My TT is a little over two years old and I've never had a minutes trouble out of it. I'm OCD with maintenance on it and to know that the damage occurred through no fault of my own is what really "moderator edit" me off!

Thoughts?

2016 Whitehawk 28 DSBH
2013 F150 5.0
Truly blessed and HIGHLY favored
Campbellizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 06:12 AM   #2

That sucks, but the damage does not sound bad. I bet the CG will deny any liability. Have any pictures of the damage?

Sounds like it can it be patched with an Eternabond. Did it puncture through the frame and into the interior? Sounds like $50 in parts.

Being a slideout roof, if I used eternabond, I would add the recommended caulking around the edges to allow the slideout seal an easier time to slide up and over the patch and not yank on it.

Good luck

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 06:14 AM   #3

Definitely inform the CG and management. Have them come to the site to inspect what happened. Take pictures of the damage and the trees as well. Tree maintenance is part of the campgrounds responsibility as well as the grounds. I would wait to see how it'll be handled before deciding on how to approach the damage. But I can say, let a repair facility handle the repairs. That way it comes with a warranty. Good luck!
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 06:31 AM   #4

Also, I failed to mention that the park I was staying in is a "State" run/owned campground. Think that makes any difference from a liability point of view and how likely they would be to pay for the damages?

2016 Whitehawk 28 DSBH
2013 F150 5.0
Old 06-26-2018, 07:08 AM   #5

As far as liability, no. It's their responsibility to maintain a safe environment for campers.
Old 06-26-2018, 08:10 AM   #6

Campgrounds usually carry insurance policies for events like this.
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 08:34 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbellizer View Post
Also, I failed to mention that the park I was staying in is a "State" run/owned campground. Think that makes any difference from a liability point of view and how likely they would be to pay for the damages?
I am kinda surprised that it was a State Park that has two 100' dead pine trees. Around here the State Parks have things like that maintained quickly.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 10:15 AM   #8
Site Team

I know 2 friends who have had damage from falling limbs. One in a state park, one in a private park.

Both were covered by the park owners insurance. They have liability insurance for these occurrences. If they don't, they are still liable.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 10:30 AM   #9
bap

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
I know 2 friends who have had damage from falling limbs. One in a state park, one in a private park.

Both were covered by the park owners insurance. They have liability insurance for these occurrences. If they don't, they are still liable.
I wouldn’t be too sure that the park is liable. Many campgrounds have in their rental agreement that they are NOT liable for damages and loss. Otherwise, they would be getting claims from every Tom, Dick and Harry that came along and be out of business. Usually government run places are the first to limit any kind of liability. You might be lucky and get them to pay, but I would not just assume that they would.
Old 06-26-2018, 10:34 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bap View Post
I wouldn’t be too sure that the park is liable. Many campgrounds have in their rental agreement that they are NOT liable for damages and loss. Otherwise, they would be getting claims from every Tom, Dick and Harry that came along and be out of business. Usually government run places are the first to limit any kind of liability. You might be lucky and get them to pay, but I would not just assume that they would.
Then wonder what their reaction would be if you refused a site due to dead limbs hanging all over it. We had a favorite park that cut all their trees down due to insurance company charging more for insurance.

I can't imagine a reputable company not carrying liability insurance.

The private cg I am referring to was in New Hampshire.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 10:58 AM   #11

We were camping in a state park and had a tree fall near our camper and one of the limbs hit my 05 Excursion and broke out the back window. After speaking with a conservation officer I found out that parks are not responsible for "acts of nature" and he suggested I file a torte claim with the state. I did and was denied.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 01:06 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCNashville View Post
We were camping in a state park and had a tree fall near our camper and one of the limbs hit my 05 Excursion and broke out the back window. After speaking with a conservation officer I found out that parks are not responsible for "acts of nature" and he suggested I file a torte claim with the state. I did and was denied.
That's true but they are responsible for maintaining the property to a safe level. Especially if they're aware of the problem. If there's a storm and the limbs fall due to the storm, that's act of God. If the tree has been dead for a while and they just never did anything about it and a limb falls, that's neglect.
Old 06-26-2018, 02:02 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
I am kinda surprised that it was a State Park that has two 100' dead pine trees. Around here the State Parks have things like that maintained quickly.
Well, it just so happens that I had a gentlemen employed by the park come by just prior to the tree limb incident to let me know that the parks budget has been cut by the state. Therefore, park personnel will no longer come around to the camp sites to collect trash. Campers are responsible for bringing it to one of the garbage pitch in's located in the park (no big deal). But, if they don't have budget to collect trash, I bet their tree cutting budget is awfully slim too.

2016 Whitehawk 28 DSBH
2013 F150 5.0
Old 06-26-2018, 02:11 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWP723 View Post
That's true but they are responsible for maintaining the property to a safe level. Especially if they're aware of the problem. If there's a storm and the limbs fall due to the storm, that's act of God. If the tree has been dead for a while and they just never did anything about it and a limb falls, that's neglect.
There wasn't a cloud in the sky. Hardly any wind either so not an Act of God. Act of squirrels and southern pine beetles....... maybe? Lack of maintenance.... definitely.

I've contacted the campground and made them aware of the safety hazard. They informed me the site is reserved beginning Saturday this week through July 4. Hopefully they will relocate the folks or get the trees cut by then. Also, the campground manager is supposed to contact me to file a claim on their insurance. We will see what happens.

2016 Whitehawk 28 DSBH
2013 F150 5.0
Old 06-27-2018, 10:04 AM   #15

I work in property management... this may vary state to state not sure but I work in Virginia. If the tree is dead then they are liable... Will their insurance try to say they arnt, of course... but they are and just hoping you will easily give up. If it was an uprooted tree in a storm that was in good health, then it's act of God and it's a crap shoot if they will cover it. I inform my clients of good maintenance is way cheaper than 1 huge accident...
Chiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 07:06 PM   #16

Follow up

So I drove by the campground today to get more pictures and what did I see? Another camper parked in the same spot, trees not cut! I couldn’t believe it.

Fortunately, they were sitting outside so I told them my story and showed them the dead trees. They were very thankful and said they would be moving ASAP.

Still no word from the campground on an insurance claim.

Pics of dead trees and the branch that came through my roof attached.
Attached Thumbnails
1E24DC84-1981-4CA4-80CD-099A988EE25A.jpg   4200C793-BD6E-4448-8BFD-40BC1D2F302C.jpg  
Old 07-06-2018, 04:58 PM   #17

Your auto policy would respond if the CG denies.
Old 07-07-2018, 03:53 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCNashville View Post
Winner winner chicken dinner! ^^^^^

Filed a tort claim with the state. Received a call from an agent that said it was a no brainer, the damage was due to poor maintenance in the campground. Working now to get the two quotes they asked for.

This repair is going to be more involved than I thought. I'm told the slide has to be removed from the camper to properly make the repair. And, don't bother bringing it in for the repair until end of August, first of September as the shops I've contacted are covered up with work.

2016 Whitehawk 28 DSBH
2013 F150 5.0
Old 07-07-2018, 06:52 AM   #19

It depends on what you signed when you agreed to rent their campsite.

A lot of State CGs intentionally leave things as "natural" as possible, which may include dead/dying trees.... although, having said that, we were recently involved in documenting a similar incident, and the park staff response was instant, even in the middle of the night. They showed up with chainsaws (in the middle of the night :-) to clear away the fallen tree, took pictures and had insurance paperwork all ready.

Jay Feather 19XUD, pushing a Jeep Grand Cherokee
WeRJuliian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 12:10 PM   #20

Send a message via AIM to BillV Send a message via MSN to BillV
A dead tree is a hazard. Owner of the property is liable. It falling is not an act of god

Bill v
BillV is offline   Reply With Quote