Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-26-2018, 07:16 AM   #1

TV Antenna Leak

About a year and a couple months ago, we were out camping. During the night it was pouring down rain. I got up to use the rest room and as I walked under my antenna crank, I felt water on the floor. After investigating, it was dripping down from the crank. Cleaned up the floor, put a bucket under it.
After getting home, called service center to get it fixed under warranty. Was told by CW that it wouldn't be covered under warranty because sealant is supposed to be checked and resealed if needed every 90 days. I told them I check the sealant every time I go up on the roof to sweep off the slide out before closing it. CW said it wouldn't be covered under warranty.
I called Jayco and sent them pictures and Jayco called CW telling them they WOULD APPROVE the warranty repair.
After CW took the antennae apart, found there is an O Ring on the shaft of the part that allows the crank to turn the antenna. O Ring was pinched. CW ordered and replaced the O Ring.
Now, We were having very heavy rains here on the East Coast and as I ent out to check my trailer, found the water dripping in from the same spot on the Antenna crank. Called CW and said I don't think they fixed it right the first time. CW said it's out of warranty. I have an e-mail to Jayco.

Question......
Has anyone else had leaking antenna cranks? If yes, what did you do?

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 07:21 AM   #2
Site Team

Yes, there is a small rubber plug on the baswe of the antenna on the roof. You should remove the plug and spray some silicon in that hole, just a squirt, then replace the plug. That keeps in from leaking.

Look in the Winegard instructions. I think they are in our manuals section or get online from their web site.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 07:31 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Yes, there is a small rubber plug on the baswe of the antenna on the roof. You should remove the plug and spray some silicon in that hole, just a squirt, then replace the plug. That keeps in from leaking.

Look in the Winegard instructions. I think they are in our manuals section or get online from their web site.
THANK you Norty1,
Will look into that.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
Old 07-26-2018, 08:08 AM   #4

In addition to Norty's lubrication suggestion, some silicone spray should be applied liberally to the big gear you see on the roof of the trailer and sprayed down the hole. The silicone will dribble down the shaft and lubricate the "O" ring.

There is hosted on this site a PDF of the Winegard system. It is located here: Winegard Antenna Download. In the event that the silicone spray does not cure the leak, it shows how the cranking mechanism is installed; perhaps you'd want to replace the "O" ring yourself. I"d remove the old "O" ring and take it to a good hardware store; they should have a duplicate for about $.10. I've removed the shaft with the "O" ring once, but I don't remember how exactly it comes apart. But I don't remember it being any big deal. I think it must come out from the top.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 10:36 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVhiker View Post
In addition to Norty's lubrication suggestion, some silicone spray should be applied liberally to the big gear you see on the roof of the trailer and sprayed down the hole. The silicone will dribble down the shaft and lubricate the "O" ring.

There is hosted on this site a PDF of the Winegard system. It is located here: Winegard Antenna Download. In the event that the silicone spray does not cure the leak, it shows how the cranking mechanism is installed; perhaps you'd want to replace the "O" ring yourself. I"d remove the old "O" ring and take it to a good hardware store; they should have a duplicate for about $.10. I've removed the shaft with the "O" ring once, but I don't remember how exactly it comes apart. But I don't remember it being any big deal. I think it must come out from the top.
THANK you. Appreciate the download link.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
Old 07-26-2018, 12:53 PM   #6

I had the same issue on a previous trailer (2013 26BH) where it leaked out by the antenna handle and on both sides of it. I inspected the entire rood and found no holes. I pulled the O-Ring and applied silicone to it along with the plug. Re-caulked around the antenna base- etc.. All of this and the leak continued.

Frustrated and perplexed I figured the leak had to be coming from the side of the trailer (antenna side) just above the gutter where the roof material ended behind the strip with the plastic molding which covers the screws. I purchased some four inch wide Eternabond tape and ran it down the entire side completely encasing the seam where the roof material ended coming down the side. It never leaked again.

I hope your problem is just the O ring. Good Luck.
2013 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
CMSgt USAF (Ret)
"GO BLUE". University of Michigan
Explorer03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 05:24 PM   #7

I’m never planning on using that antenna. Is there a good way to cap it so I don’t have to worry about sealing or a possible leak?
gladecreekwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 06:02 PM   #8

Camping World

Techs wanted!
Attached Thumbnails
RV Techs.jpg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 05:51 AM   #9

Wonder if putting plumbers tape/Teflon Tape over the threads of the bolt at the top would help?

2012 Ford Expedition EL
Old 07-27-2018, 06:03 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladecreekwy View Post
I’m never planning on using that antenna. Is there a good way to cap it so I don’t have to worry about sealing or a possible leak?
They are not a continuous problem but I for one would not remove it or render it so that it could not be made normal unless you plan to keep the rig forever.

It not being operational may affect the resale value.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 07-27-2018, 07:04 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVhiker View Post

There is hosted on this site a PDF of the Winegard system. It is located here: Winegard Antenna Download.
Thanks RVhiker. Mine has leaked a few times in the past but only in a heavy downpour.

wan-der-lust's YouTube Channel and Instagram

wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 07:50 PM   #12

I got tired of chasing our leak from our Antenna and decided to do this.

http://stormpod.blogspot.com/2016/08...-replaced.html

Still very happy with it.

Modifications list at https://www.stormpod.org
StormPOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 07:38 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAurand View Post
Wonder if putting plumbers tape/Teflon Tape over the threads of the bolt at the top would help?
I don't think that will help cuz that's not where it leaks. You can buy a complete shaft with worm gear and o-ring, etc. for about 10 bucks. It's important that the o-ring be installed in the correct order on the shaft, which is probably why CW didn't fix the leak.
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 07:53 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormPOD View Post
I got tired of chasing our leak from our Antenna and decided to do this.

StormPOD: Batwing Over the Air (OTA) Antenna replaced with the King Jack Antenna

Still very happy with it.
Which King Jack did you use and how did you determine which baseplate adapter to get? Did the screw holes line up on the base plate adapter?

By the way......
My original request/e-mail to CW:
Your service department was supposedly to have fixed the water leak around my TV antenna on my trailer. I walked into my trailer this morning and found water puddle on the floor under the TV antenna. I also found water drops coming from the Antenna.
Apparently, the issue was never correctly resolved.
When can this be resolved correctly?

Here is CW's response when I told them they didn't fix it right: Looks like a "CANNED" answer
CAULKING AREAS ON THE ROOF NEEDS TO BE REINSPECTED AT LEAST EVERY 90 DAYS, THE CAULKING CAN SEPARATE OR WEAKEN THE LAST REPAIR WAS 9 MONTHS AGO AT THIS TIME WE ARE NOT REPONSIBLE FOR THE LEAK.

My Response:
I have been checking the caulking and re applying it when necessary. That is not something I need to bring it in for nor is there anything in writing that says a service center needs to check the caulking.
CW:
OK

Here is Jayco's response when I told them CW said it is out of the warranty and would not fix it:

Thank you for contacting Jayco Customer Service. If you believe that the unit was not repaired correctly, please contact the dealer that made repairs since we hold them accountable for the repairs that they make.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
Old 07-31-2018, 10:34 AM   #15

Here is a repair video
Bigbeartroop122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 10:35 AM   #16

Order Winegard Sensar Parts
Bigbeartroop122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 05:36 PM   #17

So we’ve had heavy rains here for about 4 days. Same small drips running off of the crank handle inside again. I tore antenna apart and reassembled carefully and methodically. I lubed everything up and let it sit in the rain after I was done. This morning there were drips again after a heavy downpour that lasted a few hours. I took the crank handle off the inside again and it was full of water as usual. I dried everything off and reached inside the ceiling with a paper towel and dried off the surrounding area as best I could. This time I left everything off the inside so I could see if there were indeed drops coming down the antenna shaft or not. I also pushed all the insulation aside so it wouldn’t “wick” moisture from the shaft if it was doing it. After the most recent shower I went out again and the shaft was bone dry, the hole where the antenna mechanism comes through the roof was bone dry. What wasn’t dry was the coax cable that comes through the antenna mount from the roof. It’s hard to see from the inside without a flashlight and pushing the insulation out of the way. There was absolutely small drops of water running down the coax, saturating the insulation around the crank hole, and following the path of least resistance out the hole.
I was never able to see this as the insulation was in the way, the crank mechanism was in the way, and I was always focused on the most usual leak spot, the o rings on the antenna gear shaft. I’d never imagined the coax boot itself was letting water seep down the coax and drip down onto the inner ceiling right next to the crank opening.
If you have the antenna leak and can’t seem to stop it I’d check here as well!
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 05:43 PM   #18
Site Team

Good info. Sometimes the boot on top will get a crack and be moved up by wind. Maybe replace the boot or just caulk around it better.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 07-31-2018, 06:28 PM   #19

Got the same leak, I already had the 28RLS scheduled for annual seal checks for over 3 months (going in in 2 weeks), 1 week ago while we here out camping, it started to leak. I called the dealership to let them know that it needs to be addressed. The standard answer was "you should apply seal as needed annually and inspect it multiple times a year". . I replied that I do check it numerous times a year, plus last year you did the checklast year and told me you only needed to apply the seal to two areas, and that was one of them. He then asked me if I had any seal and to go and put it on. I said I've taped it and it seems to be holding. He said they will check it when it comes in.

Now I now about the rubber seal up there too. Thanks
Old 08-01-2018, 07:34 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladecreekwy View Post
When I had my rubber roof replaced with RV Flex Armor a couple of years ago I had the crank up antenna removed and replaced with a non-adjustable one since I never ever used it. All the crank up antenna ever did was leak on my bed and now it is in a landfill somewhere. I found a plastic plug for the ceiling hole on Amazon. The new antenna is hooked up, but I never use it anyway, but it is there for the next owner if I ever sell.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote