Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-03-2020, 09:49 AM   #1

Upper A/C shroud replacement

I have 1999 Jayco 27' fifth wheel. The upper a/c shroud is beat up pretty good. I think replacing that is pretty straight forward and I just need to get up on the roof to find out exactly what unit I have. Is it possible to replace the lower half without pulling the unit out? The lower shroud isn't horrible but if it's not a big deal I would like to replace them both.
Thanks for any advice
Wagntwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 10:35 AM   #2
CAG

I replaced the upper on the toy hauler after I scraped an overhang. Dig out the info on your air conditioner, model number etc and call Dometic or whomever it might be. They can give you the correct model numbers for your unit. The upper is unscrewing a bunch of screws and lifting the current one off and reversing the process.

Sorry, I cannot help with the inner but as I recall from getting in there to check the AC once or twice, it is about the same process as the upper.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 10:51 AM   #3

When you say lower are you talking about the one inside? That too is only held in place with 4 or 5 screws.
Old 05-03-2020, 12:45 PM   #4

I got my fat a$$ up on the roof and it looks like it's a 1 piece cover. I was able to get 3 of the 4 screws out the last one I was able to break loose with vice grips but the nut underneath it just spins. I got the cover up enough to get a name of the unit but the model and serial numbers are faded so bad that you can't read them. The owners manual is showing RVP a division of Airxcel. But it's a general manual and it covers several different units. I was able to get a rough measurement and I will see what I can come up with. I'm not sure if Jayco is working or not but in the past when I have emailed them they responded within a few days. Thanks
Old 05-03-2020, 01:00 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wagntwister View Post
The owners manual is showing RVP a division of Airxcel. But it's a general manual and it covers several different units. I was able to get a rough measurement and I will see what I can come up with. I'm not sure if Jayco is working or not but in the past when I have emailed them they responded within a few days. Thanks
If you remove the ceiling assembly inside you may find the model# and serial# there too.

Your best bet is to contact Airxcel directly since JAYCO won't have the part anyway. Another place to check is PPL Motorhomes.

https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/search...acment+shrouds
Old 05-03-2020, 01:24 PM   #6

Unless your's is unusual just get up there, pull cover off and find the model no. You don't have to do anything else....but your's is a 1999 so I don't know what you have.
mboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 01:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazboy View Post
Unless your's is unusual just get up there, pull cover off and find the model no. You don't have to do anything else....but your's is a 1999 so I don't know what you have.
As stated before I was only able to remove 3 of the 4 screws. I was able to get the name but the model and serial numbers are faded out and can't be read. I'm looking at PPL now and I'm going to contact Airexcel.
Old 05-03-2020, 02:27 PM   #8
CAG

When I replaced mine I found the replacement on Amazon. That was cheaper than most of the RV parts places.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 03:13 PM   #9
Site Team

I replaced the original Coleman Mach 3 cover on my 2000 Jayco eagle in 2008 with a MaxxAir TuffMaxx A/C Cover. I's still up there 12 years later and appears to be in good "health". If you do the math, it's outlived the life of the original by 4 years so far.

I also have a MaxxAir TurboMaxx exhaust fan that's been on my roof since 2001. Never had a problem with it.

Mine has four bolts in the top. should just slide off pulling it straight up. Be alert for wasps. they love to nest in those A/C units.

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 06:42 PM   #10
Site Team

Airxcel makes the Tuffmax shroud. and it has a lifetime warranty to the original purchaser. It would indeed be the last one you'd ever buy under normal circumstances. Our shroud was chewed on by a rogue squirrel, and will get replaced with one of those.

https://www.airxcel.com/rv/maxxair/products/tuff-maxx

RVP stood for RV Products, owned by Coleman.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 07:50 AM   #11

I believe that I found the MaxxAir cover that I need. I pulled out about 6 bees nest that were huge! Glad they weren't active and I will get the rest out when I get the new cover.
Old 05-04-2020, 08:01 AM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wagntwister View Post
I believe that I found the MaxxAir cover that I need. I pulled out about 6 bees nest that were huge! Glad they weren't active and I will get the rest out when I get the new cover.
Based on my experience with the MaxxAir products I've purchased (I also have their vent covers installed over my roof vents), I think you'll be well satisfied with the quality and durability of the product.

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote