Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-02-2020, 04:20 PM   #1
CAG

Velvac Mirror Malfunction

I have an issue with the passenger side Velvac mirror. The right and down adjustments do not work. The up and left do. I had checked all of the wiring. Mainly for a disconnect and could not find it. I took it in to my local shop and they diagnosed a bad switch but it was going to be 3 weeks to get a part. I ordered the part, got it for less and in a week. Today I installed it. Same problem.

I will call the shop tomorrow since they said that the motor is fine and charged me $130 for the diagnosis but now I am wondering if anyone else might have had the same issue. It would certainly help the repair if so.

This is the standard chrome, camera installed mirror on most all Jayco 29MVP.

CAG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 05:19 PM   #2
Site Team

I'm not sure which model number you have, and you may already have this info, but here's a manual for some of them. Scroll down for wiring diagrams. It may be in the connection at the mirror itself. Just a thought.

file:///C:/Users/hrabchak/AppData/Lo...gram%20(1).pdf

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 05:36 PM   #3
CAG

That is not a URL but looks like a file from your computer. It doesn't work but thanks for the try. It might work if you use that to go to the Web page and then send me that. I went completely through Velvac's site and did not find a wiring diagram.

The shop told me they did a complete trouble shoot on the wiring and motor and both were fine. It is the switch, they say. Well, no it is not because the new switch does exactly the same thing.

Old 02-02-2020, 05:52 PM   #4
Site Team

Sorry about that. Here's the resources library area of the website. Scroll down to choose your mirror model number.

https://www.velvac.com/resources/fie...al-document-57

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
Old 02-02-2020, 05:55 PM   #5
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post
Sorry about that. Here's the resources library area of the website. Scroll down to choose your mirror model number.

https://www.velvac.com/resources/fie...al-document-57
Thanks! That info I found but since I don't know exactly what the problem is I am pretty much stumped. I was hoping that on an outside chance someone had run into this before.

Old 02-02-2020, 06:04 PM   #6
Site Team

No problem. I hope you get it straightened out.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
Old 03-06-2020, 03:06 PM   #7
CAG

An update with this problem.

I took this problem in to my local RV repair after not being able to track the problem. At first they diagnosed a bad switch but later determined that the switch was fine but the signal was not getting from the driver's side switch to the passenger's side mirror. Further work determined a broken wire someplace. So they ordered the new wire/cable and opened the dash. I am sorry to say that Jayco, who did the wiring of the vehicle once the started building the RV made a major mess of it. The wiring related to the RV that is under the dash and doghouse, including for the GPS etc looked like an explosion in a spaghetti factory. There were wires going everywhere. None were tied nor were they in any order under the dash. The shop took photos that I will send to Jayco if they ask but that has to be the most embarrassing attempt at wiring ever. In all of that was the mirror cable that was not tied up and was strung through the emergency brake mechanism under the dash so that every time the brake was applied it smashed the cable. It finally, at some point cut two wires to the passenger side mirror. The factory Ford wiring was fine and it appeared as though someone with some professional pride did that job. The other, grade school kids would have done better. To say I am POed is not accurate. Someone should have lost their job if that is how they are wiring these rigs. On top of that mess there were two wires that were crushed under the rim of the doghouse. They are not cut but had to be moved and tied up to get them out of the cover.

Now it is all tied up and appears to have something along the line of a plan for the wiring. Jayco should be ashamed and sadly since this is my fourth RV, so should many of the other manufactures. They are not much better.

Oh, and I am out of warranty but you can be sure that Jayco has heard from me on this one.

Old 03-06-2020, 04:40 PM   #8

BTDT. I had a few wires that had dropped down from the top and were crushed in the top of the engine cowl allowing massive amounts of heat to come out into the passenger compartment. I couldn't even put my phone up there for fear of it getting overheated.

Pulled off the doghouse to do some other work and tied those wires up out of the way. Now it seals properly. I tried to not look at what a mess it was back there because I didn't/don't have time to open it up and tidy it all up. Maybe I'll get to it this summer. I want to move some things around, so I'm going to have to dive in anyway; may as well make the extra time to tidy that all up while I'm in there...

Same with under the bed behind the breaker panel. It's a mess back there... And the grounds down on the frame? Another dumpster fire.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 06:05 PM   #9
CAG

Quote:
Same with under the bed behind the breaker panel. It's a mess back there... And the grounds down on the frame? Another dumpster fire.
I have asked that question before. Why all of the electrical under a bed? It seems like a major danger to me. How badly do you think you would get burned or the amount of smoke intake before you were able to get out of the bedroom. I cannot imagine that that situation/build was run past the lawyers before it was implemented.

Old 03-07-2020, 09:26 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
I have asked that question before. Why all of the electrical under a bed? It seems like a major danger to me. How badly do you think you would get burned or the amount of smoke intake before you were able to get out of the bedroom. I cannot imagine that that situation/build was run past the lawyers before it was implemented.
That and it's all really far away from the battery, the generator, and where the shore power comes into the rig. I guess it wouldn't work in my rig because it's in the slide, but under one of the the dinette seats would make more sense to me. The space under those seats is all but useless for me anyway.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote