Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-02-2019, 01:08 PM   #21

Yes. Mix up 2 gallons of hot water and OxiClean. Spread that solution on the roof and walk back and forth scrubbing it for at least 30 minutes, while adding more every 5 minutes. Rinse well and also rinse the sides, front and back.
Marmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 02:10 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmot View Post
Yes. Mix up 2 gallons of hot water and OxiClean. Spread that solution on the roof and walk back and forth scrubbing it for at least 30 minutes, while adding more every 5 minutes. Rinse well and also rinse the sides, front and back.
Awesome. Nothing in oxiclean will harm the roof?
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 02:19 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach View Post
Nope. When I did clean my roof I used OxyClean, or a knock off from the dollar store.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 02:41 PM   #24

Awesome. Ill give it a shot. Will it work on my white plastics up there too? Antenna, plumbing vent caps, ac cover etc?
Old 10-02-2019, 02:50 PM   #25

Yes but I found using the All Purpose Cleaner with bleach from the dollar store works better. Just spray it on, let it soak a minute, wipe it off. Wear old clothes because it is bleach. Then rinse the area with water or a wet rag.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 06:33 PM   #26

OxiClean

Quote:
No, it will not harm the roof.
Old 10-02-2019, 06:34 PM   #27

No, it will not harm the rubber roof.
Old 10-02-2019, 06:34 PM   #28

Quote:
I've got a pretty nasty situation on my hands. My camper has been living under the very edge of a walnut tree and today i went up to clean the roof. What i found was after 2 cleanings the roof is still very black and i can't get anything more to come off of it. Does anyone know what i can use that'll cut straight through that crap and give me a clean white roof again along with all the plastic covers that are up there. Heres the recipe i used provided by Bradley Miller

Let me know any tricks anyone has and ill try them.

Thanks.

Walnut tree sap and walnut juice from the outside hull are next to impossible to get out or off. They are one of the worst stains there is. Sounds like you have spent the time to get as much off as possible and I would leave it at that. I will say that in my experience the sun will bleach most of it out with time.
B&W Companion 5th Wheel

Centerville,TN
backpack1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 07:32 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by backpack1953 View Post
Walnut tree sap and walnut juice from the outside hull are next to impossible to get out or off. They are one of the worst stains there is. Sounds like you have spent the time to get as much off as possible and I would leave it at that. I will say that in my experience the sun will bleach most of it out with time.
You know it's bad stuff when it stains asphalt
crockettlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 10:21 PM   #30

We have the dreaded black walnut trees all around us. Old neighbor many years ago loved the stupid things and a red half a dozen around his yard and out in front of his house. Squirrels go crazy every fall putting them everywhere. They fall off the trees, stain the sidewalks and driveways, get hacked to pieces by lawnmowers. Fortunately, the winter snow and spring rains wash away the stains. Anyhow, enough of my venting, but I really do think having trees like that in a subdivision is a terrible idea! Our trailer is stored in a lot and covered for the winter, so roof and body are in great shape. I wash and wax regularly, though. As for roof, I just use the Camco roof cleaner 1-2 times per year applied with a small stuff brush broom and it comes out great every time. After cleaning it, I follow up with the roof protectant and I've never had any problems. I did do the eternabond this year on the seams and around all the usual rooftop stuff. Just getting to old to mess around with cleaning and caulking every couple years. Got rid of all loose caulk and cleaned it up real good, put the tape on and rolled it and it's all stuck on real good!
Rdubya44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 12:58 PM   #31

Walnut stained roof

Try mixing warm water and ammonia. It may not clean all of it off. I believe the ultraviolet sunlight will fade out whatever is left.

PS I use those walnut "casings", mixed with ammonia, in a mason jar. The strained solution makes a great wood stain.
Old 10-06-2019, 08:25 AM   #32

Have you tried the Magic eraser by Mr. Clean? My Brother-in-law uses it on his roof as his sits under a big oak tree, and it always does look clean. He did mention that it takes him awhile to do so but never the less it works.
Kgraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 09:30 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgraham View Post
Have you tried the Magic eraser by Mr. Clean? My Brother-in-law uses it on his roof as his sits under a big oak tree, and it always does look clean. He did mention that it takes him awhile to do so but never the less it works.

Magic Eraser works by releasing tiny plastic particles that are very sharp and abrasive.

I don't want to rub off or thin the already thin roof material so I would stay away from them. Here is a quote from How Stuff Works website.

To all outward appearances, however, melamine foam erasers look and feel just like any other sponge. To view the crucial properties of melamine foam, you need to go down to the microscopic level. This is because when melamine resin cures into foam, its microstructure becomes very hard -- almost as hard as glass -- causing it to perform on stains a lot like super-fine sandpaper.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote