Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-22-2019, 01:08 PM   #1

Walnut tree discoloration on roof.

I've got a pretty nasty situation on my hands. My camper has been living under the very edge of a walnut tree and today i went up to clean the roof. What i found was after 2 cleanings the roof is still very black and i can't get anything more to come off of it. Does anyone know what i can use that'll cut straight through that crap and give me a clean white roof again along with all the plastic covers that are up there. Heres the recipe i used provided by Bradley Miller

Let me know any tricks anyone has and ill try them.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot_20190921-230238_Facebook.jpg  
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 01:28 PM   #2

You might try vinegar, soap and water combination. I don't think it have any effect on roof membrane. I have seen posts in past about using vinegar for mold on the roof.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 03:07 PM   #3

I'm parked under a massive black walnut. I dont fret it, as I dont eat off the roof, and typically no one can see it.

I found Dawn dish soap and my car wash brush does the best job. I use to use a product call "Spray Power" by "Crown". It was fabulous, but I cannot find it any more.

I do ensure the gutter is clean. I even may spray it out between washes. As your familiar, if I do not I get a lot of brown streaks.

My big issue is the back wall of my TT. I park it abot 6-7 feet away from my garage. The falling walnuts hit the garage roof, get deflected, and hit the back wall. Around mid October the back wall looks like someone opened up and sprayed it with a paint ball gun. Of course it is all brown.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 03:57 PM   #4

Did anything you use fully remove it or just partially. My roof still looks like s$!t after using the combo i linked above with a car wash brush and a handheld brush.
Old 09-23-2019, 04:56 AM   #5

too roof mfg. recommends Murphy's oil soap, give it a try
cherv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 07:48 AM   #6

I stopped cleaning my roof. I only clean what is cosmetically visible from below. Life is far less stressful now.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 08:08 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
I stopped cleaning my roof. I only clean what is cosmetically visible from below. Life is far less stressful now.
Assuming you do yearly roof maintenance, does dicor or whatever roof sealant you use still stick?
crockettlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 12:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherv View Post
too roof mfg. recommends Murphy's oil soap, give it a try
Ive read petroleum products on these roofs are bad. Maybe murphys isnt that but the word "oil" raised a red flag for me. Just want to be sure before i try.
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 12:37 PM   #9

Quote:
I wash mine off not from a cosmetic standpoint but to get dirt, tree sap, and other contaminants off. Leaves, sticks, acorns, and various objects get caught under the edges of the vent, AC, and fridge vents as well. It will never be bright white again but it still is “clean” and will not be a dark dingy brown absorbing heat all day. I don’t think an out of sight, out of mind mentality is going to be good in the long run. Doesn’t take long with a ladder and a long handled brush to give her a quick scrub.
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 01:10 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by crockettlarry View Post
Assuming you do yearly roof maintenance, does dicor or whatever roof sealant you use still stick?
However I haven't had to do anything to it yet. I inspect twice a year, spring and late summer/early fall. On our last trailer I did keep the roof clean. When I did use Eternabond on a length of molding it needed to be prepped the same as it would whether the roof was kept clean or not. Nothing is going to stick to dirt for very long. I'm hoping that I can do Eternabond on the equivelent seam on this trailer before it gets cold out, and before the Dicor starts to peel up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwby View Post
I wash mine off not from a cosmetic standpoint but to get dirt, tree sap, and other contaminants off. Leaves, sticks, acorns, and various objects get caught under the edges of the vent, AC, and fridge vents as well. It will never be bright white again but it still is “clean” and will not be a dark dingy brown absorbing heat all day. I don’t think an out of sight, out of mind mentality is going to be good in the long run. Doesn’t take long with a ladder and a long handled brush to give her a quick scrub.
Leaves, sticks, etc, yes. That should go without saying. I stand on a ladder and hose them off. However outside of that I haven't seen or read anything that suggests a clean roof lasts longer. My trailer is parked on the side of our garage. I can clearly see the roof below one of our bedroom windows. In early spring the roof was nearly black. It's now about clean as I've ever gotten it by scrubbing it. Any additional heat absorbed by a dirty roof is negligible.

BTW we keep our trailers for 10 years. Aside from faded graphics they look better after 10 years than most I've seen after 3 years. So don't think I ignore maintenance. Cleaning the roof is just one of those things I've learned isn't worth the bang for the buck.
Old 09-23-2019, 01:21 PM   #11

Well we didn’t gather that from your short previous post lol. You made it sound like you didn’t even bother. No mention of hosing it down and getting the stuff off nor the 2nd floor inspection ability. I see the other campers at the campground when I go up my ladder. There are some that have never seen a hose like your post eluded to and are so dirty they look dark brown. That’s what your post sounded like when I read it again. I’ll guarantee those brown dirty neglected roofs are absorbing heat like crazy and most likely leaking or soon to be from lack of maintenance.
I was trying to clarify for a new person who might read these reply’s because absolutely nothing goes without saying in this world anymore. It’s all good
Old 09-23-2019, 01:36 PM   #12

Quote:
Well we didn’t gather that from your short previous post lol. You made it sound like you didn’t even bother. No mention of hosing it down and getting the stuff off nor the 2nd floor inspection ability. I see the other campers at the campground when I go up my ladder. There are some that have never seen a hose like your post eluded to and are so dirty they look dark brown. That’s what your post sounded like when I read it again. I’ll guarantee those brown dirty neglected roofs are absorbing heat like crazy and most likely leaking or soon to be from lack of maintenance.
I was trying to clarify for a new person who might read these reply’s because absolutely nothing goes without saying in this world anymore. It’s all good
Sorry for the confusion, but to me cleaning and removing debris are different things. Hosing it down is not cleaning, not the way I take cleaning to mean. Cleaning to me involves using soap of some kind and a brush. Stains from trees are usually cosmetic and are not something I bother with, and that's the context of the OP.
Old 09-23-2019, 02:01 PM   #13

Quote:
However I haven't had to do anything to it yet. I inspect twice a year, spring and late summer/early fall. On our last trailer I did keep the roof clean. When I did use Eternabond on a length of molding it needed to be prepped the same as it would whether the roof was kept clean or not. Nothing is going to stick to dirt for very long. I'm hoping that I can do Eternabond on the equivelent seam on this trailer before it gets cold out, and before the Dicor starts to peel up.

Leaves, sticks, etc, yes. That should go without saying. I stand on a ladder and hose them off. However outside of that I haven't seen or read anything that suggests a clean roof lasts longer. My trailer is parked on the side of our garage. I can clearly see the roof below one of our bedroom windows. In early spring the roof was nearly black. It's now about clean as I've ever gotten it by scrubbing it. Any additional heat absorbed by a dirty roof is negligible.

BTW we keep our trailers for 10 years. Aside from faded graphics they look better after 10 years than most I've seen after 3 years. So don't think I ignore maintenance. Cleaning the roof is just one of those things I've learned isn't worth the bang for the buck.
I hate eternabond. I had to replace part of a roof because water got under it and I didn't know it. I don't currently have any but I may carry it just for emergency repairs
Old 09-23-2019, 02:10 PM   #14

Quote:
I hate eternabond. I had to replace part of a roof because water got under it and I didn't know it. I don't currently have any but I may carry it just for emergency repairs
You are one of the few I have ever heard say anything negative about it. I was tickled with it on my last trailer. And when I traded it the dealer didn't bat an eyelash about being on the roof.
Old 09-23-2019, 02:20 PM   #15

Quote:
Hate Eternabond?! Is that even possible....it’s the Duct Tape of the RV World, I keep a roll in both campers and tape every seam I have.
Old 09-23-2019, 02:27 PM   #16

Quote:
Hate Eternabond?! Is that even possible....it’s the Duct Tape of the RV World, I keep a roll in both campers and tape every seam I have.
Now that you mention it, I noticed when we got our trailer that Eternabond, or a knock off, is used on the joint between the slide frame and the roof membrane on top the slide. It makes me wonder why they aren't using it for all roof joints.
Old 09-23-2019, 03:16 PM   #17

Yes. I was unable to inspect the seams after application. Water got in and whammo.

The good thing that came out of it was that I was able to talk the then wife into taking the camper to Florida you have one of those fancy spray on roof repairs. It was fantastic. If I have the money, I would have it done on my brand new one.
Old 09-23-2019, 03:32 PM   #18

Quote:
Yes. I was unable to inspect the seams after application. Water got in and whammo.

The good thing that came out of it was that I was able to talk the then wife into taking the camper to Florida you have one of those fancy spray on roof repairs. It was fantastic. If I have the money, I would have it done on my brand new one.
I’ve looked into that, it’s still on the table as a possibility. It would be peace of mind knowing my roof was armored and seamless.
Old 09-23-2019, 04:00 PM   #19

It was absolutely beautiful. I'm not sure but some of the pictures on the website might be my trailer.

When I sold Campers at Camping World, I told my buyers that if they don't take care of anything else, take care of the roof
Old 09-23-2019, 06:48 PM   #20

Quote:
Sorry for the confusion, but to me cleaning and removing debris are different things. Hosing it down is not cleaning, not the way I take cleaning to mean. Cleaning to me involves using soap of some kind and a brush. Stains from trees are usually cosmetic and are not something I bother with, and that's the context of the OP.
I'm with you Doc. In 7 years I've never actually "cleaned" my roof and it still looks pretty good. Mother nature does it for me. I dunno but I can't seem to take a washing brush/soap to scrub a synthetic material as it seems I'd be removing some of the integrity of the roof material itself. Maybe if I were in the OP's shoes I'd probably try though.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote