Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-29-2017, 10:24 AM   #1

Warranty experience

Hey guys, I just wonder if we are unique here in Northwest, or this is an industry-wide thing with RV warranty...
I have few small issues with my trailer after couple first outings this year, biggest of them was a leak in shower drain. I first reported the issue on Apr 19th to my local jayco dealer, told to bring it in on May 9th to get in line for the shop. Now it's Memorial day, I checked with them on Friday, the trailer haven't seen the shop yet, but they told me it'll be this week.
Now I got a recall notice from Jayco about Led lights that can overheat and melt, they don't have a replacement parts yet, so I have to bring the trailer in again at the end of June to get in line (sit on the lot for July 4th) and hopefully get a fix by Labour day, at which point you probably get where in going...
The good thing, I get a free parking for RV, but I wonder what I am paying for if my rv had to be at the dealer for most of the camping season...
I can compare it with cars, Noone can imagine leaving a new car at the dealer for warranty repairs for 4 months without at least getting a free rental..

Jay flight Slx 174BH Baja
Ukrainian_Kozak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 10:36 AM   #2

I've had very good experiences with my Jayco dealer. We've had a our trailers in for warranty service a maybe 3 or 4 times. All have been by appointment, and the work has been completed on schedule. They always ask me for a work deadline, ("How soon do you need it back?") and then they meet the deadline. There are probably times and situations where they can't do that, depending on the warranty work involved, but I've been a very happy camper. (Yes, that's a bad pun.)

Roger

TV 2010 Ford F-150 Supercab
TT 2016 Jay Feather 23RLSW
rkresge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 10:42 AM   #3

We've been back to the dealer so far for a beat-up coupler issue, a bad LED awning light, and a bad power jack. We are currently waiting on a new cabinet door because one developed a split all the way through the wood. When that door shows up, we will have the ceiling lights replaced at the same time. Haven't used the trailer a single time yet, so can't wait to see what starts breaking when it's actually used.

When we have an issue, they usually tell us it will be weeks before they will get around to looking at it, but after we express our displeasure with that time frame, they usually get it done in a few days. Just keep calling until you find somebody that gives you the answer you want. And then call some more so they don't forget.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bearcat77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 11:50 AM   #4

Uk_Kozak. You have an abusive dealer. Time to fire the dealer and go someplace else. It may just be they don't want to do anything other than sell RV's. That may be the reason for the treatment you are getting.
Oklahoma Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 02:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukrainian_Kozak View Post
Hey guys, I just wonder if we are unique here in Northwest, or this is an industry-wide thing with RV warranty...
I have few small issues with my trailer after couple first outings this year, biggest of them was a leak in shower drain. I first reported the issue on Apr 19th to my local jayco dealer, told to bring it in on May 9th to get in line for the shop. Now it's Memorial day, I checked with them on Friday, the trailer haven't seen the shop yet, but they told me it'll be this week.
Now I got a recall notice from Jayco about Led lights that can overheat and melt, they don't have a replacement parts yet, so I have to bring the trailer in again at the end of June to get in line (sit on the lot for July 4th) and hopefully get a fix by Labour day, at which point you probably get where in going...
The good thing, I get a free parking for RV, but I wonder what I am paying for if my rv had to be at the dealer for most of the camping season...
I can compare it with cars, Noone can imagine leaving a new car at the dealer for warranty repairs for 4 months without at least getting a free rental..

I would not let my trailer sit on a dealers lot mid summer to get some lights fixed, schedule it for after labor day.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 02:57 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer330 View Post
I would not let my trailer sit on a dealers lot mid summer to get some lights fixed, schedule it for after labor day.
I agree!

If you bought your trailer from Valley in Kent, they are always busy this time of year. You might consider calling Carl at Blade RV in Mt. Vernon re: warranty. They have just expanded their service dept. However, all dealers are extremely busy this time of year.

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 03:45 PM   #7

My biggest rant is about RV sitting on their lot for weeks to get in line for the shop... Why can't I bring it when I have my turn. I get that service folks may get busy I don't get why I should not be able to use my RV while I'm waiting for my turn.

Ukrainian_Kozak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 05:10 PM   #8

Just wandering if any one has experienced plywood floor squeaks Plywood not screwed down and separations in the tongue and groove joints in their new 5th wheel? My need $70,000 has major issues and I was told because they are back logged servicing new rv that just came in and sold! Sales now, service repairs in the winter!
kdduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 05:11 PM   #9

Just wandering if any one has experienced plywood floor squeaks Plywood not screwed down and separations in the tongue and groove joints in their new 5th wheel? My need $70,000 has major issues and I was told because they are back logged servicing new rv that just came in and sold! Sales now, service repairs in the winter!
kdduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 05:56 PM   #10

Our 16 Eagle had a floor split running from dinning room table across to stove.Repair made all flooring covering replaced floor still squeaks.Heading back to warranty!
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 05:59 PM   #11

That's what they do and that's what they get away with.
Old 09-26-2017, 06:58 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkresge View Post
I've had very good experiences with my Jayco dealer. We've had a our trailers in for warranty service a maybe 3 or 4 times. All have been by appointment, and the work has been completed on schedule. They always ask me for a work deadline, ("How soon do you need it back?") and then they meet the deadline. There are probably times and situations where they can't do that, depending on the warranty work involved, but I've been a very happy camper. (Yes, that's a bad pun.)

Roger
This has been our experience as well. We're pleased with the service department at the dealership and how they've worked with us on the minor warranty issues that have come up and it was mostly to address quality control items that should have been caught at the factory.

NCMFFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 07:28 AM   #13

In Las Vegas, I asked the service manager why they didn't hire more people to handle the volume...

His reply was "We drug test".....
So I inferred from that to be new hires can't pass a drug test.
Old 09-26-2017, 07:45 AM   #14

The dealer I purchased my TT didn't impress me with their service department when I went to pick up the rig after purchase. All day to move the WDH from the old TT and then not set up right.

Went to a different dealer with several warranty issues---a whole different experience. Set up appointment and asked to drop a day or two early. When I asked about it, I was told "we want to make sure the unit is here if the tech is able to get to it earlier". WOW!!!. Dropped the trailer on Tuesday for a Thursday appointment and called on Wednesday with what they found. Was told with the exception of a part ordered from Jayco, it would be ready Thursday morning, and it would my option to either leave it for about 10 days while the part came in OR I could pick it up, use it, and they would call when they had UPS verification the part was on it's way. I picked it up for a weekend trip and dropped it off afterwards. Dealer called 8 days later and said the part was in, installed and the TT was ready for pickup.

And my new favorite service department agreed the WDH was installed wrong, took the truck, correctly installed the hitch AT NO CHARGE. The service manager said "we want our customers to be safe while traveling". He and his staff have a philosophy of trying to do the best job they can for the customer, scheduling smart, and doing it right.

And the dealer:

Camping World of Valdosta, GA (located on I-75, Lake Park, GA at mile 5 exit, just north of the Florida line).
ifallsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 08:44 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsnapper View Post
In Las Vegas, I asked the service manager why they didn't hire more people to handle the volume...

His reply was "We drug test".....
So I inferred from that to be new hires can't pass a drug test.
That's non sense. Everyone is on drugs? Sounds like he doesn't look hard enough for good people. Better yet, he's not really interested in hiring another hand.
Old 09-26-2017, 09:44 AM   #16

Warranty Experence

Its not so much the workmanship from the dealer for us.But over the last 24 months the camper probably set at the dealer 3 months.With the volume of repairs needing to be done.That is where Jayco washes there hands clean.Simply stating we cannot control that.They could but won't in my humble opinion.
Old 09-26-2017, 10:01 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jloco View Post
That's non sense. Everyone is on drugs? Sounds like he doesn't look hard enough for good people. Better yet, he's not really interested in hiring another hand.

I should have went on to say that they bought another lot for another 12 service bays.....

Finding qualified RV techs (Jiffy lube experience does not count) who can also pass a drug test is/seems to be, a tough nut to crack.
Old 09-26-2017, 11:14 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jloco View Post
Bingo!
Most companies have a very difficult time finishing sentences. What the owner meant to say was "We can't find any highly qualified individuals will to work for low pay and no benefits, that can pass a drug test"
The same inability to complete sentences also happens with lots of other companies that "can't find qualified workers".

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
DanNJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 11:26 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanNJanice View Post
Bingo!
Most companies have a very difficult time finishing sentences. What the owner meant to say was "We can't find any highly qualified individuals will to work for low pay and no benefits, that can pass a drug test"
The same inability to complete sentences also happens with lots of other companies that "can't find qualified workers".
Agree with this completely and it's starting to impact more skilled professions.

Labor is at a shortage right now in many industries, which is really good news for the American worker, but not so much for the business owners that are used to getting their labor at a discount.

Gone are the days when people with advanced degrees, are trying to score positions at McDonalds.... thank god. And wages are starting to trickle upwards again thanks to natural market forces instead of government intervention.

The only down side is inflation like we haven't seen in a while.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 12:59 PM   #20

Hey Fallsguy, we are just north of you in Vienna, GA. Nothing but cotton, peanuts, soybeans, corn, deer and those gnats around here. Just getting into digital. Trying to figure it all out.
Joe
KF4SRO

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote