Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-22-2023, 07:37 AM   #1

Water Damage/Rot

Hello. New to the forum, so forgive me if Im not posting this in the correct area. My wife and I recently purchased a 2004 Jayco 31BHS on a seasonal campsite in Wisconsin. Seller had owned it since new and had supposedly taken great care of it. On the surface, its a very decent travel trailer for its age. Looks nice, no funky smells, and all systems are functional (no electrical, heating/cooling, electrical, etc. issues). However, four days after purchasing the trailer, my wife I noticed significant water damage/rot in the front end (both front corners from top to bottom are completely rotted) as well as some in the ceiling over one of the rear bunks (maybe a 12x12 area). We notified the seller immediately, and he told us he would make it right. Fast forward a week, we have not heard back from him. Long story long, wondering if these are repairs I can do myself. Im fairly mechanically inclined and worked as a carpenter for several years in my early 20s. I also have many tools and a pole barn I can store/work on the trailer in over the fall and winter. Any help, information will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
steveandmeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2023, 10:07 AM   #2

Sounds like your “caps” are leaking or have leaked in the past. I could speculate but you really need to schedule a visit to an RV roof expert because I suspect some of the roof structure has to be rebuilt because likely the leak started there and worked it’s way down. Once the screws come loose on the cap flashing the water heads down under the membrane roof and inside. Usually the screws come loose because the wood that the cap screws into is rotted.

If you remove some screws from the flashing and they are rusted on the entire length this will be a good indication of long term leakage.
Old 08-22-2023, 10:21 AM   #3

If you want to see exactly what is involved in doing this repair, go to YouTube and search for. AZExpert. He has some videos doing this exact repair and tells you what to use and how to do it. Plus James is a good guy and sometimes has time to answer questions.
My son and I looked at a 100% repaired roof leak on a used TT once. A 3”x 3”x 12” glob of silicone caulk up on the front corner.
Kevin Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2023, 11:45 AM   #4

There are some posts on this forum rebuilding camper rot. Some turned into rebuilding the whole camper. We take good care of our campers. When we traded our 32BHDS, they found leaks in the same area. Still did the trade, but for less than we wanted. From your description, I would try to get your money back. Sounds like a lot of rot.
2012 Jayco 32 BHDS: Long Gone
2007 R-Vision 25: Long Long Gone
1965 Frolic Cabover: My First RV
Bugzilla46310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2023, 12:19 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Cooper View Post
If you want to see exactly what is involved in doing this repair, go to YouTube and search for. AZExpert. He has some videos doing this exact repair and tells you what to use and how to do it. Plus James is a good guy and sometimes has time to answer questions.
My son and I looked at a 100% repaired roof leak on a used TT once. A 3x 3x 12 glob of silicone caulk up on the front corner.
X2 on AZ Expert. Look up his videos on roof repairs