Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-07-2018, 04:39 AM   #1

Water Filter Replacement

I have a brand new 2018 Redhawk 25R and have finally discovered where the whole house water filter was installed, right under the bathroom sink. "Great!" you say, nope it's a horrible spot. My issue is that where the filter was installed the bottom of it is sitting on the cabinet base! So I have to gently pull the bottom of the filter towards me to get the filter wrench on, trying not to pull it off the wall. Once I got the filter wrench on and I started to loosen the filter, the whole assembly popped off the wall as you need more torque to loosen the housing than the small screws and particle board will support. I gave up after about 30 minutes of trying to unscrew with one hand and hold the bracket on the wall with the other, all while contorting myself in between the toilet and the cabinet.
Anyone else in a similar situation with their filter location? Any advice as to the best way to remove the filter housing without causing too much damage? The only reason I'm attempting to do this is because I found a brand new filter in one of my drawers and I'm assuming the housing is empty.
JaytheDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 05:46 AM   #2

I would attach the unit back as best I could, and just use an inline filter at the water spigot. The water filter was under the kitchen sink close to the outside wall in our old GH31ss, I used a filler pipe and used a filter at the spigot. Much easier to deal with.
Equalizer WDH
TV 2018 F150 FX4 SC 3.5EB TP/MT
jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 09:45 AM   #3

I would remove the housing , plumb in a small piece of line (probably PEX), if you don't want to do any plumbing, just remove and dispose of the cartridge in the housing, and use an inline filter attached to the hose. You will never have to deal with it again.
Gord60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 09:53 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaytheDJ View Post
I have a brand new 2018 Redhawk 25R and have finally discovered where the whole house water filter was installed, right under the bathroom sink. "Great!" you say, nope it's a horrible spot. My issue is that where the filter was installed the bottom of it is sitting on the cabinet base! So I have to gently pull the bottom of the filter towards me to get the filter wrench on, trying not to pull it off the wall. Once I got the filter wrench on and I started to loosen the filter, the whole assembly popped off the wall as you need more torque to loosen the housing than the small screws and particle board will support. I gave up after about 30 minutes of trying to unscrew with one hand and hold the bracket on the wall with the other, all while contorting myself in between the toilet and the cabinet.
Anyone else in a similar situation with their filter location? Any advice as to the best way to remove the filter housing without causing too much damage? The only reason I'm attempting to do this is because I found a brand new filter in one of my drawers and I'm assuming the housing is empty.

Mine in my 5th Wheel was mounted the same way, only in storage compartment. You should be able to move filter to a better location and secure it properly with the correct fasteners so it isn't such a problem changing the filter each time.
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote