Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-18-2018, 08:00 AM   #21

My off-road POPUP trailer only has the fresh water tank and the Suburban SW6DE Water Heater.

I open the HOT and COLD Spigot at the sink and also open the HOT WATER relief valve and drain everything through the LOW POINT water drain valve... It does leave about a 1/2-inch of water in the bottom of the hot water tank. Actually about the same amount of water even if you drain from the bottom port of the hot water heater...

My fresh water tank drains completely through the LOW POINT drain valve.

We don't consume anything from the fresh water tank. Always bring along bottled water for drinking and cooking.... No real reason just got in the habit of bringing along a couple of bottle of bottled water... WE also freeze the bottled water and then sit them inside the small fridge on the day of the trip to help get the fridge going quicker when we arrive at the camp site....

It has never been a freeze thing for me of having alittle bit of water remaining in the bottom of the Hot Water heater as there is alot of expansion room inside the hot water tank for any ice that might form...

My bottom port is also where the ANODE ROD is located. I do look at it once a year usually at the end of the camping season for me. This is usually the only time I will do a good water tank inspection. I just hate to have to remove the bottom port of the water heater just for draining water... Just let it drain out through the water system works good for me...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 07:35 PM   #22

I hadn't considered using the low point drain to empty the water heater after each trip. I just tried it out, and even with an unfavorable slope, the low point drain emptied my water heater at least to the level of the drain plug. It took longer than the drain plug (even with faucets and the relief valve open), but it did work. I think I'll use this process going forward.
gocubsgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 07:52 PM   #23

The advantage of pulling the plug is you can flush the tank and the scale that will build up in it. The scale will not be flushed out by using the low point drain. I'm going on my 4th year with the original plug, thought I do have several I carry with me.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 06:09 PM   #24

I replaced the nylon plug on my Jayco Quest TSL with a brass plug. Have had no issues with it being brass.
Farmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 06:48 PM   #25
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmall View Post
I replaced the nylon plug on my Jayco Quest TSL with a brass plug. Have had no issues with it being brass.
You still need to remove it and flush out the scale every year. Watch out for corrosion from different metals. Also be careful not to cross thread it.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 11:59 AM   #26

Replaced mine with a brass plug with a little twist handle that works like the old radiator drain plugs. Never have to take it out, just open, drain, and close. Camper World has them.
rhouthoofd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 05:46 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33 RLDS View Post
I don't use tape on my plastic plugs and never had a leak. They come in a 2 pack on Amazon and I keep spares handy and I replaced it this spring only because it looked dirty and the new ones were nice and clean. Lol
I agree. No Teflon tape. Get new plug.
bgelyhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 06:05 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01tundra View Post
Life's too short to be messing with that plug every time, see posts #101 & 102 -

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...-41831-11.html
Yup! Exactly! Installing a hose and valve is easy to do and it tucks right in the bottom of the water heater compartment. Also avoids water flooding out through the compartment floor when you drain the tank.
Hollander Mutthaulers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 09:38 AM   #29

I'm a plumber of 45 years exp. always use a little liquid Teflon pipe dope plus that tape so the threads are lubricated and won't bind. I will never use just Teflon tape again because I don't' like doing things twice
195 RB
Toyota Tacoma
larryrebos is offline   Reply With Quote