Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-13-2022, 11:21 AM   #1

Water Heater Maintenance - Jinxed or doing it wrong

Ok, either I'm jinxed or doing this water heater maintenance wrong...
Did the water heater flush maintenance this AM...it's been two years
all flushed fine with really no dirt/grime/residue coming out, was really clean.
checked the gas flue and such, all fairly clean still. Checked the gas operation,
works. Turned that off, then turned the electric switch back on and switch LED not lighting again. Pulled the DC fuse and it's good, turned the AC circuit breaker off and back on, still no LED light...double checked the connections on the wires outside...water did get on the diode from the pressure relief valve during the flush, but checks ok... ?? not sure what I'm doing wrong other than not pulling the DC fuse in addition to turning the switch off. Would think the switch would isolate the path between the fuse and the circuit board outside ??? Not sure why when I do this the electric switch LED blows…heat element still works as water gets hot...Confounding!
(2019 NP 383FKWS)
(2019 RAM 3500 DRW Big Horn)
Topperace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 06:04 AM   #2

You did make sure the tank was refilled before turning on the gas and electric elements, right? They can burn out very quickly if the tank is empty.
Old 02-14-2022, 07:28 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topperace View Post
Ok, either I'm jinxed or doing this water heater maintenance wrong...
Did the water heater flush maintenance this AM...it's been two years
all flushed fine with really no dirt/grime/residue coming out, was really clean.
checked the gas flue and such, all fairly clean still. Checked the gas operation,
works. Turned that off, then turned the electric switch back on and switch LED not lighting again. Pulled the DC fuse and it's good, turned the AC circuit breaker off and back on, still no LED light...double checked the connections on the wires outside...water did get on the diode from the pressure relief valve during the flush, but checks ok... ?? not sure what I'm doing wrong other than not pulling the DC fuse in addition to turning the switch off. Would think the switch would isolate the path between the fuse and the circuit board outside ??? Not sure why when I do this the electric switch LED blows…heat element still works as water gets hot...Confounding!
Probably the light in the switch is not working. Is the water getting hot? Check for 120 volts at the heater connection
Old 02-14-2022, 07:38 AM   #4

The LED lights on those switches are notorious for failing. On my 2020 Eagle I have replaced the three OEM switches already. The Jayco factory warranty replacement is no better than the original. I have found replacements on Amazon and eTrailer. Though it makes it hard to know when the switch is on (other than looking at its position) the light does not affect the function of the switch. If you are getting hot water after the switch has been on long enough for the water to heat - you are in good shape.
The switches are easy to replace. I've done that enough times to say so.
2020 Eagle HT 30.5 CKTS Modern Farmhouse (16" wheels, spring shackles set on lower hole of frame, SumoSprings TSS-107-40, standard kingpin, B&W Companion slider, TST-507 TPMS, Progressive Industries hardwired 50A EMS HW-50C)
2019 F250 SRW SuperCab 4X4 SB 6.2 (10,000# GVW) 3.73 Axle 18" wheels
Nature Ist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 07:53 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjones211 View Post
You did make sure the tank was refilled before turning on the gas and electric elements, right? They can burn out very quickly if the tank is empty.
Yes, I had just finished refilling the tank, waited for water to come out of pressure relief valve. Closed that and then drained a little of the water to provide space at top of tank. Had Both electric and gas switches off before flushing tank.
I always check gas first for a minute or two and adjust flue vent if needed…worked fine. Then fo back to electric…. electric works and heats fine afterwards, just the LED in the switch blows…
Old 02-14-2022, 07:55 AM   #6

Like Bill and Nature 1st stated… the LED is notorious for burning out.

Thanks all for the inputs!
Old 02-14-2022, 08:17 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topperace View Post
Like Bill and Nature 1st stated… the LED is notorious for burning out.

Thanks all for the inputs!
Might be able to buy an LED on amazon that will work just connect between the two terminals. Drill a small hole just above or next to the switch and screw in the led housing you will never need to replace the switch, they come in many colors. Check the voltage at the switch and get that voltage
Attached Thumbnails
led light.jpg  
Old 02-17-2022, 09:21 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Johnson View Post
Might be able to buy an LED on amazon that will work just connect between the two terminals. Drill a small hole just above or next to the switch and screw in the led housing you will never need to replace the switch, they come in many colors. Check the voltage at the switch and get that voltage
Thanks Bill. I find that Mouser Electronics has the exact same switch and is a dependable supplier FYI. Found them the last time the switch went out.

While I realize the LED is trivial, I like it because it let's me know that the electric portion is on/powered, etc.
(2019 NP 383FKWS)
(2019 RAM 3500 DRW Big Horn)