Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-25-2013, 10:14 AM   #1

water heater valve replacement

Hi all. I just discovered this forum and find it really informative. However, I am having a problem with my valves on my water heater. Two of the three valves spin freely, so I realize they need replaced. Currently, they must be locked shut because I can not get any water to my water heater, thus no hot water while camping. I need to know the best way to replace these valves, such as what tools are needed etc. Also, what is the best way to get the little metal clips off the piping that holds them in place? I would just take it in for service, but I really love doing these type of things myself so that I can learn. Thank you for any help.
rbmundt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 11:28 AM   #2

I'm not familiar with your RV, however most use what is called PEX for water lines. PEX is a semi-flexible hose/tubing that uses little metal compression clamps. If you google PEX installation you will see several youtube videos explaining how to work with it. I broke a winterizing valve on mine when I first got her, learned how to work with PEX and now I'm prepared for the next time it happens. Just a word of warning, if you have never worked with PEX previously, the cost of tools is pretty steep, good thing they are a one time purchase.

2003 Coleman Bayside / 2011 Jayco Jayfeather X20E -- RIP
2012 Tacoma Sport DCSB / 2013 Tundra SR5 - RIP
Heady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 01:32 PM   #3

My valve knob at my water heater broke off in my hand when I dewinterized this spring. Could not see bringing it in for just that so I went to my dealer and he gave me a replacement free(warranty). It was a compression type fitting valve so that you just cut the pipe to allow for new valve and tighten the nuts. I used a 1/2" copper tube cutter on the pipe but could have used a hack saw if I had room. To cut off the old clamps I used a thin cutting disk on my disk grinder while holding the valve with pliers. If you had a small rotary type grinder it would probably work better. The new valve looks much stronger then the original.
equalizer 1000# hitch
bigbird is offline   Reply With Quote