Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-24-2014, 07:18 AM   #1

Water leak

I have a leak on the inside down over the living area. I have sealed the roof as much as I can. So what I am going to do is take down the ceiling and look for the leak. Is it hard to take the ceiling down?

It is 2001 29rks
hotrodbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 07:54 AM   #2

Unless your ceiling is significantly damaged and you plan to replace it in some way, my suggestion would be to leave the ceiling in place and to search for the leak in some other way. I'm thinking removing the ceiling without a lot of damage to it is impossible. Also, even if you open up the ceiling in some area, it will probably not be helpful because of how far a leak can travel before it becomes apparent.

Leaks can be found with a pressure test. Dealers with the required equipment can pressurize (slightly) the interior of your trailer with a powerful fan and do a soap bubble test to find the leaks.

You've searched the roof carefully for leaks; how about the clearance lights? Air conditioner roof gasket? Antenna "O" rings? And any fixture on the side of the trailer.

I think if you keep looking for the leak, you'll find it.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 05:56 PM   #3

We had a leak in the ceiling of our Skylark. Water would drip down through the ceiling where the smoke detector was mounted and into the smoke detector before dripping on the floor. Several inspections revealed no holes in the rubber roof. It turned out to be coming from the TV antenna mount. There was a small slot at the back of the antenna base that appeared to be a vent, but was letting the water in. We also had to replace the smoke detector once the leak was fixed.