Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-24-2021, 01:18 PM   #1

Water Leak

Back in May we purchased our 2018 Jayco Jayflight 21QB. The previous owners were a couple about 80 yoa and they were very nice. The gentleman commented they had kept it under an RV carport and the only time it sat outside was when they were using it. On our first trip, it came a hard rain and we noticed water coming out from between the outer wall and floor just in front of the front passenger side window. I checked the window seal and everything looked good but I cleaned the excess butyl seal and used geocell sealant per Jayco’s recommendation to seal the upper and both sides of the window. It still leaked. I then resealed around the door and all outside “entrance” points. Still leaked. I looked at the awning and everything looked good. I tightened the screws holding the windows to their inner frames, still leaked. Today I decided to do a close inspection of the roof line and awning mounting points. I noticed a loose plastic cover inside the uppermost front awning mount where the wires go into the trailer. I pulled off the loose plastic cover and found that the hole the wires fed into was completely open and no sealant at all. I filled that hole in with copious amounts of geocell and put the cover back on and sealed it too. 30 minutes after I finished it began a very hard rain. It is still raining but when it lets up I am going to check my handy work. Crossing my fingers.
Attached Thumbnails
43A1A282-7755-4E22-B974-AAC36498AC20.jpg  
Old 08-24-2021, 02:17 PM   #2

The rain finally stopped and I checked my handy work….. NO LEAK !!!! WooHoo !!! Time to plan our next camping trip!
Old 08-24-2021, 02:22 PM   #3

Its great when you find the problem and fix it yourself isn't it?

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 08:14 AM   #4

Dry your camper out well with dehumidifier!!! We had same issue in 2018 keystone, by time we figured out where leak was from, water damaged slide wall and floor around the near the door. Camper was eventually totalled.
DBuley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 11:30 AM   #5

I went ahead and pulled the wall open to let it dry out. Not too big of a job, then placed a battery operated fan blowing on the area. After it dries out, I will apply some mold killer even though I do not see evidence of any. Actually, no evidence of long term water damage. We plan to keep this TT for a long time, so it is worth the extra steps.
Old 08-26-2021, 12:21 PM   #6

Congrats on finding that! There’s nothing worse than tracking down water leaks. It continues to amaze (and frustrate) me how workers can be so careless. Great post, though. I just looked at mine (same rig) and it looks like it has a pretty good seal there. Not that there aren’t enough other flaws...
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 02:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSaxy View Post
Back in May we purchased our 2018 Jayco Jayflight 21QB. The previous owners were a couple about 80 yoa and they were very nice. The gentleman commented they had kept it under an RV carport and the only time it sat outside was when they were using it. On our first trip, it came a hard rain and we noticed water coming out from between the outer wall and floor just in front of the front passenger side window. I checked the window seal and everything looked good but I cleaned the excess butyl seal and used geocell sealant per Jayco’s recommendation to seal the upper and both sides of the window. It still leaked. I then resealed around the door and all outside “entrance” points. Still leaked. I looked at the awning and everything looked good. I tightened the screws holding the windows to their inner frames, still leaked. Today I decided to do a close inspection of the roof line and awning mounting points. I noticed a loose plastic cover inside the uppermost front awning mount where the wires go into the trailer. I pulled off the loose plastic cover and found that the hole the wires fed into was completely open and no sealant at all. I filled that hole in with copious amounts of geocell and put the cover back on and sealed it too. 30 minutes after I finished it began a very hard rain. It is still raining but when it lets up I am going to check my handy work. Crossing my fingers.
Thanks to you, MrSaxy, I checked the front awning arm and, guess what? While most of that hole had globs of black caulk around the wires, there is still an open dime-sized hole with no sealant. It’s pretty protected in the rain and covered when the awning arm is up. But I’ll fill it. Question: did you plug the hole with something before caulking it? That’s a lot of hole to fill!

Thanks for sharing your discovery. Every 212QB owner should check this.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
Old 08-31-2021, 03:09 PM   #8

I actually dug through my “stash” of stuff I keep thinking I might need something in the future and found a grommet that fit the opening pretty good, I just had to open the center large enough for the wires to fit. I then split the grommet, slipped it over the wires, split side down and squeezed it into the opening. It looked pretty good then I applied liberal amounts of Geocell ProFlex sealant all over everything.
Old 08-31-2021, 03:17 PM   #9

Great idea. Looking through my junk boxes now!
Old 08-31-2021, 03:57 PM   #10

Used a chunk of foam pipe wrap to fill it then put Proflex over it. Didn’t leak before but it definitely won’t now. Thanks again MrSaxy.
Attached Thumbnails
6AA0C2EA-C6FC-4B3B-A51D-F3E8099E6037.jpg   9B58B6FE-876C-4031-8778-A28190FA10A5.jpg  
Old 08-31-2021, 06:20 PM   #11

I want to know where you get that plastic cover. None came with my trailer.

"We'll be friends until we're old and senile,....then we'll be new friends."
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 06:39 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by muckinfuss View Post
I want to know where you get that plastic cover. None came with my trailer.
I have a plastic cover that slides up and down covering the wires on the rear awning arm. No cover on the front one where the hole was. It wouldn’t have made any difference as it is open on top and bottom. It really doesn’t do much — maybe protect the wires from getting pinched by the arm closing? I don’t expect consistent high-quality engineering on these rigs.
Old 08-31-2021, 06:43 PM   #13

Yeah, but the cool factor......

"We'll be friends until we're old and senile,....then we'll be new friends."
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 07:55 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDuck View Post
I have a plastic cover that slides up and down covering the wires on the rear awning arm. No cover on the front one where the hole was. It wouldn’t have made any difference as it is open on top and bottom. It really doesn’t do much — maybe protect the wires from getting pinched by the arm closing? I don’t expect consistent high-quality engineering on these rigs.
That plastic cover was the reason I did not see the hole initially. Once I started taking stuff out I discovered the gaping hole. Once I filled the hole in I placed the cover back over it and filled in all around the cover to make sure the area was sealed off. If I ever need to access that area in the future I will deal with it then.
Old 09-08-2021, 01:36 PM   #15

Leak Found

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSaxy View Post
Good find. That will save you a lot of grief.
hikerjohn7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 03:50 PM   #16

Had the exact same issue with my Whitehawk. Except the awning wires come into my front closet.
We always found my clothes damp and one of the shelves was swollen.
After getting my wife to take the garden hose to the front side of the trailer...sure enough water was coming in where the wires go through.
I filled the dime size hole with caulk and fixed the problem.
I just assumed jayco forgot to seal this up.
Stever71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 07:51 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stever71 View Post
Had the exact same issue with my Whitehawk. Except the awning wires come into my front closet.
We always found my clothes damp and one of the shelves was swollen.
After getting my wife to take the garden hose to the front side of the trailer...sure enough water was coming in where the wires go through.
I filled the dime size hole with caulk and fixed the problem.
I just assumed jayco forgot to seal this up.
It sounds like they “forgot” on every single trailer. Good thing they didn’t forget to wire up the brakes!
Old 09-09-2021, 02:27 PM   #18

Just as an FYI the front upper marker light needs a new butyl seal after a few years--ask me I know