Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-18-2020, 06:25 PM   #1

Water leak at city water inlet

We got a used 1999 Eagle 376 about three years ago. It stays at a seasonal site at a campground about four hours away. We were there this past weekend and I discovered I could not get a watertight seal at the city water connection. I think I need to replace it. Unfortunately, I did not take pictures or measurements of the current unit before we returned home last night. I was hoping to pick up a new fitting this week, bring it up and install it over the holiday weekend. The nearest RV parts dealer says he needs pictures before he can guarantee a 1-for-1 swap. I get that, but it doesn't help much. Posit this: If I get a new fitting that has holes that line up with the holes in the Eagle's wall at the inlet and then use butyl tape as a gasket, is a 1-for-1 swap even an issue?

Can I access the supply hose from inside the camper?
If I can't, how much play does the supply hose have?
Could I put an extension hose in between the supply hose and the city water connection when I put the new inlet in, or should I maybe just use a nipple?

Thanks in advance!
axeslinger1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 08:10 PM   #2

Question, did you try a new garden hose rubber gasket? They get old, dry and stiff with age.

I do not know your model. On mine which is really no help to you probably. The city water connection is along side the water heater. I can easily access it, the same way I access the backside of the water heater to flip the bypass valves. In my case, I could cut the pex tubing and spice in a new piece if I needed to. But as I recall the backside of mine has a 1/2" npt pipe fitting to the check valve/hose connection fitting. You might have the same setup, and just need the outside component. Unfortunately your rig is 13 years older than mine, so the technology maybe different

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 08:22 PM   #3

Put in a new screenwasher.

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323 BH
Cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 08:22 PM   #4

Ummm... I don't believe I did. I will certainly try that.
Old 05-18-2020, 08:25 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavie View Post
Put in a new screenwasher.
There's another one worth trying! Thanks!
Old 05-24-2020, 10:36 AM   #6

There's a leak where the male NPT fitting is secured to the water inlet. To test, I connected a small extension to the female NPT fitting inside the RV, then connected the city water inlet to that so it dangles outside. I have a very slight drip onto the ground due the fact that my connection could/should have been tighter. Whatever, it drips onto the ground and I have water and my wife and daughter are happy. I know I need a permanent solution.

I'm researching the possibility of cutting into the Pex water line after it comes into the RV, right before it splits off to feed the various water users. My thought is to put a female "nut" fitting there and a male threaded fitting on the end of the straight section of Pex. If I have to do this again (and I will, but probably not on this RV), I can undo that fitting inside the compartment, where I have easy access and the length of straight tubing will come out with the city water inlet still attached to the end of it. That's my thought, anyway.
Old 08-03-2020, 05:49 AM   #7

The rest of the story

The whole thing turned out to be real simple. The connector the line from the inlet ran to was laying on the floor. When I picked it up and pushed it toward the outside as far as it would go, I had at least three inches of pipe exposed. More than enough to grab it and make the proper connection.
Old 08-03-2020, 06:22 AM   #8

Good deal! Thanks for stopping back and letting us know it's resolved. May actually help someone else in the future.

Andy, Sherrie, Dixie, and Daisy
2020 Jayco 336FBOK Modern Farmhouse
2020 Chevy Silverado 2500 SRW Duramax 10 speed GM/ Allison
CURT Q20 on R20 Slider
AndyO is offline   Reply With Quote