Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-03-2019, 05:02 PM   #1

Water Pressure Issues

Hi there, we recently bought a pre-owned 2005 Jayco Jay Feather 25 Z travel trailer. It's been having issues getting enough water pressure once turned on. It runs fine for about 3 seconds then looses pressure. I replaced the pump already because that seemed to be the easiest first step. It kind of worked well for a few days and then, same problem. A friend said maybe we were pulling too much power as the microwave seemed to go at the same time. We unplugged all the appliances and then that seemed to fix it. However, now it is still doing the same thing. It's very frustrating. I am not positive that somehow it is still not a power issue, but I am wondering if it is something with the hose lines. There is a hose that hangs loose near where the water enters the pump, so today I tried using that as a bypass for most of the other plumbing lines and it maintained pressure fine from just a tub of water, no shower issues no anything.

I'm wondering if the next step is just replacing all of the old water lines that go to the holding tank and maybe going to a larger size hose or removing some of the elbows? It's something I am willing to do, however I can't even find any type of schematics that show where anything is. There is some corrugated plastic that runs underneath the trailer and I am assuming if I take the time to remove all of the rusted old bolts that perhaps that will get me in to where everything goes under the floors and behind the walls. Before I go and do all that... does anyone maybe have either schematics or advice on whether or not that sounds like a good idea? It also seems like mice may be or have been a problem from what I can see with a flashlight behind some paneling. Any advice will help, I am trying to calm my frustrations.
Mercurial5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 05:21 PM   #2

I am not sure of this model but if you have a screw on filter which should be attached at the end of the pump it could be getting stopped up. Just unscrew, it is only hand tight, and clean it out. I had this problem with my other rv.
Old 01-03-2019, 05:35 PM   #3

filter

Yeah, we don't have a filter or screen. I know what you are talking about though, I thought about purchasing one but the lady at the RV store said she had never used one and it didn't come with one on the old pump when we first got it. Thanks for the suggestion though!
Old 01-04-2019, 09:36 AM   #4

Have you sanitized the holding tank and plumbing with bleach? You may have to do this several times as they could have quite a bit of algae in them. This is common especially on older rvs and can cause the symptoms you describe.
BrentB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 09:38 AM   #5

And when I say holding tank I mean freshwater tank.
Old 01-04-2019, 10:20 AM   #6

Yeah it sounds like the pick-up in the fresh water holding tank might be getting plugged up with sediment/debris. It will pump strong for a few seconds until the debris collects and starts to inhibit flow.
Old 01-04-2019, 10:27 AM   #7

Welcome to the forum.

Do you have a 'city water' connection for connecting to a pressurized campground water supply (not the fresh water tank fill connection)? Have you tried using that?

Do you have a voltmeter to check your BATTERY voltage? There could be a battery or converter/charger issue causing low voltage to your pump.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 11:10 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentB View Post
And when I say holding tank I mean freshwater tank.
Not yet, no. That could be it. The hose line going to the tank looked a bit dirty when I took it apart yesterday. I'll check that out, thanks!
Old 01-04-2019, 11:11 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
Welcome to the forum.

Do you have a 'city water' connection for connecting to a pressurized campground water supply (not the fresh water tank fill connection)? Have you tried using that?

Do you have a voltmeter to check your BATTERY voltage? There could be a battery or converter/charger issue causing low voltage to your pump.
we do have a city water connection, but are hooked up to power and have just been using the freshwater tank.
Old 01-04-2019, 11:16 AM   #10

Quote:
Welcome to the forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercurial5 View Post
we do have a city water connection, but are hooked up to power and have just been using the freshwater tank.
Just wondering: If the problem continues when not using the pump, it would eliminate the pump and fresh water tank as the problem.

EDIT: IIRC, someone a while back had an issue with the fresh water tank SUCTION hose collapsing, shutting off the flow.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 06:17 PM   #11

Ah, that makes sense. Our friend suggested that as well. I sanitized the tank (took all day to drain it without any pressure haha), and bought a small battery to run it off of to check the power. I'll try the city line and I guess go back to figuring out how to replace the hoses beneath the floor.
Old 01-05-2019, 07:19 PM   #12

Quote:
Just wondering: If the problem continues when not using the pump, it would eliminate the pump and fresh water tank as the problem.

EDIT: IIRC, someone a while back had an issue with the fresh water tank SUCTION hose collapsing, shutting off the flow.
Aha! Finally. Man, I wish i had had the schematics before. Looks like it's an issue with suction and hose crimping that was behind the fuse panel. I suppose now the next step is to figure out how to run a new pex line theough the flooring without too much disassmbly. wish it wasn't going to be raining and snowing the next few days! Haha, thanks for all the help everyone!
Attached Thumbnails
20190105_171724.jpg  
Old 01-05-2019, 07:28 PM   #13

Thanks for the update!
Old 01-05-2019, 07:32 PM   #14

Wait, is that the hose going to the pump, or is it the overflow hose?
It looks like it is at the top of the tank, and the line going to the pump is usually attached at the bottom.
Old 01-05-2019, 07:35 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentB View Post
Wait, is that the hose going to the pump, or is it the overflow hose?
It looks like it is at the top of the tank, and the line going to the pump is usually attached at the bottom.
That is the hose coming out of the freshwater tank under the refrigerator. it feeds down through the floor and back up under the sink.
Old 01-05-2019, 07:47 PM   #16

It just looks like that might be a vent hose or overflow hose since it is right next to the fill hose. But if you're sure it goes to the pump then that could be causing the issue.
Old 01-12-2019, 09:02 PM   #17

I've asked Jayco support on the locations in the roof, walls or floor of things like electrical lines or floor support beams and gotten either no information or bad information for both my 2011Greyhawk and a friend's 5th wheel trailer. It is indeed to ask other owners for assistance.
BobK
BobK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 09:20 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobK View Post
I've asked Jayco support on the locations in the roof, walls or floor of things like electrical lines or floor support beams and gotten either no information or bad information for both my 2011Greyhawk and a friend's 5th wheel trailer. It is indeed to ask other owners for assistance.
BobK
Yeah, I can imagine. Thought I had found the problem but it was just the breather hose. I'm a total noob to trailers. Anyways, we did take off the underbelly panel and replaced the hose line with pex. Seems we have more pressure now, but the pump never completely shuts off. It runs hard, gets quiet and stays quiet, but not off. Seems we are having an air intake leak somewhere. Tried bleeding the lines but it's still sputtering a bit. I'm changing hose clamps now and hoping that does something.
Old 01-12-2019, 10:01 PM   #19

I hope it isn't too soon to celebrate... cleaned up and recut some of the pex that was too long and changed the clamps to the crimping pex clamps and its finally better. Full pressure and the pump shuts off! Only took a few weeks haha. Time for a good ole shower!

Tags
water flow hose pump tank