Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-14-2022, 12:34 PM   #1

Water Problems

Hello all. Need some help/suggestions. I was trying to sanitize my fresh water tank and lines at the recommendation of my RV tech. He explained how to do it. I added blech to the fresh water tank and then proceeded to fill the tank with my hose(country fill). I did this twice. While filling the tank I removed the water pressure fitting bc I figured it was not needed to fill the tank. I did this twice with no problems or issues. After filling the tank the second time to rinse tank and lines i emptied the tank completely. Then I tried to hook up the hose(with the pressure fitting) to the RV and run the water directly from my hose(City fixtures) I also made sure to switch the plumbing dials to City water. When I turned hose on and tried faucets and toilet in rig I got nothing. I went out to dbl check that the water was on and it was. Once I disconnected the hose and checked the fitting I realized that when I push the pin in the center of the intake outlet pressurized water shot out. I then tried to hook it back up to see if it would work but it would not. I tried to fill the tank again but now I can not even get water into my fresh water tank. Any suggestions? Is it possible that there is some kind of safety that prevents water from coming into the rig if it is under too much pressure? I am not sure what I did or how to undo it:0 Thanks for any advice/suggestions...
NjNewbie30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 05:35 PM   #2

I tried again this afternoon thinking that maybe something was frozen. It was near 60 in NJ today. Same result no water would go into the Rv on any plumbing settings? Ughhhh!!! Any ideas or suggestions. I have a 2015 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS. This has never happened in the 3+ years I have owned the rig;(...
Old 03-14-2022, 05:48 PM   #3
CAG

I did not understand your first description. Are you saying that water came rushing out of the input at some point?

CAG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 08:13 PM   #4
Site Team

Not being able to do a hands on test, it sounds like one of you're valves in the wet bay isn't positioning correctly internally, or malfunctioned completely.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 08:20 PM   #5

How about some pics of what you going on there? Connections, and valve selections...
I'm trying to visualize it.
I'm wondering if the pressure fitting went haywire.
Old 03-14-2022, 08:29 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Huron View Post
How about some pics of what you going on there? Connections, and valve selections...
I'm trying to visualize it.
I'm wondering if the pressure fitting went haywire.

Is the fitting where the hose connects pressure sensitive? Does it have some kind of safety to prevent the system from being over pressurized? That is one of my questions. Thanks for you response
Old 03-14-2022, 08:32 PM   #7

Thanks for the suggestion about the plumbing as well. That is what it seems like to me. Something is not lined up right and no water will go into the sys at all. To clarify I am talking about the connection where the hose gets connected to the rig. It will not allow any water to go in on any settings??? This is what I love about this forum. Thanks everyone for your suggestions/tips...
Old 03-14-2022, 09:05 PM   #8

If your device looks like this than it's a regulator
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220314-224800_Samsung Internet.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	79700

If it looks like this than it's a vacuum breaker
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220314-224951_Samsung Internet.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	79701

Either way you cant connect them backwards.
From what you are describing you are using a vacuum breaker when you say you pushed in on the center and water shot out. A breaker should go on the spigot end first, then connect the hose then connect the other hose end to your water connection on your trailer. I'd bet your water connection on your trailer has a breaker internally installed in it. Most newer ones do.
If you're using a regulator, I'd take it off, reconnect your hoses, turn on a faucet in your trailer somewhere and open your water spigot just a little bit. This way you wont build up a bunch of pressure that may damage you plumbing. I dont know how much water pressure you got at your house, mine is like 55 or 56psi. Which is pretty good for my area. Some run down into the 40's and I've heard of some residential over 80psi. We were at a campground that was running 85psi. That's a bit much in my opinion. My water hose looked like a python snake that just ate a family of goats it was expanded so much. Lol!
If you know your water pressure under say 60psi, I wouldnt even run a regulator.
Give that a try and see what happens
Lake Huron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 03:57 AM   #9

The center post you pushed in to allow water to "shoot out" is the check valve in the city water connection. I agree Here that it sounds like a valve has gone bad.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 04:06 AM   #10

Quote:
If your device looks like this than it's a regulator
Attachment 79700

If it looks like this than it's a vacuum breaker
Attachment 79701

Either way you cant connect them backwards.
From what you are describing you are using a vacuum breaker when you say you pushed in on the center and water shot out. A breaker should go on the spigot end first, then connect the hose then connect the other hose end to your water connection on your trailer. I'd bet your water connection on your trailer has a breaker internally installed in it. Most newer ones do.
If you're using a regulator, I'd take it off, reconnect your hoses, turn on a faucet in your trailer somewhere and open your water spigot just a little bit. This way you wont build up a bunch of pressure that may damage you plumbing. I dont know how much water pressure you got at your house, mine is like 55 or 56psi. Which is pretty good for my area. Some run down into the 40's and I've heard of some residential over 80psi. We were at a campground that was running 85psi. That's a bit much in my opinion. My water hose looked like a python snake that just ate a family of goats it was expanded so much. Lol!
If you know your water pressure under say 60psi, I wouldnt even run a regulator.
Give that a try and see what happens
I will try today. I am definitely using a breaker not a regulator. Thanks for the pics...
Old 03-15-2022, 08:15 AM   #11

If it is a bad city water intake valve is there any way to re-set it or once it does this it must be replaced?
Old 03-16-2022, 04:53 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NjNewbie30 View Post
If it is a bad city water intake valve is there any way to re-set it or once it does this it must be replaced?
I've never taken one apart to know if they can be "fixed". It would prolly be easier to just replace it.
Did you get it figured out?
Lake Huron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 08:15 AM   #13

Quote:
I've never taken one apart to know if they can be "fixed". It would prolly be easier to just replace it.
Did you get it figured out?
At this point I am having my tech replace the city water outlet. I just spent a bunch of $ with them so I told them that they need to make it right. Bringing it to them tomorrow for them to re-check plumbing settings and replace the city water fixture.
Old 03-16-2022, 08:20 AM   #14

It sounds like the internal valve is bad as others have said.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote