Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-06-2018, 09:42 PM   #1

Water pump issues - spitting air, not much pressure

Hey there guys!

Trailer: 2016 Jayco Eagle HT 26.5NHS

While camping over the weekend I began having issues with the water pump. Pump on occasion would continually run even with all faucets in closed positions. It did this several times.

Also, water pressure was bad and it was spitting air/water, not a continuous stream. Valves were in the right position, low point drain closed.

When hooked up to city water everything worked fine. I have absolutely no idea whats going on, can't see water leaking anywhere so not sure where air is getting into the system, or if maybe my pump is bad.

Any trouble shooting ideas would be greatly appreciated!
mtedelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 09:56 PM   #2

Is the fresh water tank low/empty? Is the line leading to the pump from the FW tank solid (clamped tightly, no pinholes to allow air to be introduced into the line while drawing water in prior to reaching the pump)? Is the sputtering results the same at each spigot?

Have you tried using the one to two foot line attached to the pump that's used for drawing antifreeze in yet? Perhaps, dipping that into a couple gallon bucket of water and drawing from that instead of the FW tank to see if the same results occur. If so, then it should be a fault in the line or clamps to the line between the pump and FW tank (any leaks under the TT when the pump is operating?). If not, then possibly the pump is failing and sucking in air within the unit itself (but puzzling if no leak present there). I'm still thinking...

Jerry

Jerry B.
"Stateboy" (Formerly "36fire412")
SW Lower Michigan
2016 X254
2012 Toyota Tundra Crewmax TRD 4x4
stateboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 10:10 PM   #3

PS - if you try using the antifreeze line to test the pump, make sure to turn that valve open and close the FW tank valve leading to the pump. I mention that because I've had my senior moments with valve settings while troubleshooting myself.

Jerry B.
SW Lower Michigan
2016 X254
Old 05-06-2018, 10:11 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 36fire412 View Post
Is the fresh water tank low/empty? Is the line leading to the pump from the FW tank solid (clamped tightly, no pinholes to allow air to be introduced into the line while drawing water in prior to reaching the pump)? Is the sputtering results the same at each spigot?

Have you tried using the one to two foot line attached to the pump that's used for drawing antifreeze in yet? Perhaps, dipping that into a couple gallon bucket of water and drawing from that instead of the FW tank to see if the same results occur. If so, then it should be a fault in the line or clamps to the line between the pump and FW tank (any leaks under the TT when the pump is operating?). If not, then possibly the pump is failing and sucking in air within the unit itself (but puzzling if no leak present there). I'm still thinking...

Jerry

Tank has water in it, can't see any apparent pinholes in the lines. Im going to try the bucket with water next. No water leaking out from under the trailer, but its enclosed. I'm really hoping its nothing underneath the trailer, sounds expensive. Hoping it's just a pump maybe
Old 05-07-2018, 05:58 AM   #5

Sounds like it could be the check valve on the pump. If some junk was sucked up from the tank and stuck in the valve it wont allow the system to hold pressure and cause the pump to run. Remove the valve from the pump wash it off good and try again
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 09:53 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer330 View Post
Sounds like it could be the check valve on the pump. If some junk was sucked up from the tank and stuck in the valve it wont allow the system to hold pressure and cause the pump to run. Remove the valve from the pump wash it off good and try again
Is the check valve on the pump? requiring disassembly? I'm capable of doing that, but under the assumption that the check valve is an in-line piece pre pump. There is a filter pre-pump which I made sure was clear....
Old 05-07-2018, 10:04 AM   #7

Here is a diagram for a Shurflo pump, the check valve is number three, have to remove screws on number two.
Attached Thumbnails
2088-series.gif  
Old 05-07-2018, 10:08 AM   #8

If that doesn't fix it try one of these, https://www.amazon.com/SHURflo-340-0...70_&dpSrc=srch
Old 05-07-2018, 10:14 AM   #9

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Put a funnel on the anti-freeze line hose open that valve and close the FW-tank valve and use an assistant to switch the pump a couple of times till it start building pressure. After building pressure switch the valves again.
This happens a lot after start up in the spring (foam in the pump from the anti-freeze)
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 11:18 AM   #10

Hey Sundancer 330 thanks for the diagram of water pump.15 years never new what the insides looked like!
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 08:31 PM   #11

Sounds like air is getting sucked into the system by the pump. Not familiar with your unit but I’d double check all valve settings, figure out where the air is coming from. Things I can think of are; winterizing settings, is WH filled, holes in plumbing (don’t think this is likely), leaking line coming from FW tank (this may be a pain to verify). All I can think of now, post what you eliminate and what you find.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 09:04 PM   #12

I think I found the leak! Backside of the water connection panel. Now I need to figure out how to get these damn hose clamps off to tighten up the leaky elbow. The pump is good, tried the recommended method of sucking water out of a bucket and the pump worked fine. Hopefully this is the only one leak. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2817.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	39539Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2816.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	39540
Old 05-10-2018, 08:46 AM   #13

That 90 degree elbow... If I need to replace that is that something that could potentially be found at Home Depot? Or would I most likely need RV specific parts?
Old 05-10-2018, 09:25 AM   #14

You should be able to get it at Home Depot, take the leaky one with you so they can match the right one
Old 05-10-2018, 10:14 AM   #15

Perhaps just tightening the existing one a bit more will stop it. I've done that with leaky water spigots on the exterior of my house to buy time before I eventually have to take it apart and replace the washers.

Jerry B.
SW Lower Michigan
2016 X254
Old 05-10-2018, 10:17 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 36fire412 View Post
Perhaps just tightening the existing one a bit more will stop it. I've done that with leaky water spigots on the exterior of my house to buy time before I eventually have to take it apart and replace the washers.
I tried to no avail. Thinking it may be cracked but did not have time to take it apart last night. Hoping to dig into it tomorrow...
Old 05-11-2018, 11:03 AM   #17

Those elbows a prone to cracking in the winter. I had the same issue last year. Make sure during winterization to operate all valves to let antifreeze to the back side of it. I managed to get mine replaced under warranty so I cant tell you if you can find it at home depot for sure, but it is just a standard 1/2" double make ellbow.
Old 05-11-2018, 11:09 AM   #18

Well **** replaced that elbow and still no dice!!!! Still spitting air and not much pressure
Old 05-11-2018, 11:29 AM   #19

This may not pertain to you but I had a similar problem with lime build up. My pump made the same sounds you describe plus my fresh water tanks wouldn't drain. I took a low pressure hose and blowed out the vents and the fresh water opening drain valve. I cleaned out the strainer bowl and blowed pressure through the lines back into the fresh water tank. After this it was almost fixed, pump was working but not shutting off timely. I repeated the process and this time everything is good. I hope you fix your problem, it's aggravating!!!
Old 05-11-2018, 12:05 PM   #20

So this is what I’ve noticed so far....

1. When I turn the valves to country fill to fill the tank, water gets pumped out of my water jug just fine. Empty’s a blue water can in no time at all.

2. When I turn the valves to a winterize type setting and suck water out of my water jug, I run into the same issue.

3. Took the diaphragm on the pump apart and no dirt or anything else appears to be clogging it or getting in the way.

I’m thinking maybe my pump is bad? But why when I country fill my tank from the water jug it works just fine? I’m baffled.