Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-21-2017, 11:26 AM   #1

Water Pump Woes or Leak?

So here is the issue every 10 minutes the past couple days at our camp site I would hear the water pump kick on for a split second. From searching on here I found that it could be a leak or an issue with the pump. I check all the lines I can see and no leaks. I have a sealed underbelly so who knows what's going on there.

Now the past two days at the site I did not level the trailer properly and the unit was slanted to the rear, not sure if that could contribute to the issue?

Any input on how to trouble shoot the pump or other suggestions would be appreciated. It is under warranty but I really want to avoid taking it into service due to shotty workmanship. Thanks!
borninblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 11:33 AM   #2

Could be a leaking check valve in the pump, only takes a small piece of dirt.
Old 07-21-2017, 12:45 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Could be a leaking check valve in the pump, only takes a small piece of dirt.
Anyway to repair myself? If not, would you suggest warranty for this or just bite the bullet and order a new pump? When I brought it home in the driveway looking for leaks I noticed one of my water overflow tubes underneath had a steady drip. I am parked at a very steep incline though at my house and my tanks are 2/3 full....I am just perplexed...
Old 07-21-2017, 12:50 PM   #4

Easy to check, but you need to pull the pump.
Old 07-21-2017, 01:00 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Easy to check, but you need to pull the pump.
No problem, I will pull it now. Any helpful tips on how to check to see if it is operating normally when pulled? What do you think about the overflow drip? Thank you again.
Old 07-21-2017, 02:00 PM   #6

To test this I would switch the valves over to the winterizing line and get a bucket of water to pump from. Once the pump pressurizes the lines mark where the water line is in the winterizing line and see if that changes. Will help to extend your line up vertically and mark the water level. Also turn off your pump so it doesn't re pressurize.

If the water level rises it is definitely your check valve. If no change there is a leak somewhere else probably.

Not sure if that will work but its easier than disassembling everything.

Cheers
Old 07-21-2017, 02:54 PM   #7

If you don't want to remove the pump you can add one of these check valves to the supply line, simple to install, cut the line press in the fitting and clamp it. The water leak sounds like a problem due to the incline of your driveway, they are off level enough that they are overflowing, not a problem they will stop once the water goes down.
Attached Images

Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 08:28 AM   #8

I just developed the same problem, borninblue. Let me know if you figure anything out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bearcat77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 12:31 PM   #9

I think I found our issue. Hot water line to outdoor sink had started to unscrew itself. Was leaking into underbelly of trailer. Guess that's the downside of the thermal package. Can't see leaks until you get a puddle.

Old 07-22-2017, 01:06 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcat77 View Post
I think I found our issue. Hot water line to outdoor sink had started to unscrew itself. Was leaking into underbelly of trailer. Guess that's the downside of the thermal package. Can't see leaks until you get a puddle.

Glad to hear u got it figured out. I finally figured out how the t handle overflow valves work. I cycled them a couple times and now the pump is not running (knock on wood). I did find that one of my fresh water low point drains is leaking slightly. So I might drain water and see if something is stuck in line or replace? Any suggestions I can replace with from big box store?
Old 07-24-2017, 04:25 PM   #11

I just added valves to my freshwater overflow lines. They were Sharkbite brand valves for PEX lines. Found them at Home Depot. Went right on, no problems. I would think something like that would work, if you can't figure out the reason for the leak.

Old 07-24-2017, 05:51 PM   #12

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
And soon we'll hear people blowing up their Fresh Water Tank, because they forgot to open the Valves. Guaranteed!
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 06:06 PM   #13

Water Pump Woes or Leak?

The valves get opened as part of the setting up routine, and stay that way until the next time I'm about to pull out with full tanks. And my freshwater fill opening is nowhere near a tight seal around a garden hose. So if I would fill my tanks with those valves closed, and have my flow meter decide to fail me at that moment, I think the worst that would happen would be that I would get a nice spray in the face out of the freshwater fill. However, if I'm wrong, I will take pictures of the carnage and post them here for viewing pleasure.

Old 07-26-2017, 05:46 PM   #14

Some of us have a freshwater fill that is from city water. If vents/overflow are blocked the water tank is pressurized to 60psi. Not good.

FWIW, I sometimes have a water pump issue as well. It shows up in two ways. First, when connected to city water the water will go past the backflow valve and fill the tanks. Second, when using the water pump it will recycle every 10-20 min.

This all happens for a couple of days and then it will stop and act normal. I suspect there is some grit in there somewhere.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 06:26 PM   #15

I once had the pump cycling issue and found that the toilet was ever so slightly seeping into the bowl. During the day it would get flushed enough to not be noticeable, but overnight it would show a significantly higher water level. A way to check this is to shut off pump, flush and dry bowl, and put a piece of TP in it. Turn pump on and avoid using it for hours and see if the TP gets wet.

2020 Outdoors RV Glacier Peak Titanium
2013 Eagle 29.5RKS (traded in)
2013 Ford 6.7L diesel F350
Cosmik Debris is offline   Reply With Quote