Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-26-2018, 08:30 AM   #1

Waterline sanitation

Each season I have been doing the usual sanitation treatment of the water lines and fresh water tank. Is it really necessary to do that if 75% of the time I am connected to chlorinated city water systems? When I've been boondocking, I generally fill my holding tank with that same sanitized water. Any opinions?
Old 04-26-2018, 08:55 AM   #2

My first thought is that the chlorinated drinking water is much less concentrated than the sanitized version. Also, the chlorinated water at our house is constantly moving day and night with its use versus an on-again-off-again use even if frequent that are campers are subjected to. A camper is a standing water solution versus a running water solution at home. I would still sanitize but perhaps you could get by with a less frequent method.

I have a new camper that has yet to come out of storage but will do so in about 3 weeks. I will sanitize it for maiden voyage. Coupled with that is the fact that it's a two-year-old unit that was sitting on the lot when I purchased it new. I'll be curious to see what blows out of the tanks from sitting for 2 years in central Michigan.

Jerry B.
"Stateboy" (Formerly "36fire412")
SW Lower Michigan
2016 X254
2012 Toyota Tundra Crewmax TRD 4x4
stateboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 09:01 AM   #3

Although I am just about always connected to chlorinated sources, I still disinfect the lines periodically.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 10:41 AM   #4

Most manuals will give you guidance for sanitation. That being said error on the side of safety. I sanitize every spring. This includes a solution in a bucket for all hose fittings too.

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 11:02 AM   #5

My owner's manual says every 3 months. My feeling would be that it's not needed that often if it's in almost constant use but I'm no expert.
BrentB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 11:30 AM   #6

Even in a drained fresh water tank - and water lines - there are usually puddles of water. That water can help algae grow, especially if a water tank is not in an enclosed underbelly and therefore exposed to light. I think that disinfection at least annually is a must.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote