Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-08-2018, 01:47 PM   #1

weird issue...will try and make it brief

camping 2 weekends ago...noticed a leak in bathroom sink cabinet/bathroom/outside the cabinet...basically all the same area...
realized the city water hookup on the outside was also leaking...if I tightened it any more, I was afraid to break plastic

leak in camper stopped but continued to leak from city water and started dripping from underside...in line with city water connection

got home...removed the city water connector from camper and hose, filter was filthy...cant believe any water at all even got through...cleaned it
put plumbers putty on it and reconnected it

no leak at all from city connection, inside trailer, or underside...left hose on all night and no leak

maybe this is from dirty hoses...that filter was coated in crap...
Old 06-08-2018, 02:43 PM   #2

I'm no plumbing expert, but I know when our Pool's filter gets dirty, the pressure increases, while flow decreases. Your dirty filter could cause pressure to increase, which could have caused the leak. The PEX piping can handle higher pressure, but the pipe fittings usually can't. Once you cleaned the filter, pressure would go back down.

-Michael
michael.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 04:25 PM   #3

Campground water sources no doubt carry some sediment with them. If you've ever changed out a home water heater, they get extremely heavy after their ten year life span. They're have several inches of sediment in them. I suspect most municipal water systems have some sediment in them.
Old 06-08-2018, 08:42 PM   #4

FWIW I use an inline external "on the hose" filter for city water connections. So far, knock on wood, haven't had a problem. Plus I always carry a spare just in case I get a plugged filter unexpectedly.
Ironbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 09:29 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironbeard View Post
FWIW I use an inline external "on the hose" filter for city water connections. So far, knock on wood, haven't had a problem. Plus I always carry a spare just in case I get a plugged filter unexpectedly.
X2. BTW, how long should you continue using the same filter? It’s one of the blue Camco inline jobs. Have had mine in use for about 20 days so far.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 10:15 PM   #6

The pressure that comes from the main is the pressure you you will get in your system whether your filter is dirty or not. The only thing you change with a dirty filter is the flow rate you get. A pressure reducing valve (PRV) changes the pressure which it is always recommended you use one on the incoming supply so as not to put unnecessary pressure on the whole system.
What might have happened in your case is that dirt could have got trapped between the surface that the rubber washer is against and allowing the leak to happen. It may even have scored the rubber. Plumbers putty isnt the proper thing to fix this though. Cleaning the connections will have made the biggest difference. Best thing to use is teflon tape if required as excess putty will get into the piping and could end up blocking an outlet somewhere. Putty is for wastes that are not under pressure.