Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-06-2022, 05:10 PM   #1

What broke/failed on your Jayco today

Not a Jayco bashing thread. Just the nature of the beast when RV’ing. Could’ve put any name up there, but being a Jayco forum it seems appropriate. Just about every trip out I have something come up. Usually minor and so far always something I can continue on with. Just curious to hear from others as they camp and travel.

This weekend was an easy one. I had a blind string break. I’ll fix it before next trip. This will be blind number 3. Just too tight from the factory and I’m almost 3 years in. Thankfully some plumbing repairs from last trip seem to have held.
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 05:27 PM   #2

Just picked up my new 33rbts and the marker / tail lights failed on the trip home. Was an easy fix but shows the lack of quality control. Uncapped wires in the junction box shorted, blowing a fuse. Went through the camper today as it was the first full day in my driveway. Lots of loose plumbing fittings but nothing else so I consider myself lucky for now...

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 07:39 PM   #3

Nothing has broke the past 6 months because its been resting inside over winter.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 08:07 PM   #4

Dometic 310 toilet water valve is leaking water into the bowl. 4 months left on it's 2 year warranty. Thinking on always carrying a spare if they only last 18 months!
Seems it's not IF something will go wrong, it's WHEN!
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 08:32 PM   #5

These are my most recent issues (all during the past 2 years or so). I fixed all but the furnace, for which I called a mobile tech. Nothing catastrophic, but small pains in the a$$:
— Bad furnace sail switch
— Leak from elbow connection at water pump outflow
— Installed a bracket to reinforce the Norcold fridge door hinge BEFORE it breaks
— Sealed gap between plywood bed platform and adjacent nightstand cabinet to shut out cold
— Replaced bad board in water heater — just after the warranty expired

Just part of owning a trailer!
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 08:44 PM   #6
Site Team

Does it count if I left food in our fridge since our last trip at Halloween and now it looks like a science experiment in there?

By the way, this is the second year in a row that I did that. You would think I would learn eventually.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 09:05 PM   #7

That counts. Self induced issues definitely count. I’ve had a few of those along with items I tried to fix and only made worse.
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 10:34 PM   #8

The older ones must be better. I have had my 2001 Quest since it was new. Almost nothing has broken. It gets taken on several 3000 plus miles trips a year. The newer ones sure are nicer but ours has been paid for since the day we got it. We can't afford to do that now. Prices have really gone up. But everything works as it should. Only things other than maintenance stuff has been a propane regulator and the pilot light setup for the water heater. I did both myself. I did upgrade All the lights inside and out with LEDs. But that's because they work better. The old ones still worked. It is parked inside so that may help keep it nice. It's like new inside and out for the most part.
Duramaxsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 07:04 AM   #9

We are approaching 2 years with our Pinnacle. We do a month long trip to the Colorado Rockies each year so this one has done 2 of those plus numerous shorter outings. So far it has been back to the dealer 3 times. The first one was a non functioning a/c which happened in the first couple of days we had it. The second was to align the kitchen slide which came from the factory with about a half inch gap at a bottom corner. The 3rd was for the propane regulator recall. I've not had anything break or quit working while on any of our trips. I'm hoping saying it doesn't jinx me.
F350guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 07:48 AM   #10

I'll find out in 4-6 weeks when it's time to de-winterize and wake it up from it's winter nap. It's 9 years old this year and holding up just fine.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 08:23 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcm157 View Post
Just picked up my new 33rbts and the marker / tail lights failed on the trip home. Was an easy fix but shows the lack of quality control. Uncapped wires in the junction box shorted, blowing a fuse. Went through the camper today as it was the first full day in my driveway. Lots of loose plumbing fittings but nothing else so I consider myself lucky for now...
When I added a battery isolation switch to our 2021 33rbts that we bought new last fall, the majority of the nuts on the electrical lugs on the junction strip that is on the frame behind the batteries were not what I would consider tight enough. Guess I should check the plumbing also!
2012 Jayco 32 BHDS: Long Gone
2007 R-Vision 25: Long Long Gone
1965 Frolic Cabover: My First RV
Bugzilla46310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 09:09 AM   #12

Well, I thought the OP wanted to know of what broke / happened today. Since others have added previous issues I'd like to add my current list with 4 months to go on my 2 year warranty since new. A few of these I fixed myself, my dealer's service department failed to fix my fridge issues and closet door issues. Sad. Tomorrow I'm scheduled for warranty appointment number 6 for broken screw heads and a leaking toilet valve. Anyone else have as many issues or did I just get a lemon?

#1 Entry door scratched, grab bar rubbing.
#2 Fridge condensation not going into drip tray
#3 Fridge door r/h refit, throws door open code
#4 Fridge temp 42 degrees, should be colder
#5 TV remote not "seeing" TV sensor, TV mount adjust higher
#6 Center trim kitchen gap misalignment
#7 R/H recliner arm stain
#8 Adhesive stain on flooring between island and table
#9 Shower head, water pressure low
#10 Tire pressure monitors, dealer didn't prep / install.
#11 Right Front hyd jack seal/ bumper missing
#12 Closet doors sliders binding, needs adjustment.
#13 Fresh water tank never reads full, only 1/3 or 2/3.
#14 Kitchen ceiling vent fan bezel overtightened and cracked.
#15 Pinholes in rear cap gelcoat by ladder.
#16 Front awning, poor install, 3"out of channel.
#17 R/H wheel moulding cracked 3x@ overtightened mounting screws
#18 Hydraulic level system pump leaking.
#19 Backup light, water inside.
I fixed-
#20 Stereo connected wrong, no sound.
#21 Lots of scratches, touchup crayon.
#22 Shiplap headboards popped off wall.
#23 Resealed exterior seam L/H under bedroom slide.
#24 Refrigerator venting, added fan and insulated @ wall.
#25 Refrigerator interior condensation, added tape drip edge so it flows onto drip tray instead of running to bottom of fridge.
#26 Bedroom sliding doors dragging, I adjusted.
Additional items-
#27 Bedroom slide topper mount screw broken off
#28 Dual LP regulator and pigtails recall
#29 BMPRO TPMS fail to connect, Node and Antenna replacement
#30 L/H front exterior side trim strip at front,screws stripped, sealant breaking.
#31 R/H rear tire wear on inside, bad axle.
#32 bedroom windows rubbing together, can't shut.
#33 replacement axle both dust caps dented
#34 5 screw heads breaking off, 1 stripped on outdoor kitchen slide trim
#35 hot water line leak loose at faucet for washer
#36 dometic toilet 310, valve leaking water into bowl.
#37 Ceiling fan blade broken at bracket.
Old 03-07-2022, 11:13 AM   #13

Just picked up our rig from the dealer last week, brand new. Ran into these already:

#1 - dash radio died on the drive home. Fuses are all good and I'm reading 12V into the radio connector, so I'm leaning towards the radio being a lemon.
#2 - driver-side rear wheel well panel is not screwed in on one side
#3 - screen door is bent/improperly installed and bends outward, putting pressure on the door and making it difficult to open/close
#4 - the dash A/C fan doesn't run on speed 2; only 1 and 3
#5 - the water heater door, despite feeling secure, swings open when we're driving

No local inspectors here in Ontario or I would've had one inspect my unit pre-delivery. Instead, I did the RVTI PDI Technician course online and inspected it myself. These ones all slipped through unfortunately. Just reached out to the dealer to see what they can do, but they're also a 5 hour drive away and I'm on the fence whether I try to do these myself or spend the time and money going out to the dealer.
Old 03-07-2022, 11:43 AM   #14

Twice I've tried to list them. However, been deleted while entering twice. My total failures in this rig exceeds 60. DW hates the rig and RVing. Looks like this is the last rig for us, because she got pissed and went home. Thanks Jayco.
Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 12:07 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomson View Post
Twice I've tried to list them. However, been deleted while entering twice. My total failures in this rig exceeds 60. DW hates the rig and RVing. Looks like this is the last rig for us, because she got pissed and went home. Thanks Jayco.

I thought I had the record!

(When signing in check the remember me box and you won't loose your entered message.)
Old 03-07-2022, 03:42 PM   #16

I have been RVing since 1988. I had problems and repairs and learned. However, I've had more problems with this POS than all of the others combined.
Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 06:32 PM   #17
CAG

Keep in mind that we all bash the RV builder but few of the problems mentioned are builder problems. Many are subcontractor issues. Fridge, oven, drawer and cabinet parts, dash radio, mirrors, and the list goes on.

Now installation is another issue. Bad wiring, connections, fittings, etc along with caulking, etc.. That then becomes a builder problem.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 06:47 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
Keep in mind that we all bash the RV builder but few of the problems mentioned are builder problems. Many are subcontractor issues. Fridge, oven, drawer and cabinet parts, dash radio, mirrors, and the list goes on.

Now installation is another issue. Bad wiring, connections, fittings, etc along with caulking, etc.. That then becomes a builder problem.

That's a good point and I'm glad you made it, because Jayco didn't build the fridge, or microwave, or dash radio. It's easy to blame Jayco for everything that goes wrong.

That being said, at least for me, 5 of the 6 issues I've had so far are definitely the builder.
Old 03-07-2022, 08:01 PM   #19

I caused my own issue. I had a five gallon water jug for inside my trailer while moving. It tipped over and slid against one wall. When it did that it also put a small hole in the 1/4” board on the inside wall. I’ve been thinking of a way to cover it up that would look ok. I don’t want the fix to look worse than the problem.
Weimaraner Duke
MichaelO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 08:12 PM   #20

My latest casualty was the TV antenna. Blew accross the parking lot in 80MPH winds last month. Whenever we are done with snow, I'll get up there an see if it can be reattached, or if it's a gonner.

madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote