Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-29-2015, 06:36 AM   #1

What Do YOU Do to Your Roof, Seals

I have searched the owners manual carefully (not much help, IMHO) and been reading some threads. Can't really seem to get it down. So, at something that is probably redundant, I thought I would ask:

What do you actually do to take care of your roof?

What do you actually do to take care of your slide and associated seals?

Thanks!!
Old 09-29-2015, 08:38 AM   #2

On a regular basis, usually once in the spring and once in the fall, I go up top, and use my car wash brush with dawn dishsoap and water and wash the roof. At the same time I inspect the caulking. If it is bubbled badly or has cracks, I clean that area a bit better, and apply a bit more caulk.

For the slide seals, I do not recall what I am using, but there is a foaming product that the dealer recommended. Spray it on, and wipe it down. I do this a few times a year.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 08:47 AM   #3

Wash it a couple of times a year. Always keep a sharp eye out for cracked or peeling caulk. Reseal questionable spots with Geocel RV Proflex or Eternabond.

Like Jagiven said, there's a foaming product out there specifically designed for treating seals. Your local RV dealership will have this product.
Old 09-29-2015, 05:59 PM   #4

I use liquid spic and span detergent as it's been recommended several times as a safe cleaning agent to use, and a long handled soft bristle brush, climb up on top and scrub away, rinsing alot and then I look for cracks, bubbles and such. I don't use any treatment on the rubberized roof but some do, some don't. Your manual should tell you what "kind" of roof you have, (what material it is) and how to clean it. I use silicone spray on my slide seals.
Equalizer WDH
TV 2018 F150 FX4 SC 3.5EB TP/MT
jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 06:43 PM   #5

Coat all roof seals with a product from ProGuard and don't worry about the dicor anymore. Clean the roof membrane itself several times a year depending on where we camp. Slide seals are cleaned and wiped down with Aerospace 303.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 04:46 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
Coat all roof seals with a product from ProGuard and don't worry about the dicor anymore. Clean the roof membrane itself several times a year depending on where we camp. Slide seals are cleaned and wiped down with Aerospace 303.
BigJohnD,
What product from ProGuard did you use on the roof? Some type of roll on EPDM? Was this on your 2015? Any concerns about warranty?
Thanks,
DanNJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 05:01 PM   #7

I just purchased a roll of 6"x 10' roll of Eternabond seam eliminator for the seam across the front where the roof meets the cap. Also purchased a 4"x50' roll of Eternabond micro sealant tape for around all the vents and skylights and anywhere factory sealant was put down. After this stuff is put down, I'll sleep better at night.
HD Trailering Package with Integrated Brake Controller

Camping Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 07:35 PM   #8

I'll have to dig up the product info again. I'm at work and it's at home. Yes, did it on my 2015, and our last full time rig. It's real thick, and I brushed it on. Almost like Steens syrup consistency. Finished product is slick, and cleans very easy (unlike dicor). I'm not worried about warranty. Even if what I did voided it, I'm not concerned as what's there now is better than what came from the factory. I know a dealer (one I actually trust) that does this to every rig that comes in brand new, as a preventative measure, and it works. They've been doing it for years, which is where I got the idea to try it. I've done this to a few RVs, and it holds up extremely well in the elements. The product I used is for a TPO roof (as in it will adhere to it), though you can get it for EPDM. Not everybody likes to experiment like I do, with their own rig, but it's always paid off for me. Kind of like me welding on my own frame. My 2015 frame warranty is void now, probably. Oh well. I'd be fixing it myself anyway if there's an issue as I don't trust Lippert or anybody else to fix it to my standards. I do all my own fab / welding stuff.

Eternabond is great stuff. I would use it for certain things. I prefer my method over that for my own reasons. I'd love to show anybody my roof if we're ever at the same place at the same time. Hard to explain why I did or do what I do without showing in person.

There's a few pictures of the roof seams coated in this thread:
http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...hbe-30052.html
Old 10-18-2015, 08:35 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camping Couple View Post
I just purchased a roll of 6"x 10' roll of Eternabond seam eliminator for the seam across the front where the roof meets the cap. Also purchased a 4"x50' roll of Eternabond micro sealant tape for around all the vents and skylights and anywhere factory sealant was put down. After this stuff is put down, I'll sleep better at night.
Camping Couple and I must think alike. I just received my order of 4"x50' Eternabond tape for all my roof seams and seals. Hope to get it on in next few weeks so no more worries about cracked caulking or roof leaks.
Happy RVing,
Jeff
Best friend wife, Di, and dog Cooper. RETIRED
havnfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 08:58 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
I'll have to dig up the product info again. I'm at work and it's at home. Yes, did it on my 2015, and our last full time rig. It's real thick, and I brushed it on. Almost like Steens syrup consistency. Finished product is slick, and cleans very easy (unlike dicor). I'm not worried about warranty. Even if what I did voided it, I'm not concerned as what's there now is better than what came from the factory. I know a dealer (one I actually trust) that does this to every rig that comes in brand new, as a preventative measure, and it works. They've been doing it for years, which is where I got the idea to try it. I've done this to a few RVs, and it holds up extremely well in the elements. The product I used is for a TPO roof (as in it will adhere to it), though you can get it for EPDM. Not everybody likes to experiment like I do, with their own rig, but it's always paid off for me. Kind of like me welding on my own frame. My 2015 frame warranty is void now, probably. Oh well. I'd be fixing it myself anyway if there's an issue as I don't trust Lippert or anybody else to fix it to my standards. I do all my own fab / welding stuff.

Eternabond is great stuff. I would use it for certain things. I prefer my method over that for my own reasons. I'd love to show anybody my roof if we're ever at the same place at the same time. Hard to explain why I did or do what I do without showing in person.

There's a few pictures of the roof seams coated in this thread:
http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...hbe-30052.html
Thanks BigJohnD,
I have a 2015 Jayco 27RLS. It has a Diflex II roof which if I understand correctly, is a TPO variant. Post back if you remember/find the product name.
Old 10-19-2015, 06:40 PM   #11

The product we used is ProGuard Super Coat for TPO. Here's a link to it. Lots of info on this page.
EPDM SUPER COAT - Pro Guard Coatings
I think there's the super coat, then the super coat for TPO. Either way, the quart cans I received did state for TPO. No primer is necessary for the Diflex II TPO roof. Just clean really well. A lot of what you'll read on that link is for industrial roofs. I scrubbed and cleaned the roof real good, then prepped all of the seams by wiping them down with mineral spirits then drying. Beings I wasn't doing an industrial roof, I didn't follow the exact procedures. A lot of conversation went on between ProGuard and myself over what I was doing, why, what manf. and type of roof etc etc. In the end this was the best product for what I wanted to do, coat seams. Went over the how to with them as well since this was not the exact product I had used before. I am very satisfied with the results, and believe me, it's on there, stuck, adhered, whatever you want to call it.

On the EPDM roofs, ProGuard Liquid Roof. Looks the same, goes on the same, it might even be the same, but I didn't want to chance it. I used the Liquid Roof on our last rig, and on the skylights only initially on the Jayco. Pretty much looks and acts the same way. Just a note, I did tell ProGuard I had already coated the skylights with the liquid roof, and they verified the Supercoat would adhere to it also, provided it was clean. So, there is a really thick coating on the skylights now. There are a ton of products out there to choose from. However, ProGuard has one of the best reputations, and as far as my opinion goes, they make the best products for roof membranes hands down. If anybody ever wants the contact info, I can dig that up when I get home. They're always more than happy to discuss or help you out with stuff like this.
Old 10-19-2015, 07:31 PM   #12

Thanks for taking the time to look it up. I really like the idea of preemptively dealing with the roof. I used their EPDM (liquid roof) product on my old trailer, it worked great.
Dan