Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-26-2020, 05:09 PM   #1

What was that noise???

It is said that "The loudest sound is the first rattle on your new car", to which I would like to add " The scariest sound is the one you can't identify, coming from your trailer"

See, I was all enthusiastic, and conscientious, and I spent a couple of days rolling on the ground to service the bearings on our TT, and I was pretty sure I did it all right, but there's always that lingering worry....

One thing led to another, and suddenly it's the day of the 650 mile trip to the mountains... all aboard, and off we go, and WHAT WAS THAT NOISE? A horrible, expensive, loud, "click...click...click", the kind of noise made by, say, a bearing failing, and metal shavings cascading all over the road. (yes, I have a vivid imagination... )

I slammed on the brakes, rushed around and inspected all four trailer wheels, no sign of disaster... drive slowly on, a few feet, and "click...click..."

Turned round and headed for home, driving very carefully, when, suddenly there's the sound of a stone hitting the inside of a wheel arch. A stone that had, apparently, been stuck in the tyre tread, and was hitting the ground at each turn. After that, blissful silence.

And the moral?
After you fix it, test drive it, before the vacation!
WeRJuliian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 09:46 PM   #2

Good advice — and glad it wasn’t anything serious. Last time I heard that sound was in my daily driver car — it was a big pan head screw in the tire. Ugh.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 10:47 PM   #3
Site Team

How long do you look at that screw head in your tire, just wondering to yourself.....how long that screw really is?.....if I pull it out, will it go flat right here?.....how far is it to the nearest repair shop?.....do you feel lucky today?.....well, do ya?.......(pssssssss).....darn!

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 11:01 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post
How long do you look at that screw head in your tire, just wondering to yourself.....how long that screw really is?.....if I pull it out, will it go flat right here?.....how far is it to the nearest repair shop?.....do you feel lucky today?.....well, do ya?.......(pssssssss).....darn!
LOL...I’m a lousy gambler. Spare went on immediately.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 04:39 AM   #5
Site Team

When we got our Eagle, we went nuts every time we set up looking for a rattling sound when we moved around inside. Eventually found a key storage hideout on one of the window Lambrequins in the bedroom. Jayco hinged the wooden cover and there were some key chains hanging inside that we did not know about.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 06:31 AM   #6

I heart sank as I was reading your post. I know just what that is like. Glad it worked out.

2022 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ Crew Cab 3.0L Duramax 4WD
2019 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 298BH
2013 Jayco Jay 1206 (Sold)
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 08:31 AM   #7

Sounds similar to my recent panic. Heading down I80 just west of Lincoln, NE when I notice my rear view camera isn't working. Look in the mirror and no lights on my trailer anywhere. My side view cameras are still working (not tied into lights) and there are no marker lights on the sides either. Somehow the 7 pin must have fallen out of the truck or a fuse popped because I know for sure the lights were working when we rolled out. Next exit we pull over on the shoulder, flashers on and I start to inspect the rig:

Plug is still firmly seated
"hey wait...the flashers are working"
"hey mrs...can you press the brakes"..."hrm, brake lights work"

Hop back in the truck, no idea why my running lights won't work. Test the trailer brakes, check no problem.

Finally...occurs to me that the truck's lights aren't on either. Somehow managed to bump the lights onto auto and they shut off right about the time the sun got up over the horizon. Click them over to ON and viola, problem solved.
morleyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 11:04 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeRJuliian View Post
It is said that "The loudest sound is the first rattle on your new car", to which I would like to add " The scariest sound is the one you can't identify, coming from your trailer"
Personally I would say the loudest sound was when the pipe to my cat failed towing up a grade in the Adirondacks. Blew the entire exhaust pipe off the header; like a straight pipe exhaust, but NO pipe.

BAM!RAAAAAAAAAAA..... Darn near had to change my underwear.

Most annoying noise was the same one two hours later as pulled into home. It was a holiday weekend Monday and nothing was open, so we just rolled with the noise all the way home once I determined the cause and that nothing was dragging or falling off.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote