Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-20-2020, 02:55 PM   #1

What's that wet spot?

I'm stumped. Here's everything I think might be relevant.

I woke up the past two mornings with a huge wet spot on the ground beneath my TT that expended about 30" past my street side connections to just past the front side of the TT. The wettest looking spot was directly under my bed. All in the front.

The campsite was different in that the connections were not on the street side, so my electric and water lines ran under my TT at the rear. To clarify the faucet was near my door and the hose went under to my filter than into the trailer. This area was dry as was the side of my TT under the connection.

The temperatures hit the low 30s. I saw a little frost on my Coleman stove, but I didn't see any water frozen.

I checked our gray and black tanks and they didn't seem to leak. I also checked all faucets and drains and didn't find any dripping or water in the TT floor. The spot was near the gray and black valves.

The spot dried up during the day but reappeared the next morning then the cycle repeated today. Again no water leaking from the hose on either side and both the gray and black tanks seemed to be filled as they always do on our weekend trips.
TaftCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 03:14 PM   #2

Where is your low point drains for your FW system? You may have a leaky valve. Also where is your water heater? The pressure relief may have released overnight, due to the temperature gradient across it. May be worth checking it.

You do not mention what TT/5ver/MH you have, which might help others with the same unit.

I would start by locating all your low point drains, there is at least three. FW tank drain, at least one hot and cold water piping drains. Most FW piping drain valves I have seen are located in the bathroom under the sink. Usually there is just a small access hole to reach your hand in, to give it a yank. Find these items, and use your finger to see if it is wet. If they are all dry, place a little TP, at the end of each pipe, and look again in the morning. Also remember to check your water pressure relief valve, hose connections, and outside shower.

One more possible thing, do you have an aftermarket back flow preventer on your hose connection at the TT? If the CG, turned off there water at night to protect there plumbing from frozen pipes, it may have released water too.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 03:15 PM   #3

Is the wet spot below your low point drain tubes under your trailer?

The T-Valves that drain your water system though the low point drain tubes are cheap and are notorious for leaking. I replaced mine with ball valves.
1996 Viking Pop-up
1979 Coleman 8 man cabin tent
1967 G.I Joe (hasbro) canvas pup tent
THE MEEKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 03:19 PM   #4

Couple long shots here:

Was the spot under any low-point drains? The true LP drains have been known to leak. But I would expect them to leak all the time, not just at night.

Could it be condensation? What you describe seems like a lot of moisture for just condensation though...

Could it be a leaky P-trap from the shower? That's about the closest spot where moisture could be coming from based on your floorplan? My trailer had a leaky shower P-trap; created a pretty big mess.

Can you get down really low and look directly above what you perceive to be the "wettest" spot on the pavement? Water can do funny things on its journey to the lowest point.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 03:29 PM   #5
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
Couple long shots here:

Could it be condensation? What you describe seems like a lot of moisture for just condensation though...
My first guess was condensation too. Warm trailer and 30 degree temps outside, the rig could be sweating. You know how well these rigs are (not) insulated. I see condensation under my rig when it sits in the driveway, and the delta of the inside temps (not heat running, just warm from the sun) and the outside temps causes moisture on the driveway.

Since the OP said it was near his black/gray valves, sweating from the warmer water in the tanks?
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 03:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
My first guess was condensation too. Warm trailer and 30 degree temps outside, the rig could be sweating. You know how well these rigs are (not) insulated. I see condensation under my rig when it sits in the driveway, and the delta of the inside temps (not heat running, just warm from the sun) and the outside temps causes moisture on the driveway.

Since the OP said it was near his black/gray valves, sweating from the warmer water in the tanks?
I was thinking if the tanks were nearby and he took a hot shower the night before, that could create enough condensation under the right curcumstances.

But I agree with you, my rig sweats worse than I do!!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 03:34 PM   #7

I've had a leak in the shower P trap a few months ago when it somehow became unscrewed so I checked that area first. Dry and dusty.

My water heater area was bone dry underneath.

There was no sign of water leaking at the spigot which had my pressure regulator or the city water connection to my 21QB which is where my water filter is located.

I'm going to check my low point drains, I'm guessing they could leak only when it's cold. It seemed like fresh water, no sign of a soap film and definitely not black water, no smell.
Old 01-20-2020, 03:40 PM   #8

The other oddity is why would its be past the edge of the trailer? My wife's first guess was somehow water leaked out from the waste water drain out a couple feet then flowed back under the trailer. Which would be from high to low but for that much spray it would have had to been under pressure.
Old 01-20-2020, 04:40 PM   #9
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
I was thinking if the tanks were nearby and he took a hot shower the night before, that could create enough condensation under the right curcumstances.
Exactly what I'm thinking. Warm water from showers or washing dishes sweating off of the pipes/tanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaftCoach View Post
The other oddity is why would its be past the edge of the trailer?
What type of ground are you parked on? Gravel or asphalt. Any chance it's condensation running down the wall of the rig and across the ground?
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 04:41 PM   #10

You could stay up all night with a flashlight and see where it's coming from?

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 06:15 PM   #11

We're back home but I looked under the trailer and I now have a couple to dos but that's another story.

The fabric is totally dry. Looking at the tank and thinking about the ground, the high point of the campsite was streetside rear. If it was condensation from the tanks the water flowed exactly where it would be expected to except for about two feet towards the street out away from the trailer. The ground might have a small slope that way.
Old 01-21-2020, 03:20 PM   #12

Maybe something like we encountered...

We have 15kBTU AC/heat pumps on the roof - front and rear. We fire up the heat pump early in the morning to warm up the Seneca and they run for about 45 minutes before they shut down.

The outside fins of the AC/Heat Pump are icing up the entire outdoor coil while the Heat Pump is running... After we shut it down and the pressures normalize, that iced up coil suddenly defrosts and drains all that moisture on the roof of the Seneca - runs down the side and makes a good sized puddle.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 03:47 PM   #13

Is your rig potty trained?

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 07:22 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post

Lol

The sides of the trailer were dry. The surface was compacted stone with some asphalt. It is a former Texas State Park now bed operated by the city.

I'm thinking it was a lot of condensation from dish washing. If the site was slightly crowned in the middle water would have run to both sides. The site was higher at the rear were there wasn't any water. All of the water was directly under the tanks or downhill. I assumed because I needed a block on one side that the site ran that way. But if it was crowned then some would have flowed to that area.

Sadly, owning a unit always seems to be what's wrong now.
Old 02-01-2020, 01:47 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post

Or maybe your neighbor. We hit a lot of music festivals and not uncommon.
Rfidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 02:56 PM   #16

Put a new cheap tarp under, catch the water, check the color and sniff for soap or whatever.
garywilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 03:22 PM   #17

I 5th or 6th the motion for condensation!
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 07:43 AM   #18

I also vote for condensation. We get heavy dew here by the coast and the driveway behind our cars looks like we hosed them down in the mornings. Could also be heat pumps as noted. Our heat pump outside the house also puts out a lot of water when going through its defrost cycle.
Yamaha XT250
berwin is offline   Reply With Quote