Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-27-2017, 08:26 PM   #1

Wheel Bearing repack

We have put about 11,000 miles on our 2014 whitehawk in the last three years and we are getting ready to put another 6000 on it this year so I figured I should check/pack the wheel bearings. The axles have the bearing buddies on them but after reading some stories about people having over greased their wheel bearings using that system I have not used it.

So what I found in short was what many people had complained about when using the bearing buddies and that is the inner bearing gets grease but the outer bearing only gets a little. Also more than one of the grease seals had allowed grease into the break drum area, one was to the point where the brake pads were covered. So the long and short of it is that as I have always done I will continue to hand pack wheel bearings because it is the only way to know for sure that the grease is getting where it belongs.
Old 03-27-2017, 08:46 PM   #2

When I pulled mine apart last year, there was no grease on the brakes or past the seal, BUT, I still packed them by bearing packer and by hand to make sure all was well packed before reassembly. I had used the EZ lube zerk several times before. I prefer hand packed over any EZ lube as you know exactly what you have when it goes back together. I do ours every other year since our annual mileage has decreased a lot recently.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 08:48 PM   #3

I feel the same way, its such an easy job to do and you know exactly what is going on with your bearings. If you take the EZ route you don't know where the grease is or isn't going.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 05:19 AM   #4

Where are you guys getting the new inner seals? From Dexter? I'm assuming that the hubs are like a boat trailer and you're prying them out to get to the inner bearing and have to replace them. I think the axles on my camper are 4000# rated. I just did a repack on our boat trailer bearings and had to go to NAPA to match up the inner seals for replacement.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 05:54 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCNashville View Post
...Where are you guys getting the new inner seals? From Dexter? ....
I get mine from etrailer.com.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 05:54 AM   #6

Yes the seals are a one use and done item. I pick up seals at the local RV dealer for $3.50 each. I cross referenced the Dexter bearings and cups to Timken since they are still made in the USA and were cheaper than the China made Dexters on Amazon.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 02:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCNashville View Post
Where are you guys getting the new inner seals? From Dexter? I'm assuming that the hubs are like a boat trailer and you're prying them out to get to the inner bearing and have to replace them. I think the axles on my camper are 4000# rated. I just did a repack on our boat trailer bearings and had to go to NAPA to match up the inner seals for replacement.
I went to a local trailer shop and told him what axle and brake size I had and he had a box full...$2 each. I'm guessing Dexter uses the same seal in lots of axles.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Old 03-28-2017, 04:15 PM   #8

I do as others have stated and do mine every 2 yrs. I just do one wheel at a time with the Trailer Aid (https://www.amazon.com/Tough-1-Tough...ds=trailer+aid). Haven only had the 377 for 1 year, so that will be a project for next year.