Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-29-2017, 01:00 PM   #1

White Hawk has new stainless sink

Just completed replacement of the POS oem plastic sink in our 2014 White Hawk. Had this mod on my to-do list but went to first on the list when the OEM plastic sink failed in a glorious fashion. DW has a habit of moving the coffee maker, small cutting board, and a few other counter top items to the sink bowls when we are on the road. Never had a problem until our winter trip south in Feb. Upon arrival in Olk [1st stop] wife noticed that a corner in the bigger bowl had a hole in it that you could stick your finger thru. I was able to do a temp repair using JB weld and a patch underneath of Durabond tape. No leaks and held for the rest of our 7 week trip. After our return home in March I found that the opposite corner had completely busted out. FYI these things are about the thickness of a milk jug in the corners.

Ok cutting to the chase, ordered a double bowl on Amazon along with anew faucet. Throw in a couple deep pocket drains with strainer baskets and the total came to around $200. Not bad but ended up spending another $50 for a pex crimper tool and misc plumbing pieces. Unless you have 36" arms, hooking up the water lines was pretty much not going to happen without some mod. Thought the 19x25 sink I ordered would fit but after removing the original I realized all sinks aren't equal. The hole was about 1/2" to narrow and 1" to short side to side. Had to enlarge the hole but that went pretty smoothly. Really the only other challenge was reconnecting the water lines. Jayco left Zero extra pex so working blind behind the sink and trying to match up a 90degree faucet fitting while trying to stretch the pipe and hold it horizonital so the threads would grab was a no go. That's where the pex tool and supplies came from. After some plumbing mods water was on and no leaks. The drain had enough adjustment that I was able to reconnect using the original pieces.

Looks great and its not rocket science so the mod s/b quick and easy. Not so much for a short armed, over weight senior with artificial shoulders and knees. This was a one off project that I never want to do again. The results were beyond expectation and the wife loves it, but there is a reason I didn't become a plumber.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 02:30 PM   #2

You beat me to it. I have a sink picked out that I "think" will work and this has been on my list for a while. Care to share a few pictures along with the make and model of the sink you used?
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 08:02 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
You beat me to it. I have a sink picked out that I "think" will work and this has been on my list for a while. Care to share a few pictures along with the make and model of the sink you used?
Can't do pics but I got the sink and faucet from amazon. The sink is a dual tub with 4 holes for $109 and the faucet was a delta for $58. Amazon also has the same sink with 3 holes if you don't want a sprayer but for some reason it costs about $20 more. Sink got good reviews and it seems to be solid and well made. A few said the sink was flimsy feeling but it seemed good to me.

My W Hawk has the sink on an island so the counter top is not very wide. Had to cut 3/8" off the front and back which actually cut the counter top a little into the island frame and only left a couple inches of countertop so I'm going to add a reinforcing strip under the front and back lip to strengthen things. Other than enlarging the hole, the only other difficulty was reconnecting the water lines. Be prepared to do a bit of stretching. I had to buy a pex crimping tool so I could modify the plumbing a little.

Good luck.
Old 04-29-2017, 08:20 PM   #4

Pex is all good on mine, it's the drain lines that are iffy. I have a lot of spare parts if necessary (a few pex crimp tools, abs pipe, glue, 100's of feet of pex etc). The basic size of 19x25 gives me a target as I feel you HAD the same junk plastic sink I and others have. Scared to drop anything in it. I'd rather cut some out of the hole for a new sink than not have enough new sink for the hole. Thanks for the reply.

Do you remember the brand of sink?
Old 04-30-2017, 06:54 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
Pex is all good on mine, it's the drain lines that are iffy. I have a lot of spare parts if necessary (a few pex crimp tools, abs pipe, glue, 100's of feet of pex etc). The basic size of 19x25 gives me a target as I feel you HAD the same junk plastic sink I and others have. Scared to drop anything in it. I'd rather cut some out of the hole for a new sink than not have enough new sink for the hole. Thanks for the reply.

Do you remember the brand of sink?
Elkay is the brand. The 25x19 sink comes with 3 or 4 holes. Make sure you order the one you want. The last number [3 or 4] in the model number indicates the number of holes. The faucet I ordered was a Peerless not a delta.

If your oem plastic sink has an outside measurement that is close but a fraction of an inch smaller, It should fit with a little modification. I think it gives you a slightly larger [2 equal ] bowls but a little less edge overhang. Be careful to round off the corners of the new hole and don't over cut them as the edge has maybe 3/8 of an inch of cover.
Old 04-30-2017, 07:14 PM   #6

Thank you for that reply. I think we picked the same sink. The one I had bookmarked was an Elkay of the same size with 3 holes. Just looked it up, yep that's it. Glad you posted this.
Old 04-30-2017, 08:38 PM   #7

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 08:54 PM   #8

Well, Bassdogs gets the credit for tackling this first here, and it sounds like a fine job. I'm guilty of not taking pictures of some of my mods. If I can ever get around to it, I suppose I'll post pictures.
Old 05-01-2017, 07:11 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
Unless you have 36" arms, hooking up the water lines was pretty much not going to happen without some mod. .
Braided stainless steel hose lines. Just like you use on household plumbing. RV & houses use the same standard
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 08:17 AM   #10

Pix NOTHING!

I want the make, model number and retail source details on the new sink!

That plastic piece of [stuff] is going BYE BYE if there is a no countertop cutting replacement in stainless.

The plumbing is a no brainer compared to haveing to change the hole in the countertop.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 08:33 AM   #11

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001Q...LLL&ref=plSrch

Try link above, or do a search on amazon for Elkay 19x25 stainless sink. As Bassdogs mentioned, the last number in the P/N is how many holes, 3 or 4. The 3 hole one shows up at $116 I believe.
Old 05-01-2017, 09:37 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murff View Post

Murff
Sorry but this dude is not a techie and doesn't even have a smartphone. Don"t need one and don't want one. Between BigJohn and my posts you should be able to figure it out. No offense but a dozen close up pics of a mod more often than not don't make a lot of sense if you aren't familiar with the big picture. Want pics then don't go to my threads.

I did a lot of surfing looking for a replacement stainless sink and this was the best available. The size is almost the same but I couldn't find one that didn't require a little hole enlargement. We're talking fractions of an inch here. Otherwise I suspect you are stuck with composite.
Old 05-01-2017, 10:46 AM   #13

This is a good mod... and to help the OP out and get some of you off his arse... Here's what mine came out looking like on a SOB trailer a few years ago. I did have to relieve the sink hole a little but it's all explained in the text.

Here's the link: http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...s-47846-2.html
Old 05-01-2017, 10:56 AM   #14

Hey, I remember you from "the other side" schrederman. Hadn't noticed you over here yet. Thanks for that link.
Old 05-07-2017, 08:46 PM   #15

I'm just like a bad penny.... can't seem to get rid of me....