Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Jayco Tech and Tow > Jayco Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 10-14-2020, 12:43 PM   #1

Winterization Question - lines between bypass and hot water heater

I have drained my hot water heater, and turned the bypass valves. I'm blowing the lines out and then going to run antifreeze.

Isn't there potential for the 2 short runs (hot and cold) between the bypass valves and hot water heater to still have water in them and freeze since they are not blown out or antifreezed?

I know I don't want antifreeze in my tank, but I could plug the hot water heater, un-by pass, and blow out prior to antifreeze?
Attached Thumbnails
PXL_20201014_183508156.jpg  
flyfishMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 12:49 PM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
if it runs down it will enter the tank. those lines only would have a little bit water in them and will not damage even when frozen.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 02:18 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishMT View Post
I have drained my hot water heater, and turned the bypass valves. I'm blowing the lines out and then going to run antifreeze.

Isn't there potential for the 2 short runs (hot and cold) between the bypass valves and hot water heater to still have water in them and freeze since they are not blown out or antifreezed?

I know I don't want antifreeze in my tank, but I could plug the hot water heater, un-by pass, and blow out prior to antifreeze?
No need to blow if your gonna add antifreeze. not if you drained with the low point drains.

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323 BH
Cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 03:49 PM   #4
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishMT View Post

Yes.

You should open and close those valves and blow them out in each direction. Plus, look closely at the cold water inlet to the tank. It runs uphill, so there's a chance of water settling there and freezing. I give a little shot of antifreeze into that lower line to protect that water inlet to the tank.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 05:34 PM   #5

That bottom connection is definitely a trap. Blow it out. RV antifreeze won't get in there if it is sitting with water in it. Water won't run uphill.
Riich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 05:43 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riich View Post
That bottom connection is definitely a trap. Blow it out. RV antifreeze won't get in there if it is sitting with water in it. Water won't run uphill.
The water will go to the nearest open faucet! Using antifreeze replaces all the water. any water that may be left is MIXED with the antifreeze! That is how you use antifreeze open every faucet until it flows pink. It can not leave any clear water in the pipes.

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323 BH
Cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 07:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavie View Post
The water will go to the nearest open faucet! Using antifreeze replaces all the water. any water that may be left is MIXED with the antifreeze! That is how you use antifreeze open every faucet until it flows pink. It can not leave any clear water in the pipes.
Dude. Look at the photo. The line runs downhill to the cold inlet of the water heater to begin with, to the elbow, and then uphill into the water heater. He switched the valves before blowing. There is water trapped there. I have the exact same setup.

Explain to me how water goes to the nearest faucet when it is trapped in this piece of piping. And explain to me how any water left gets mixed with the antifreeze (you words) when there is a valve isolating the line from the antifreeze.

FlyfishMT, after draining your water heater (leave the plug out) and before bypassing the water heater, hook up air to the city inlet and blow that line out to the heater. And then bypass it. You had the right idea by recognizing the issue and asking the question. Good luck.
Riich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 09:58 PM   #8
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riich View Post
Dude. Look at the photo. The line runs downhill to the cold inlet of the water heater to begin with, to the elbow, and then uphill into the water heater. He switched the valves before blowing. There is water trapped there. I have the exact same setup.
Yep. It also won't drain to the low point drains either.

I'm not convinced that the air can blow it all out either, being that it's a low point. Once the air clears part of it, the air can pass over the top and leave water laying in the bottom of the line.

Or water can settle at the fitting. This is why I pump in antifreeze after blowing out the majority of water. What little water that is left in the line hopefully won't completely dilute the antifreeze and still give it freeze protection.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote