Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-08-2017, 09:47 AM   #1

Wire nuts... wire nuts everywhere

So I picked up our new trailer not even a week ago now, I was crawling around under it so I could familiarize myself with the goings ons under there and I noticed that the majority of the wiring under the trailer is held together with wire nuts. This is really frustrating for me since I work on otr trucks and see stuff like this causing issues all the time. So I plan on cutting them all out and atleast crimping and heat shrinking all the connections instead. I found them on the slide motor the wiring going into the trailer and into the battery box. It's just frustrating that this what I get for all the cash I just shelled out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2018 slx267 bhs
RichP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 10:13 AM   #2
Lost in the Woods

Technically they are a crimp and not a wire nut (Marrette)
I wouldn't waste my time redoing everything by recrimping and heat shrinking, because the connection is fine. The problem is that water can get in there, and this is easily fixed by a small application of Goop. If you've never used Goop before, try it, and you'll wonder how you ever did without it. This will make all your connections water and UV proof.

Danno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 10:14 AM   #3

Those are crimps, just not covered with heat shrink.

Semperlite | CRIMP-22-18 - $0.10 - CRIMP-22-18 Pre-insulated crimp connector for 22-18 gauge wire 22000

PS: Danno won...
Old 12-08-2017, 10:25 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno View Post

I wouldn't waste my time redoing everything by recrimping and heat shrinking, because the connection is fine. The problem is that water can get in there, and this is easily fixed by a small application of Goop. If you've never used Goop before, try it, and you'll wonder how you ever did without it. This will make all your connections water and UV proof.

I could see that they looked crimped but I didn't know one ended crimp connectors existed. Hence the confusion. Using the goop looks like a better too since if I did have any warranty issues I could see how it could be angled against me re wiring it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2018 slx267 bhs
RichP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 12:11 PM   #5

Yes those are a crimp on connector.

I went under my HTT when brand new, and applied liquid electrical tape to every connection to try to keep the corrosion out. I also coated the tank sensors too. I also pulled all the electrical up as needed to keep road debris from damaging the wires. I have not had any issues with my electrical system.

While under there I located every hole in the floor and filled it with a little piece of SS scrub brush (scotch pad thing) and then applied some marine caulk to keep the mice out. Never have had a a mouse in the tt!

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 02:14 PM   #6

If you're going to be under there anyway, might as well put something around any unprotected wires going through frame holes. I had the insulation on a tail light wire rub through where it went through a frame hole and blow a fuse every other trip. It was very frustrating and hard to find.
retiredtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 04:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Those are crimps, just not covered with heat shrink.

Semperlite | CRIMP-22-18 - $0.10 - CRIMP-22-18 Pre-insulated crimp connector for 22-18 gauge wire 22000

PS: Danno won...

X3
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 06:33 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno View Post

I second that emotion. Shoe goo is the same product. Lapages 100 is a product that is less vicious, flows to level but cures to hard flexible crystal clear good for encasing small gauge wire repair on level surface or apply accordingly in layers, will bond to almost everything.
4" Magnaflow, Banks Air Intake
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs
DMRGMC is offline   Reply With Quote