Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Closed Thread

Old 10-31-2019, 09:47 AM   #1

Federal fishing/hunting license

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...icense-seniors

I do not know if this is a big issue with anyone else but, I like to fish, and co not afford to buy a non resident license in every state I travel to, just in case your interested, I hope this is OK to post
Old 10-31-2019, 11:25 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer55 View Post
https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...icense-seniors

I do not know if this is a big issue with anyone else but, I like to fish, and co not afford to buy a non resident license in every state I travel to, just in case your interested, I hope this is OK to post
Interesting. I certainly would benefit a little bit financially from something like this, just like I benefit a little bit from being able to get the lifetime senior National Parks and federal fee access lands pass.

But part of me (a big part of me, truth be told . . .) thinks this would be a significant loss of states' rights and an expansion of federal control over the states, loss of revenue to state wildlife agencies for fish and wildlife conservation, etc.

Also, I expect it could be hard to argue that the annual cost of buying non-resident fishing licenses is unaffordable when folks consider the costs we're able to afford to buy, operate, and maintain $170k motor homes, or even in my situation with a $20k travel trailer.

Will be interested in others' thoughts on here.
Old 10-31-2019, 12:05 PM   #3

No thanks. States rights and we don't need any more federal control over our lives. Also, don't want a bunch of 'out of staters (non-residents)' coming in and killing off our wildlife just because they have a "national permit". There are also state limits on the types of firearms and ammunition that can be used for hunting in certain areas of the states and we don't need the feds dictating these laws.

Top that off with another government agency that will have to control permits, determine catch and bag limits etc....

NO THANKS, NOT NEEDED AND I DON'T WANT IT.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk TOAD
Old 10-31-2019, 12:22 PM   #4
CAG

Much of the money that goes to wildlife research, preservation and management comes from the sale of licenses within states, along with the sale of sporting goods, such as hunting and fishing gear. Many states like Arizona have Game and Fish departments that are not funded by the state's general fund. In other words they prefer to remain untied to control by politicians. Take just a little of their funding and we can make a big, and unwelcome impact on game and fish management. I do not and would not support such a "privilege" for seniors, or any other group for that matter. The small figure that we pay to fish in other states needs to remain in place.

A note that Arizona and many other states have "Pioneer" licenses. At 75 I no longer had to pay for a fishing or hunting license. I do have to pay for an elk, deer or javelina tag when I hunt. When I go to Kansas to turkey hunt I pay for a license and tags. That is only right that I support their conservation efforts.

I vote a big no on this one and would think that most states will do the same. If-fact I will probably let my politicians know how I feel.
Old 10-31-2019, 03:25 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GL243 View Post
Interesting. I certainly would benefit a little bit financially from something like this, just like I benefit a little bit from being able to get the lifetime senior National Parks and federal fee access lands pass.

But part of me (a big part of me, truth be told . . .) thinks this would be a significant loss of states' rights and an expansion of federal control over the states, loss of revenue to state wildlife agencies for fish and wildlife conservation, etc.

Also, I expect it could be hard to argue that the annual cost of buying non-resident fishing licenses is unaffordable when folks consider the costs we're able to afford to buy, operate, and maintain $170k motor homes, or even in my situation with a $20k travel trailer.

Will be interested in others' thoughts on here.
You have some very good points. And I agree with most of them. I know the states use that revenue to maintain and replenish their fisheries.

But I do find it a bit ridiculous that a 5 day nonresident fishing license costs twice as much as an annual resident license in some cases.

How about a federal law that states all seniors only pay the residents annual license fee. Then control and revenues stay with the state and we get an affordable solution.

Gone Fishing!
SIGPIC
Old 10-31-2019, 03:35 PM   #6

There were less than 10 people who "signed" the petition when I just looked, and need 100,000 signatures by 11/30/19 for it to become valid.
Equalizer WDH
TV 2018 F150 FX4 SC 3.5EB TP/MT
Old 10-31-2019, 03:47 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan S. View Post
You have some very good points. And I agree with most of them. I know the states use that revenue to maintain and replenish their fisheries.

But I do find it a bit ridiculous that a 5 day nonresident fishing license costs twice as much as an annual resident license in some cases.

How about a federal law that states all seniors only pay the residents annual license fee. Then control and revenues stay with the state and we get an affordable solution.
That would be a form of compromise, I suppose. But it would also still be federal usurpation of States' rights. At least as I see it.

I wonder if a thorough and honest analysis might show that seniors who can afford RVs and travel to other states to fish and hunt are on average more capable of affording nonresident fishing and hunting licenses than younger folks who are still working, supporting families, saving for retirement, etc.
Old 10-31-2019, 08:14 PM   #8

Most Fish and Wildlife Departments depend on the revenue from fishing and hunting licenses for a significant portion of their annual budgets.

A person who has the means to travel to multiple states on an annual basis should be able to afford out-of-state fees to hunt and/or fish.

Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions.

Old 11-01-2019, 03:41 AM   #9

well I guess they should do the same with drivers licenses too, have to have one in every state, since we can all afford it,
I guess
Old 11-01-2019, 05:25 AM   #10

Quote:
well I guess they should do the same with drivers licenses too, have to have one in every state, since we can all afford it,
I guess
That would cut down on the holiday traffic jams and the news saying each and every holiday is "THE busiest holiday for travel" wouldn't it.
Equalizer WDH
TV 2018 F150 FX4 SC 3.5EB TP/MT
Old 11-01-2019, 05:44 AM   #11

resident fishing license in california is $50.00 and a non resident is $135.00, we paid $90.00 in Nebraska for three day fishing license, wanted to fish in washington, but didn't want to pay for another exuberant price for a three day license, people are ok with things when they suit them, like national park passes, and veteran only parks, I never said I wanted it for free, if you travel ten stares and want to fish, or are full time and even more it would get pretty expensive, but thats ok, what ever works for everyone is fine
Old 11-01-2019, 05:46 AM   #12

and with that might as well have to register your vehicle in every state to, why should only one state get the revenue and not the others

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimp View Post
That would cut down on the holiday traffic jams and the news saying each and every holiday is "THE busiest holiday for travel" wouldn't it.
Old 11-01-2019, 06:32 AM   #13

I think a federal license is a horrid idea. And I am a leftie. Here in Maine we have a senior license already that is valid even if the senior moves out of state.

Let the states decide. They fund the fish and wildlife programs. The Feds have a limited presence in the East.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Old 11-01-2019, 06:34 AM   #14

yea it is good in the state of maine, but not anywhere else,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Gass View Post
I think a federal license is a horrid idea. And I am a leftie. Here in Maine we have a senior license already that is valid even if the senior moves out of state.

Let the states decide. They fund the fish and wildlife programs. The Feds have a limited presence in the East.
Old 11-01-2019, 07:30 AM   #15

In New England, my MA saltwater license is recognized in RI, CT, ME and NH.. It's definitely convenient as I fish MA, NH, RI.
My tuna/shark license is separate and is managed by the feds.
Old 11-01-2019, 07:54 AM   #16

Quote:
yea it is good in the state of maine, but not anywhere else,
I am not about to examine every states senior reciprocity rules. Its ironic a Federal fishing and hunting license petition where many federal lands prohibit hunting.

If the feds took over licensing our game law enforcement and water safety enforcement would go down the tubes. There are many game wardens in Inland Fish and WIldlife that do boater education law enforcement and search and rescue.

You think the Feds would do that?? In this era?

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Old 11-01-2019, 08:05 AM   #17

Quote:
resident fishing license in california is $50.00 and a non resident is $135.00, we paid $90.00 in Nebraska for three day fishing license, wanted to fish in washington, but didn't want to pay for another exuberant price for a three day license, people are ok with things when they suit them, like national park passes, and veteran only parks, I never said I wanted it for free, if you travel ten stares and want to fish, or are full time and even more it would get pretty expensive, but thats ok, what ever works for everyone is fine
That was the point and intent of my original post. The wife and I took a fishing trip this last summer. Fished in Utah, Colorado and then back in Utah. At about $300 worth of non resident licenses, it seemed a bit ridiculous. I am all for states keeping control over their wildlife resources, and charging fees for their use to generate revenue to maintain them. But being a contributing taxpayer all my life, continuing to stuff individual states coffers with resort fees, gas taxes, sales tax’s etc. You would think they would want the retired RV community to come and spend money. Some incentives other than national park passes (which the feds get) might help. Our next trip will not include multiple states fishing. We will just pick one state to fish in. Unlike one comment that was made, we are not all wealthy. My wife and I worked hard, saved and raised a family for many years for this opportunity. We want to see and enjoy as much as we can and that is determined by our personal finances.

Gone Fishing!
SIGPIC
Old 11-01-2019, 08:37 AM   #18

A very complex picture. I would like to see a "Non-commercial Fishing only" national license. Others would argue for a complete "Fish and Game" permit, but we could start somewhere. The link below shows that states receive about 30% in funding from the purchase of the license. The rest of funding is sliced up.

https://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/funding/charts.html

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
Old 11-01-2019, 08:56 AM   #19

Quote:
I guess
Interesting analogy, food for more thought.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I suspect it's the states that get to make that decision on honoring other states' driver's licenses and not an overarching, or more importantly to this discussion overreaching, federal mandate requiring it.

Now, perhaps there is a connection to Constitutionally mandated federal oversight and promotion of "interstate commerce" (Commerce Clause), i.e., maybe states need to honor other states' driver's licenses to keep getting federal highway funds(?). Regardless, I would think it's still the states that get to decide.

At the risk of having yet more worms start to peak out of the can here, anyone want to now deliberate linking State access to federal funds generated by sale of hunting and fishing equipment with honoring other states' hunting and fishing licenses? Can't imagine something like that would ever just apply to seniors, however . . . Maybe there's already some court history with it.
Old 11-01-2019, 09:34 AM   #20
CAG

Something that seems to be missing in all of this is that the federal government does not regulate fishing and hunting in the 50 states. The states do that. Even on federal land such as the national forests. The forest service manages the trees (and has done a terrible job of it) and the states manage the wildlife. So this would appear to be another "federal mandate" forced on states.
Closed Thread