Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Jayco Life > News and Blogs
Click Here to Login

Old 12-11-2013, 02:00 PM   #1
AutoBot

Mr. Heater “Portable Buddy” Propane Heater

From the Open Road RV.Net Blog --

We’re always on the lookout for ways to more effectively heat our RV. That’s why the Mr. Heater Portable Buddy propane heater (http://goo.gl/lRw3cm) caught my eye.When the going gets really cold, we’ve found it useful to supplement the built-in heat sources on our Airstream with an extra space heater. We’ve been using an electric [...]

More...
JaycoBot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 04:44 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaycoBot View Post
From the Open Road RV.Net Blog --

We’re always on the lookout for ways to more effectively heat our RV. That’s why the Mr. Heater Portable Buddy propane heater (http://goo.gl/lRw3cm) caught my eye.When the going gets really cold, we’ve found it useful to supplement the built-in heat sources on our Airstream with an extra space heater. We’ve been using an electric [...]

More...
I would be very cautious about un-vented propane heater in an RV. They put out a lot of moisture and can cause severe condensation problems.
2014 Greyhawk 31FS with a 2007 Tahoe toad
New setup:
2014 Thor Palazzo 33.3 with a 2017 Ford Explorer toad
msturtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 09:51 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by msturtz View Post
I would be very cautious about un-vented propane heater in an RV. They put out a lot of moisture and can cause severe condensation problems.

X2. We have a KozyWorld and we always keep a couple of windows cracked. That helps replace the oxygen and keep the condensation down. We always use the electric heater for when we are sleeping.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 09:41 AM   #4

I have used a Big Buddy in my RV for 3 years now. I leave the bathroom roof vent cracked just a little and have had no problems... but rarely do I ever sleep with it on. I just wish it had a thermostat so you could set the temp on it
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 10:02 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seann45 View Post
I have used a Big Buddy in my RV for 3 years now. I leave the bathroom roof vent cracked just a little and have had no problems... but rarely do I ever sleep with it on. I just wish it had a thermostat so you could set the temp on it
It really depends on the ambient humidity in the area around your coach and how much the heater is running. If the humidity is high in the fall winter like it is in Washington State then you quickly could have a humidity problem. Whereas in the high desert of Nevada where it gets cold but very dry adding humidity to the air is fine. In many jurisdictions it is against code to have an unvented propane or natural gas heater in a enclosed RV or mobile home. The reasoning behind this is because they tend to be fairly well sealed and have a very small living area relative to a normal house. What can happen is as the oxygen is depleted the combustion can become incomplete producing carbon monoxide gas. Normally these heaters produce carbon dioxide and water vapor. Another problem is you have flammable gas in a pressurized container inside a very small space. These bottles do vent propane under certain conditions such as them getting too hot or going from a very cold area to a hot area causing the propane to expand or even boil inside the container. They have an automatic vent to release pressure preventing an explosion. By the way I have a 15,000 BTU propane heater as well. I only use it sparingly when I have no other options. Such as when I am working outside or in a temporary location. I read the directions on a natural gas / propane heater and they stated that you need at least 1 square foot in and out of unobstructed ventilation to run it. That is a large opening!
2014 Greyhawk 31FS with a 2007 Tahoe toad
New setup:
2014 Thor Palazzo 33.3 with a 2017 Ford Explorer toad
msturtz is offline   Reply With Quote