Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-02-2018, 09:13 AM   #1

My first excise tax on my new Jayco.

So I purchased a 2018 Jayco x17z in February of this year. Massachusetts has a yearly excise tax on vehicles, boats, trailers, RVs, etc.
The valuation is based on the MSRP and the age of the vehicle. Well I was more than shocked when the valuation of my hybrid camper was $29,500!
I went to the assessors office and the town collector to explain the gross overage in their assessment. I offered to let them come to my home and walk through the camper to get an actual hands on evaluation. They’re not interested in doing that. They explained that they get their figures from the registry of motor vehicles. So, I called them and they pointed back to the assessors office stating that they can make the adjustments in their office if they feel the valuation is high.
Back to the assessors office I go, with all of my paperwork from the dealer and the MSRP from Jaycos website which is $23k and change. I also had the MSRP of my exact trailer with the options I have. It came to $23,141.00
I don’t mind paying the tax that is due, but artificially inflating the value is pure theft. I refuse to pay tax on something I don’t own, or earn.
I’ll let you know how I make out. Right now it’s in the office of a State Rep. He should get back to me sometime this week.

I advise anybody living in a state that imposes excise taxes to check your valuations.
Old 04-02-2018, 09:45 AM   #2

We're on the other side of the state, and thankfully the excise tax on our units has always been accurate. It's also amazing how quickly the units devalue (at least according to the assessment).
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 09:59 AM   #3

I am glad I live in a state that doesn't charge those crazy fees every year. When new I paid 6% sales tax and will never pay anyone another cent, and the license plate is a once and done forever plate for $200. I am always amazed at the fees some have to pay, I would hate to pay those fees on my boat since the MSRP is over 500k, ouch
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 10:29 AM   #4

Good luck. As in a house tax assessment valuation has nothing to do with current market value.

We have the same sort of tax in Maine.. My house is assessed at a price I could never get today. Assessments have to be done every ten years to set the mill rate. They aren't done every year.
Our house was assessed during a real estate bubble.

But states do recognize that vehicles depreciate and next year your tax will be less.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 10:36 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer330 View Post
I am glad I live in a state that doesn't charge those crazy fees every year. When new I paid 6% sales tax and will never pay anyone another cent, and the license plate is a once and done forever plate for $200. I am always amazed at the fees some have to pay, I would hate to pay those fees on my boat since the MSRP is over 500k, ouch
Don't worry, your state is still getting their money out of you, even if you don't know it. If you look at taxes across the country, and take them ALL into account, you will find that we all pay roughly the same amount, just in different ways.

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
DanNJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 10:43 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Gass View Post
Good luck. My house is assessed at a price I could never get today. Assessments have to be done every ten years to set the mill rate. They aren't done every year.
You guys get stroked left and right, our assessments go up or down every year based on what the market is doing. I get a notice every January from the county telling me if my property tax is going up or down for the year and by how much. And the assessment is always much lower than actual market value.
Old 04-02-2018, 10:46 AM   #7

Kim, I’m lucky that our home is assessed pretty much in line with the market. But, I don’t mind paying more or less tax on something like that because real estate prices are driven by a market....my camper is not. They tank in value the second the wheels leave the dealership.
I don’t mean to sound like I’m ranting about paying this tax. I’m fine with paying what I owe. I paid about $17,000 for the camper. I will gladly pay the tax on the Actual MSRP of $23,000....not $29,500.
Old 04-02-2018, 11:01 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer330 View Post
You guys get stroked left and right, our assessments go up or down every year based on what the market is doing. I get a notice every January from the county telling me if my property tax is going up or down for the year and by how much. And the assessment is always much lower than actual market value.
Oh please.. I dont think I am getting stroked on lakefront property.. Three grand with a nice house.

Of course your tax bill goes up and down. So does mine.. Sometimes there is a surplus in the town from the year before. Sometimes the budget we pass ( yes there IS a town meeting for ALL to work on the budget) requires a higher mill rate.

I don't mind the tax on the trailer $200. One car is $98, The other $150. With all taxes combined its far cheaper to live here than most other places

And if you are surprised at the excise tax imposed on your RV its incumbent on you to do your homework at Town Hall first. Learn what the rates and the rate of tax abatement is.

No the market does not drive assessment overall. The total taxes needed are divided by the value of each property at a specified time. You pay your share based on the relative value of your property compared to others at that time. Not the absolute value Statues may vary but no one does assessments every year. Typically its every ten years.

Read this. In Maine and I suspect in MA the excise tax is based on the MSRP

https://www1.maine.gov/revenue/forms...axbrochure.pdf

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2016 195 RB traded in
Old 04-02-2018, 11:15 AM   #9

[QUOTE=Kim Gass;624637]

No the market does not drive assessment overall. The total taxes needed are divided by the value of each property at a specified time. You pay your share based on the relative value of your property compared to others at that time. Not the absolute value Statues may vary but no one does assessments every year. Typically its every ten years.

/QUOTE]

It may be that way in your area but its totally different here, its not based on what a city needs to run and pay your share. Ours is based on what the market is doing, otherwise all it would do is go up.
Old 04-02-2018, 11:35 AM   #10

Yes Kim, it’s based off the MSRP, I covered that in my 3rd sentence of the original post.
The problem is, the MSRP that Jayco has is 23k vs. the 29k the registry came up with.
Not only have I done my homework, but I’ve done their job by providing all of the documentation proving their number is grossly overvalued. All I get is finger pointing. The assessors office blames the RMV, the RMV blames the assessors office. Now I’ve brought it to a State Rep. Hopefully he can get some clarification.
Old 04-02-2018, 11:43 AM   #11

I'm not getting involved in a spurious argument.Michigan tax laws have nothing to do with the OP

Here is the law that matters. And its NOT my opinion
https://malegislature.gov/Laws/Gener...er60a/Section1

Note.List price

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2016 195 RB traded in
Old 04-02-2018, 12:17 PM   #12

This thread has derailed a bit. Before it comes off the tracks, I’ll just repeat by saying check your valuations on your vehicles and recreational toys.
Kim, thank you for linking the MGLs. I had read over those the day I received the bill. That’s what made it clear that something was wrong. Maybe it’s a simple clerical error. Who knows. Hopefully I’ll have an update this week I can share.
Downtown74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 05:12 PM   #13

I wish you luck and not an ongoing headache.. When I went to register my TT and pay the excise I presented the bill of sale. They took the VIN off it and then pulled out a really huge book and based on the value they found there entered a valuation. The bill of sale was not a factor.

I hope in your sake they read the wrong line

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2016 195 RB traded in
Old 04-12-2018, 03:18 PM   #14

**UPDATE**

So I heard back from the State Reps office yesterday. The state RMV has amended the original value and reissued a new excise tax bill for the correct MSRP. I’m glad this ended on a positive note. I’m also glad I didn’t sit on my hands and just pay it. The discrepancy was just too big to ignore.
Old 04-12-2018, 03:21 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtown74 View Post
**UPDATE**

So I heard back from the State Reps office yesterday. The state RMV has amended the original value and reissued a new excise tax bill for the correct MSRP. I’m glad this ended on a positive note. I’m also glad I didn’t sit on my hands and just pay it. The discrepancy was just too big to ignore.
Good for you!! Glad to hear that.