Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-30-2017, 02:07 PM   #1

RV Sales hit record high

As the economy has strengthened since the Great Recession, and consumer confidence improved, sales have picked up, said Kevin Broom, director of media relations for RVIA.

Two of the major players in the industry, Thor Industries and Winnebago Industries, both manufacturers of RVs, reported huge growth in their most recent earnings report. Thor saw sales skyrocket 56.9 percent to $2.02 billion fromlast year. Winnebago's surged 75.1 percent last quarter to $476.4 million.

Gerrick Johnson, an analyst at BMO Capital Markets, attributed much of that growth to acquisitions. Thor bought Jayco, then the No. 3 player in the industry, last June; Winnebago bought Grand Design in October.

Here is the link:
Old 07-30-2017, 02:42 PM   #2
Site Team

Pretty soon the only camping spots that will be available will be on your driveway or next to your house. May have to start a new service that will coordinate available backyard and drive way spots across the USA for us.

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 04:51 PM   #3

Time to find me a new hobby.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 05:05 PM   #4

I think its going to push more of us into Boondocking personally. We just drove - a lot - thru WY, MT and ID. Lord knows, there are miles and miles and miles of solitude.

It has me thinking it's time to get seriously about solar, upping the battery reserves - and figuring out someway to solve the limited water in the coach.

If I can figure that out, I won't feel like I have to find someplace with hookups and compete with the masses.
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 05:10 PM   #5

What I am seeing is an increase of camp ground fees. Considering supply and demand the nightly fees for private campgrounds with full hookups are on the rise. And some of them (not all) are not all that great a facility in the first place. Add all the newbies to this and reservations are needed far in advance.
Oklahoma Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 07:59 PM   #6

I've been making reservations months in advance for 10 years + and have had no issues getting sites.... if you expect to pull into a park, be it public or private, at 5 pm and get a site then yes you will have a problem. Common sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2017 Eagle HT 29.5BHDS -- 2011 F350 CCSB 4x4 PSD
repacs0103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 08:08 PM   #7

I believe when fuel prices approach $ 4.00 per gallon, here in the US, we may see a substancial reduction of rv's on the highway and at campgrounds.
Lolead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 08:22 PM   #8

That explains all the knuckleheads that I have run into the past year or two at many campgrounds. They should put on a camping/rv etiquette class for those who have never gone camping or RV'ing before. Loud music, trash left at campsites, dump stations and bathrooms. Unruly kids (and adults) and disrespect for fellow campers. I know this is cyclical and it will take a year or so to weed out all these idiots. It happens every ten years or so.
1996 Viking Pop-up
1979 Coleman 8 man cabin tent
1967 G.I Joe (hasbro) canvas pup tent
THE MEEKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 08:28 PM   #9

Hate to say it, but when diesel was $4-5 a gallon, it was good for us, bad for those looking for an economical hobby. I miss the days when it was a small crowd really. I grew up in the 70's / 80's when only retired and financially better off people did it. Now everyone does it. Anyone that knows me knows I've lived for this stuff since I was 5 or so. Nowadays, I'm wondering if I'm gonna just hang it up.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 09:38 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang65 View Post
Pretty soon the only camping spots that will be available will be on your driveway or next to your house. May have to start a new service that will coordinate available backyard and drive way spots across the USA for us.

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Kind of like Home Away! Also, don't forget Walmart.
Old 07-30-2017, 10:20 PM   #11

I'm hoping it will all pass by. I see a lot of people with campers that have no idea what they are doing. Pulling with overloaded trucks and SUVs and barely able to figure out how to dump their tanks for starters. So many people in campgrounds that are literally unable to take care of their own equipment are not my concern. These people are not going to be going solar and boondocking with me. I do love a nice campground but if I have to shut that side of RVing out until the dust settles I will.
Had a camper that had a branch poke a hole in his TTs roof nearby. He looked perplexed and was trying to figure out how to fix it. I took pity and asked if he wanted a small piece of Eternabond tape to patch it for good. He looked at me like I offered him a Moon rock. I climbed up, sliced a piece off and patched his roof. Then I noticed all his dicor had shrunk up and he had 1/4" gaps in all the corners where the roof met the fiberglass corners. "Yeah we've noticed some water in the corners in heavy rains but didn't know where it was coming from" was the reply I got.
Yeah, I'm not worried. The serious campers will still be around and the ones with more money than sense and no real passion for it will fall away. They'll get tired of pouring money into rigs they neglect or get bored when it's not always like the commercials.
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 03:51 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolead View Post
I believe when fuel prices approach $ 4.00 per gallon, here in the US, we may see a substancial reduction of rv's on the highway and at campgrounds.
What $4.00 a gallon will not stop most of us but $7.00 would since that's not in the near tern I guess most of will still be camping.
2015 Silverado 2500
rodro123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 06:31 AM   #13

Pumping out RV's like there is no tomorrow, zero quality and a lack of camp space will sour a lot of people
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 06:46 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seann45 View Post
Pumping out RV's like there is no tomorrow, zero quality and a lack of camp space will sour a lot of people
I would agree. where I live I see new rvs pop up every few weeks. they will go out a few times and then they just sit. my next door neighbor for example got one last summer. very excited until first trip and tow. by the end of the summer they were thinking of selling it already.
between the towing and getting it into a campground and the bugs and weather it takes a pretty diehard bunch to go out year after year always looking forward to the next trip.
I hope everyone is right and this is a passing fad, it has been a lot harder to get sites(especially this year) hang in there everyone!!
Old 07-31-2017, 07:37 AM   #15

I agree there is an element of "passing fad" to the RV craze these days. However, camping is a perennial attraction, so there will always be those who are drawn to it. Just now, it's both economically feasible and culturally popular, so there is an upswing of interest and activity. How long that will last is a guess. But there are some upsides to the craze. First, it is a positive thing that more families consider camping and RVing, even if some simply aren't cut out for it, because it is forcing some people to slow down and enjoy the journey a bit more, making memories, etc. While quality is lower in some regards, the creature comforts of even mass-produced units far exceed the old days, so many units still will outlast the passing interest of those who try it and don't like it. Second, with more people to go around, campgrounds are able to specialize, so there is a rise of seniors/adults only campgrounds to cater to those who prefer it quieter. Third, because it's such a popular pastime, there are more accessories and add-ons available because it's profitable to make and sell them. I simply won't let the cultural camping bubble burst my own. We still find many campgrounds--mostly private--that offer some basic amenities and allow us to spend quality and quantity time in our mobile domicile.
tdk2765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 07:48 AM   #16

Price point and financing make it pretty attractive to pick up an travel trailer these days. So many shiny ones sitting in those lots, with all of the comforts of home.

"Honey for $200 a month we can beat our costs on hotels and then stay anywhere we want! Look at this Instagram pic of Bob on a mountainside with a perfect view of the lake" Not realizing the costs of getting to that point.

What many don't realize is the secondary portions of initial camping costs. Storage, Upgrades, Generators, Solar, Tow Vehicles, campsites, insurance... etc. Dealers won't talk about that when they can make a sale.
A2Z_Adventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 11:15 AM   #17

There is a whole new age segment entering the RV world as well. There are "20 somethings" who can travel and live on the road thanks to internet and the advantages that come along with not being tied down to a physical location. Thanks to blogs and advertisers who will pay bloggers, some of these folks make a tidy sum of money. One of the more well known ones (who publishes their finances) pushes a near 6-figure income. Some are traveling with families, and not small families. Rather, 3 and 4 children, dogs and cats...just like living at home. Of course the RV (as well as truck) industry is showing fantastic places to camp and explore, not necessarily those cramped KOAs. It's kinda like the "hippie" era all over again only with money . They also like to camp in remote areas so those are already getting crowded. I travel to work on Habitat jobs but if it weren't for that, I'd sell the 5er and stay in hotels....maybe .

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 11:48 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang65 View Post

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Don't give up too quick. If oil prices climb up again and/or the economy declines, there will be lots of used RVs for sale. Then, there will be lower prices for RV spots across the country and less RVs on the road.
jkaras7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 07:42 PM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkaras7 View Post
Don't give up too quick. If oil prices climb up again and/or the economy declines, there will be lots of used RVs for sale. Then, there will be lower prices for RV spots across the country and less RVs on the road.

Well here are the actual sales numbers published by the RVIA (Recreational Vehicle Industry Association). We only have to compete with 9 Million+ other RV's.

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Attached Thumbnails
MISC - RVIA 6-17-A.jpg   MISC - RVIA 6-17-B.jpg   MISC - RVIA 6-17-C.jpg  
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 08:32 PM   #20

Saw this story on our local news tonight:https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnb...ord-highs.html