Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-16-2021, 01:01 PM   #21

In May I was talking to the owner of the CG we frequent the most. He said they were turning down people for summer reservations as they are booked solid through the remainder of the season. Then they ask about the "waiting list". He said the waiting list is already too long and they aren't adding anymore requests. Granted this is for a very popular tourist area in WI, but it highlights the current demand for camping spaces.

That said I believe we are in a bubble. Like the RV exodus of 2008, there will be people who stick with it, and those that find it isn't their cup of tea. Lots discovered something they had no idea was a great way to vacation. But lots did it because it was "the thing to do". That's what's happening now, and it was forced by COVID. Sure many are saying how great this is, and many likely said it because they were happy to be out doing something instead of home doing nothing. A few people in CGS told me that too. But things are opening up. Professional sports is allowing full capacity, large festivals are happening again, many of the things that people did in summer are coming back. If they don't flock back tot those things, they will soon.

In the next few years there will be a lot who grow weary of towing a trailer, or maintaining a motor home, as well as the travel and setup that goes with all of it.

The phrase that comes to mind, "when did this stop being fun?". People are also fickle. Whatever the latest trend is they will follow it. Right now it's RVing. Next is anyone's guess.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 01:05 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcdoughboy34 View Post
HAVING BEEN A DEALER A long long time, you might suspect those are all for sale, however the problem is most dealers do not have enough employees to get everything that is sold delivered, or the units that are on the lot is missing things that prevent it for being delivered. I have been sold out to the bare walls for a few months.
Mine is sitting in the yard behind the motorhome factory. Its missing a counter, the couch, slide toppers, etc. ...

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 01:07 PM   #23

There are 22 campers in my row at the storage facility, with a total of around 100 campers site wide. I got curious the other day and walked down my row in the back of each camper. Out of 22, 8 had expired plates over 6 months and 2 were expired for 3 years. Observations like this tend to make me believe that we'll see an uptick on the used market.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 03:19 PM   #24

Some of those lots that look full may be full of units awaiting warranty work or other repairs.

"You'll need to drop it off and we'll get to it as soon as we can."
Old 06-16-2021, 03:33 PM   #25

Josh the Nerds update on what is going on.

https://youtu.be/3jgSYFuQ8Zo
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 07:04 PM   #26

There are also shortage of supplies being manufactured. I've got a new truck that's been on order for 3 months or so now. while the truck itself is all but built, they need microchips to come in and finish it. Its not just the automakers, it's all their suppliers as well. This is true across the board which is why you see plywood at such high prices, etc.
Jepitsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 07:56 PM   #27

From predictions that RV Mfg would go out of business to sold out.

I'm glad I bought Thor stock at the start of the pandemic.

I've also been predicting the used market isn't going to be that great. Most of those new units were financed for 10 years with low down payments. There may be some bank repos but I don't believe that many owners can get themselves to the break even point.
Old 06-17-2021, 04:06 AM   #28

It would be great if....

The struggling dealerships would use this change in business to focus on upgrading their service center capability and repair quality. Also to training their sales force to be more informed about appropriate tow vehicle/RV setups.
Girtski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 07:57 AM   #29
RPR

Finding labor to do the work is a big problem. Contractor and businesses around here begging for workers. Having to pay high wages just to get people to show up then they don’t want to learn a trade just draw a check. With all the unemployment government give always up to now why work?
RPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 09:23 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPR View Post
With all the unemployment government give always up to now why work?
This has been the biggest problem, minimum wage workers make more staying home. Michigan is going to change the rules, instead of giving $300 a week in federal assistance for the unemployed they are only going to give the $300 if you go back to work, and if you stay home you only get the state unemployment. About time the lazy lawmakers figured out what we all knew was happening
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 09:34 AM   #31
RPR

My personal opinion is one political party influencing individuals decision on who to vote for.
Old 06-17-2021, 10:12 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
Just saw this article about RVs being sold out. Jayco is included.

A major RV maker now has $14 billion in backlogged orders and is 'pretty much sold out for the next year'.

Thor Industries - which owns RV brands like Jayco and Airstream - first began seeing a boost in sales in May and June of 2020, especially with RV newcomers, Thor Industries' president and CEO Bob Martin told Insider in May 2020.

And now, the company is "pretty much sold out for the next year," Martin told CNBC's Jim Cramer on "Mad Money." Many of Thor's dealers also have "virtually no" inventory, but because a large portion of its backlog consists of pre-sold orders, Thor currently won't be able to increase its dealers' inventories, Martin told Cramer.

Full article : https://www.yahoo.com/news/major-rv-...215922002.html
I think this like ammunition , parts, materials cars, chips etc will be ok next year all due to covid and lack of workers and factories making supplies
arobinson6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 08:52 PM   #33

I'm on the east coast...

Sunday last week, I drove from Groton, CT to Orlando, FL.... and saw not a single dealership with low inventory... in fact, every dealership looked stuffed to the gills with rigs.

Today, I started from Orlando, driving back up the east coast, and was able to see all the dealerships that I might of missed in the dark on the way down... still, stuffed to the gills

Tuesday, I'll start the trek from Groton, CT up into lower Maine, and again, along the way, I'll scope out the dealerships from 95... anyone wanna wager on what I see? My money is on full dealerships.

No different than toilet paper... tell the masses we're all but sold out, and they rush out to buy whatever they can get their hands on.... but when you see 10 of the same rig upon arriving at the dealer, maybe you realize you've been fed a line of crap. haha - need toilet paper with that? lol
AUH #3220
White Ox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 09:18 PM   #34
RPR

X2 Be interesting to know what brands and models they are. Wondering if manufacturers are putting special order units at the tail end of the line? Some dealers have a better relationship with the manufacturer? The buying panic is over?
Old 06-27-2021, 05:09 AM   #35

I don’t know, but all I can say for the dealers I frequent in NJ and PA - they’re largely empty.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 06:31 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Ox View Post
I'm on the east coast...

Sunday last week, I drove from Groton, CT to Orlando, FL.... and saw not a single dealership with low inventory... in fact, every dealership looked stuffed to the gills with rigs.

Today, I started from Orlando, driving back up the east coast, and was able to see all the dealerships that I might of missed in the dark on the way down... still, stuffed to the gills

Tuesday, I'll start the trek from Groton, CT up into lower Maine, and again, along the way, I'll scope out the dealerships from 95... anyone wanna wager on what I see? My money is on full dealerships.

No different than toilet paper... tell the masses we're all but sold out, and they rush out to buy whatever they can get their hands on.... but when you see 10 of the same rig upon arriving at the dealer, maybe you realize you've been fed a line of crap. haha - need toilet paper with that? lol

Hooey.. Did you stop at each and ask a few questions?

1. How many are waiting to be checked before the customer comes to do a PDI ( Ours was on the lot for two months after we paid for it before we could pick it up.)

2. How many are on the lot awaiting parts for repairs? Parts are not easy to come by.. we have been waiting weeks for a couple of awning caps but the wait for us does not require the unit to be on the lot.

3. How far behind is the repair shop running on schedule?

I am sure there are more reasons but just assuming the lots are full of unsold RV's is a fallacy.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 09:39 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Gass View Post
Hooey.. Did you stop at each and ask a few questions?
1. How many are waiting to be checked before the customer comes to do a PDI ( Ours was on the lot for two months after we paid for it before we could pick it up.)
X-2 Just looked at one family owned dealer's web site. Shows 40 new rigs in stock, when you scroll down 30 are marked SOLD..
Old 06-27-2021, 10:59 AM   #38
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
X-2 Just looked at one family owned dealer's web site. Shows 40 new rigs in stock, when you scroll down 30 are marked SOLD..
We were at my selling dealer 2 weeks ago for the PA annual safety inspection. At the time, they had just a few trailers on the lot and most of those were used. I just checked the website and at the time of posting this, they have 8 new units listed in stock. (No idea if they are actually available)

https://huffys.com/inventory/new/

When we purchased ours there in 2017, there were close to 100 trailers to choose from.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 11:11 AM   #39

White Ox was probably looking at a lot of Camping Worlds. They will do ANYTHING to keep their lots looking full and sparkly because they are typically on interstates and have exposure. Including trying to keep a unit for months for repairs. Its not new. Its owned. They tried to pull that one on me in Ft Meyers. My toilet was broken and they said we could not travel without a new one and a new black tank installed as there was a crack in it. They quoted four months.
They had removed the toilet and we had already bought a new one. We put the new one in the tub and put cardboard over the hole. It was a three day drive to home. Campgrounds have these things called bathhouses.

We took the toilet and trailer to our home dealer who called BS on the black tank needing to be replaced and put the new toilet in while we waited.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 07:34 PM   #40

No, I don't stop at each one - an RV dealer is about like a car Dealer and only of value to me at the time of purchase to actually buy..... After that, I'd rather fix things myself or deal with independent repair places.

I can't speak for the repair status and I suppose it's possible that lots were on the lot for just that - Most places, I could see the "customer's rigs" lots vs. the show lot. Another give away that it's not a customer's in for repair is where there are 5 or so of the same model side by side.... but, you have me on the "already sold but not picked up" part.

I did pass a several camping worlds....and several Gander RV...and many places I hadn't heard of until driving down and back up.

Sorry to hear about your issues with Camping World. I know just from reading this forum, I'll never stop at one. And it's service like that which makes me wonder if I'd be smart or stupid for opening up my own repair service. I live 1/4 mile as the crow flies from a campground. Most repairs can be done on site... Others would be easier closer to the "tool room". haha.

P.S. Kim, we're headed up to a KOA in Lebenon, ME on Tuesday - does Adventure Land ring a bell for you?
AUH #3220
White Ox is offline   Reply With Quote