Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-06-2016, 03:08 PM   #1

Toilet stopping up

Toilet stopping up. I can run a cloths hanger down it and it will unstop it but then it stops right back up if toilet paper is put down it. I only use Rv toilet paper. Does anyone have any ideas and does anyone know if it just dumps straight in the tank

darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 03:16 PM   #2
Site Team

I depends on the rigs floorplan. If you look down and see water you will know. Some have a 45 deg or even more bend.

I would get a hand closet auger, plumbing tool, and run it down there. Sounds like something is stuck part way down.

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 03:45 PM   #3

It does have a 45 so I might have to give that a try thanks
Old 04-06-2016, 04:46 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
Toilet stopping up. I can run a cloths hanger down it and it will unstop it but then it stops right back up if toilet paper is put down it. I only use Rv toilet paper. Does anyone have any ideas and does anyone know if it just dumps straight in the tank
Had the same problem a few years back. I used a coat hanger, a snake, extra water...nothing worked. Finally bought one of the hose end washers and never again had a problem. There was a wad of paper glued to the inside of the drain pipe going from the bowl to the black tank.
The hose end washer is a 30" wand that hooks to a garden hose, and has a flexible hose about the same length at the end of the rigid wand. At the end of the hose is a brass fitting that spins when you run water thru it. Makes very quick work of cleaning out the drain line. I think I paid less than $20 for it at Wal-Mart. Any camping store should have them. I think it's made by Camco and is called a Swivel Stik Tank Rinser. Just Google "rv toilet auger".
Good luck!
Camping Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 06:21 PM   #5

We sometimes get the same thing in our X213. The toilet flushes straight down into the tank. If you shine a flashlight in there you can see right into the tank. Below the flush valve on the toilet it gets slightly wider and then there is a step where it goes into the pipe into the tank. Wads of paper and other stuff sometimes get caught on the step and cause a block.
After searching around a treeless campsite for something to stick down there to clear the block I now keep a long handle from a dustpan in the bumper just for this.
We use Costco toilet paper as the RV stuff is garbage, but it used to do it with the RV stuff as well.
Simplest solution I can see is flushing less paper at a time, but this seems impossible for my wife and daughter, so I will hang on to my poop unblocking tool.
rodandmir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 08:13 PM   #6

Had a similar problem in the past with the tp mountain. In my case it was a result of not flushing long enough. The ratio of water to solids was allowing a build up. Not realizing, it caused an odour back up. I solved it by using a large volume flush. I filled a pail and dropped it down the hole. It moved the build up and stopped the odour. Now we carry a collapsable pale from the dollar store and occasionally flush with that. Also make sure for a longer flush to increase water in the tank.
Even with the black tank flush it doesn't get all of it. When I winterize I flush the tank with about 5, 5 gal pail flushes until it runs clear. I do the same thing for the sink and shower drains to move the sediment out of the traps and put antifreeze in the traps when running the taps.
4" Magnaflow, Banks Air Intake
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs
DMRGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 08:15 PM   #7

I will get one of the wands and try it . Thanks
Old 04-06-2016, 08:23 PM   #8

I have tried pouring the water down it . It hasn't worked so far. Thanks
Old 04-07-2016, 08:15 AM   #9

Did you try HOT water?
215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12