Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-01-2018, 01:25 PM   #1

'13 Jayco Seneca House Door Steps

I have a 2013 Seneca 37RB. It is currently parked in a local secure RV storage lot. It is plugged into a 20 amp AC outlet to keep the house batteries charged. I start the Freightliner up every 10-14 days too.

Before I parked it in March 2018, the house door steps deployed and retracted fine all the time, no matter what, even just parked when it wasn't even hooked up to an AC source.

Now, when I open the house door, the steps start to very slowly deploy and then just stop about 1/4 the way out. When I close the door, they very slowly retract about 2" and stop. I tried to open/close them manually by pushing on them and that didn't work. Now they just sit about 1/4 deployed and only move 1 or 2" either way when the house door is opened. Can't drive it like this.

I think (not totally sure) that the house DC batteries are automatically charging when I plug into my 20 amp power source. Maybe not?? I also assumed the house steps run on a 12v motor??

If anyone has run into this problem please post what the problem ended up being.

Thanks,
Mark H.
Pink MG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 01:36 PM   #2

When did you lube them last?
Old 08-01-2018, 02:00 PM   #3

I never lubed them. The dealerships said they serviced EVERYTHING. I purchased the Seneca (used) from a Grand Rapids, MI dealer in December 2017 and drove it home to Delaware and parked it. Some medical problems have prevented me from using it.

I don't think this is a lubrication problem...you can see the steps had been lubed. The motor just stops like it is running out of power. Just like when your car won't crank when the battery is dying

Due to my medical issues, I have not gotten under the RV to troubleshoot the problem.
Old 08-01-2018, 02:41 PM   #4

Steps

I would lube the steps and take a battery charger from home - check your battery voltage - your batteries should be charging when hooked up to shore power but there may be a problem and if you have the original Harris batteries they should have been replaced and the dealer that you purchased from should foot the bill Les

Les & Sandy
2016 Seneca HJ - Scangauge D - Truma Comfort
560 watts solar - Blue Sky 3024iL -IPN ProRemote - Trojan T-105RE
Good Sam Life Member - FMCA Member - Passport America
Les7h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 03:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink MG View Post
I don't think this is a lubrication problem...you can see the steps had been lubed. The motor just stops like it is running out of power. Just like when your car won't crank when the battery is dying
Any kind of friction will cause them to stop it's a built in safety. The controller reads the increased current draw and stops them. Once they stop you cannot move them manually without disconnecting the motor, so trying to push them in is useless.

The pivot points and the gear at the motor and control rod need to be kept well lubed.

To check if it's low battery voltage try to open the door with the engine running.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 04:34 PM   #6

Several possible issues.
As others have said lube them or be sure they are lubed.
test voltage on both the house and chassis batteries.
The stairs are actually powered from the chassis batteries but the control power is from the house batteries. As grumpy stated Start the engine and see if that helps.
There is fuse on top of the chassis battery that might need to be reset however since you said they move I doubt that is it.
Could be a ground issue as it seems to be getting worse.
Try turning your poarch light on and try to operate the steps, these are on the same circuit and it the steps are drawing excessive power the lights will dim.
I will post a photo of the electrical schematic that might help you trace it down.
Sorry to hear about your health issues and this type of problem is probably the last thing you want to deal with, the good news is that is probably is something fairly simple and it will just take some investigation.
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 04:35 PM   #7

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5710.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	42771
Let me know if you can not read this and and I can pm it to you.
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 10:13 PM   #8

You have a low battery...start the generator if possible and see if steps work. Or could be they are wired off coach battery so start the motorhome engine and see. Either way your not getting enough power to the steps.
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 11:30 PM   #9

That was my diagnosis too...not enough voltage. So, I tried starting the truck and it still didn't operate properly when the engine was running. I'll try the generator next.

I guess having the house plugged into the 20 amp power source doesn't charge the house batteries???
Old 08-01-2018, 11:44 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink MG View Post
That was my diagnosis too...not enough voltage. So, I tried starting the truck and it still didn't operate properly when the engine was running. I'll try the generator next.

I guess having the house plugged into the 20 amp power source doesn't charge the house batteries???
Did you have the master switch (battery disconnect) turned on?
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 08:21 AM   #11

Where is that located?

When it was first parked, it was not hooked up to a 20 amp AC source for about a month because the storage lot had an electrical problem. Everything electrical in the house worked fine (lights, steps, etc.) then, so I would assume that master switch it on?
Old 08-09-2018, 11:48 AM   #12

I have the Main Power Switch on that is located in the stairwell on the side of the kitchen cabinetry. If that's what you mean cabinet maker.

I haven't been able to get over there and troubleshoot all the previous helpful responses. Busy with doctors and hospitals... SUCKS!!!
Old 08-09-2018, 11:52 AM   #13

There are 3 new Interstate Deep Cycle House Batteries in it. They were installed by the dealer in November 2017 just before I bought it.
Old 08-09-2018, 11:53 AM   #14

Mine did similar thing lubed them and works normal they do not like friction
che57vy is offline   Reply With Quote