Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-27-2016, 09:55 AM   #1

'14 Seneca 37FS Winterize/Sanitize Valve Problems

I am the 2nd owner of a '14 Seneca. The previous owner told me that they had issues winterizing it, using the stated valve positions in the plumbing bay. I, too, have found these to be incorrect for using "country fill" "Winterize/Sanitize lines" and Sanitize Tank. As stated on the valve bank, I'm supposed to turn them to positions 2 & 4 to put sanitizer out to the lines directly. I CANNOT make these positions work. I've tried several different methods of priming the pump, opening the bypasses etc to no avail, I cannot get it to take up anything.

Normal Positions work for pumping from the tank, City Water positions also work correctly. I am also able to use the City Fill Tank in its stated positions.

The only way I can get it to take anything is by gravity-feeding (placing sanitizer in a home-brewing pale with a spigot and suspending it above the fresh water inlet) and using positions 2 & 6 to pump directly to lines and 1 & 6 to pump to fresh tank.

Can anyone recommend what steps I should take for troubleshooting this? It seems that position 4 is completely fubarred.
memphis02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 10:18 AM   #2

I used the the "Sanitize/Winterize Lines" position. I fill a 5 gallon bucket with the desired amount of bleach and water and then place the bucket above the inlet (to reduce the suction head), I put the hose in the bucket and turn the pump on. The process is by no means fast, but the pump eventually draws all the water and bleach solution into the tank and then I go forth with the rest of the sanitization process.

I hope that answers your question as it took me a few minutes to figure it all out when it didn't work as I expected it should.

Ted
Old 04-27-2016, 10:25 AM   #3

Winterize

Inside the connection for fresh water to the coach for filling the tank or 'city water' is a screen that bulges in toward the coach. Remove this screen and reverse it with the screened dome facing you. This presses on the back flow preventer when installed inward and when reversed, allows suction from the pump for filling the tank from a bucket or tank. I've had to have the bucket kinda level to the fill so the suction head is reduced.
2014 Seneca 37FS
2015 Wrangler Sport toad
red-headed wife
RoWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 10:26 AM   #4

Thanks for the reply. How long did you wait for it to pick up from the bucket? I ran the pump for about 3 - 4 minutes without anything "happening". It seemed almost immediate when I changed from pos 4 to 6.
Old 04-27-2016, 10:29 AM   #5

It took a good bit of time as it was very slow at first. Did you check what RoWest posted. I know that my screen was properly installed (cone facing out), so you may want to check that first.

Ted
Old 04-27-2016, 10:30 AM   #6

It seems like it was facing outward, but I'm going to give it a look tonight.
Old 04-27-2016, 10:40 AM   #7

Winterize

If is facing outward, you would be pushing 'city water' against a back flow preventer. Low flow or no flow. When you remove the screen, there is a little spring-tab center that you can depress with your finger.
2014 Seneca 37FS
2015 Wrangler Sport toad
red-headed wife
RoWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 10:43 AM   #8

I just reread your initial post..... Make sure you have the valve in position 1 "Fill" to fill the tank from the bucket which is essentially the same as a "Country Fill". When the tank is full move the lever to position 2 to sanitize the lines. In other words fill the tank using "Country Fill", then sanitize the line using "Sanitize/Winterize Lines"

The owners manual is confusing as you would think by using positions 2&4 you can draw right from the bucket to the faucets, etc. That is not the case you have to fill the tank first.

I hope that helps.

Ted
Old 10-02-2016, 04:49 PM   #9

Flipping the filter 180 deg to depress the check valve (back flow preventer) makes the winterize valve setting work. I prefer this method over filling the fresh tank with antifreeze. Thanks for the help!!
clduke72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 09:51 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoWest View Post
Inside the connection for fresh water to the coach for filling the tank or 'city water' is a screen that bulges in toward the coach. Remove this screen and reverse it with the screened dome facing you. This presses on the back flow preventer when installed inward and when reversed, allows suction from the pump for filling the tank from a bucket or tank. I've had to have the bucket kinda level to the fill so the suction head is reduced.
That's what I did. Mine would not work also until I reversed the screen. Once I did that it sucked the liquid right in.
Mr.Oz is offline   Reply With Quote