Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-10-2017, 02:10 PM   #1

15,000W A/C Heat Pump and Solar opts

I have narrowed my choice of a Class C RV to the 29MV model. I really like the layout and it will meet my most of my needs. However, there are a few things that worry me about the 15,000w A/C Heat Pump. In my old house we had an a/c heat pump that was absolutely worthless when the humid summer hit. We never could cool down the house and the humidity rose in the house making it harder to breath. The service techs told us that a/c heat pumps are not as effective in cooling in humid weather as the regular a/c units are. Has anyone had any problems with this a/c in the summers when it is humid? Did you exchange your unit for ? brand, did it work better?

Has anyone converted their Class C to include 100% solar...could it run the a/c? How many panels were you able to fit on the roof. Thanks.
LivingOneDayataTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 02:40 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingOneDayataTime View Post
The service techs told us that a/c heat pumps are not as effective in cooling in humid weather as the regular a/c units are. Thanks.
Sounds like they didn't want to fix it.

Years ago I used to install HVAC and, at least the Heat-pump/ac units sold in the MIDWEST, were more efficient than standard a/c. The a/c heat-pump we had in our SENECA and now have in our PINNACLE do a good job of removing humidity and I'm in FL, IL, or OH and it gets very high.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 02:42 PM   #3

I think you'll find plenty of us Greyhawk owners with the 15K Coleman Mach 8 AC unit are *not* happy with it's ability to keep us cool.

If it's over 100* outside, then it's usually mid 90's for us inside. Not nice, not fun.
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 02:54 PM   #4

QUOTE=pconroy;489208]I think you'll find plenty of us Greyhawk owners with the 15K Coleman Mach 8 AC unit are *not* happy with it's ability to keep us cool.

If it's over 100* outside, then it's usually mid 90's for us inside. Not nice, not fun.[/QUOTE]

You only have R-5 insulation in the walls.

Very very few, if any, single a/c units cool at that temp, especially in the direct sun.
Old 02-10-2017, 05:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingOneDayataTime View Post
I have narrowed my choice of a Class C RV to the 29MV model. I really like the layout and it will meet my most of my needs. However, there are a few things that worry me about the 15,000w A/C Heat Pump. In my old house we had an a/c heat pump that was absolutely worthless when the humid summer hit. We never could cool down the house and the humidity rose in the house making it harder to breath. The service techs told us that a/c heat pumps are not as effective in cooling in humid weather as the regular a/c units are. Has anyone had any problems with this a/c in the summers when it is humid? Did you exchange your unit for ? brand, did it work better?

Has anyone converted their Class C to include 100% solar...could it run the a/c? How many panels were you able to fit on the roof. Thanks.
Like many others, we have had a heat pump in our home for twenty plus years here in Layette, La.. Talking about humidity, our area has a constant humidity level higher than most. I can tell you, our heat pump (no A/C unit)works better than an A/C ever did, and it does it "all year long". The unit keeps our home a constant 75* in the summer months and 69* in the winter months.

Additionally we don't even use the heat strips installed in the unit for emergencies heating in the coldest of winter.

So, you can imagine how happy we were to learn that the Jayco Greyhawk MV we were looking at had a heat pump.

Our AC/heat pump in the Greyhawk MV has worked very well for us through out the Summer of '16. We took an additional trip in October in Arkansas with some low forties and high thirties at night. We used the furnace very little because the heat pump worked so well.

"NO REGRETS ON OUR END" .....

Toad - '16 Subaru Forester (Pearl White - manual transmission)
Blue Ox (everything) for the TOAD
Boudreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 05:43 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post
I think you'll find plenty of us Greyhawk owners with the 15K Coleman Mach 8 AC unit are *not* happy with it's ability to keep us cool.

If it's over 100* outside, then it's usually mid 90's for us inside. Not nice, not fun.
You only have R-5 insulation in the walls.

Very very few, if any, single a/c units cool at that temp, especially in the direct sun.
The coach size seems also to play a role. Our old coach was a 21' with a 13.5K unit and we could make snow inside, regardless of the outside temp.

The new 31FK is frankly terrible.
It doesn't get that hot here in Colordao and it's still quite unpleasant.
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote