Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-17-2017, 12:21 PM   #1

'16 Greyhawk MV in Winter weather

Hello From Cajun Country.

We have enjoyed our Greyhawk MV a lot between April and October of '16 and '17. BUT, have not experienced any cold weather in the coach.

I have read here that there's a heat switch of the water lines in case of very cold weather.

Anyone here knows how well this heat switch works in case of cold weather (20 to 32 degrees)..?

Does this heat switch also protect the three tanks from freezing (fresh water, grey water, black water)..?

How extensive is the freeze protection of the water system in the Greyhawk MV..?

Toad - '16 Subaru Forester (Pearl White - manual transmission)
Blue Ox (everything) for the TOAD
Boudreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 08:29 PM   #2

In our 31FK, the tank heaters are just pads under the fresh, black and grey. The valves aren't protected.

We've been below freezing twice this season - once at 27*F once at 25*. Nothing froze but these were just overnight lows.

In my uneducated opinion it's simply "how cold for how long?" Many hours at 20* or less would concern me. A dip to the mid 20's doesn't.

I'll just tell you what I do, and what I'll continue to do:
- plug into 30A pedestal
- tank heaters on
- I toss a small electric heater into the back basement bay and keep the water pump, pipes, valves and filters at 60*. I plug this heater into the 20A circuit at the pedestal
- I kick the 'fridge to propane mode (also have a 60 watt bulb ready if it gets too cold)

I've got some 98 cent thermometers scattered that I check before going to bed.

Then it's electric heat in the coach, electric blankets for comfort.

There are still exposed water pipes in our 31FK, so I don't consider the coach to be winter-proof by any stretch