Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-15-2014, 10:08 PM   #1

1994 Eagle Motorhome, what to look for

I'm getting a Motorhome from an estate and want to know what I should look for and be concerned about. I'd like to keep it, but know little about it. I'm a former building inspector, and old car hobbyist and feel competent to fix it. I'd like it to be reliable so my son and his family can use it with confidence (he's a chef, and doesn't like getting his hands covered in grease). Let me know what you think. Thanks a lot!!
scott53715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 08:57 AM   #2

Priorities:
1 - Check for evidence of water leaks. Correct and repair immediately to keep water damage out of walls and ceiling. Caulking material works best but is about $10 to $12 a tube.
2 - check all appliances for operability. Parts are generally available. Maintenance documents can be found on the internet usually at manufacturers websites.
3 - vehicle drivetrain maintenance. It will be either a Ford, GM or Mopar drivetrain. Follow the same steps that you would for a medium duty truck with respect to performing maintenance on a truck that ahs been parked for long periods. Also check the conditions of the tires. They may have good tread but could be very old which could fail on a long trip.

A motorhome is very similar to an rv trailer on a truck chassis. Many repairs and maintenance procedures are identical. If you can do the work yourself you will save a lot of money. When I am not familiar with certain repairs I go to youtube. Many times someone has posted a video that will help a great deal and save a lot of time.

Jeff and Deidra
2015 Ford F350 Lariat Ultimate
2014 Heartland Cyclone 3110 Toyhauler
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
jeffdee is offline   Reply With Quote