Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-24-2022, 02:25 PM   #1

1997 Jayco Eagle Series M-222 RK-Ford

I am about to take possession of this pristine vehicle. I'm buying it from a friend who I know has taken very good care of it.

Please advise as to what I should look into after delivery. I already know vacuum hoses were replaced and all other hoses/belts were checked in 3/21.

The tires are 5 years old so I will be replacing them right away. Price adjusted accordingly.

I have never owned an RV but have been around them a lot so I know to expect continued preventative maintenance but...

Any advice as to what to check in the house post-purchase?

Thanks.
SmokeyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 02:44 PM   #2

Congratulations and Welcome to the Jayco Owners Forums !

Feel free to share a picture as I don't remember what your RV looks like.

I would suggest that the first thing to check would be the roof top and all of the dicor sealed areas on the roof top to make sure that there are no leaks and will not be any leaks. The roof should be checked imo twice a year at least. Leaks are a big issue with time and can ruin an otherwise excellent and pristine RV.

Depending on the tire make, they may be ok for a few years to come. There are a lot of debates and discussions on the subject here in the forums, however just as an example Michelin recommends annual inspections after 5 years and replacement even if no issues are found at 10 years. You cannot go wrong though changing them sooner, other than the cost.

If the RV hasn't been serviced recently and\or has high mileage, I would consider doing a complete maintenance service. Engine Oil change, transmission fluid change, rear axle fluid change, check\replace belts and hoses, filters, brakes, batteries, etc. On the other hand, these may be in good shape if your friend kept up with everything, but it would still be a good thing to check everything. You can likely find a Ford service manual that lists the frequency of how often to change the fluids, however the charts are of most value when you know when the fluids and other maintenance was last performed. ~CA
Old 05-24-2022, 03:38 PM   #3

Pics

As per craigav's request, here are some pics. These are just a few from what the seller sent me.

Don't know why they are sideways. They aren't when I look at them on my computer.
Attached Thumbnails
EXTERIOR 1.jpeg   EXTERIOR 2.jpeg   INTERIOR 1.jpeg   INTERIOR 3.jpeg  
Old 05-24-2022, 05:03 PM   #4

Beautiful!
Old 05-24-2022, 07:28 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyBear View Post
I am about to take possession of this pristine vehicle. I'm buying it from a friend who I know has taken very good care of it.

Please advise as to what I should look into after delivery. I already know vacuum hoses were replaced and all other hoses/belts were checked in 3/21.

The tires are 5 years old so I will be replacing them right away. Price adjusted accordingly.

I have never owned an RV but have been around them a lot so I know to expect continued preventative maintenance but...

Any advice as to what to check in the house post-purchase?

Thanks.
Welcome, and congratulations on the new MH!

This is a PDI list, listed as a sticky on our General Jayco RV Chat forum and even though it's intended as a pre-delivery checklist for new buyers, it'll work for you post-purchase too.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ted-36094.html

Enjoy your new motorhome!

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 10:53 PM   #6

Thank you all. Now all I have to do is wait until I can take delivery, about June 12.

Oh, and pay, I still have to pay.
Old 05-26-2022, 04:02 AM   #7

I have a 2005 E450, and yours looks like mine, at least the front view. What engine do you have?

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 11:38 AM   #8

Don't know yet. Probably won't know until I take possession on 13th. All I know is gasoline. I have pictures of stickers. Is there something on a sticker that will tell me?
Old 05-31-2022, 04:41 AM   #9

It should say on the front fenders. Mine is the V-10. Mileage averages around 9 to 10 MPG. Plenty of power.

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 08:24 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
I have a 2005 E450, and yours looks like mine, at least the front view. What engine do you have?
It's a V-10 engine. Don't know what size. Do they vary?

I picked this up on a Monday. On Wednesday I had new rear tires installed - they were checked. On Friday I left on a 3-week, 2,100-mile road trip to the Pacific Northwest. Absolutely no problems except for a SERVICE ENGINE SOON light. Turned out to be a loose gas cap.

I am a very happy camper. Pun intended.