Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-26-2021, 07:30 PM   #1

1st RV Renter Question

Rented a 2020 Redhawk SE. Going boondocking tomorrow for the next few days and the owners are away without cell service. Thought I was videoing the orientation but turns out I took a pic.
Ssooooooo…….
At night when generators have to be off, are the lights, water pump, and electrical outlets powered by the batteries under the steps? I know the propane will run the heating, fridge, and stove top. I don’t want to drain the batteries dead using the lights or microwave, or recharging things etc… Thank you in advance, we are VERY VERY new to this! Jay and Mandi
jaybird76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 07:43 PM   #2
Site Team

The lights, water pump, heater fan, etc. will all be powered off of your 12-volt system. Things like your microwave and air conditioner will only run when you are connected power or running the generator.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 06:13 AM   #3

Outlets will not be powered on 12V. Generator must be on for outlets to work....or plugged into power....or the RV needs to have an inverter.
foglght is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 06:40 AM   #4

Look for the control panel to see how full your tanks and battery are. Mine is above my fridge. You’ll want to make sure the water pump is on. Should be a switch there. Also untouched should see a switch for inverter that powers a limited number of plugs for light loads like sleep machines. If the rig has an inverter hold the button to turn it on. Don’t have it on unless you need it. You likely will get a warning sound if you drain the battery too far. But the battery should also charge when the engine is on in a worst case situation.
bluztoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 10:22 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybird76 View Post
At night when generators have to be off, are the lights, water pump, and electrical outlets powered by the batteries under the steps? I know the propane will run the heating, fridge, and stove top. I don’t want to drain the batteries dead using the lights or microwave, or recharging things etc…
Propane will run the heater and fridge, but they both also need 12V power from the batteries. Heater especially uses a LOT of battery power to run the fan. I'd suggest being very cautious with your electrical usage the first night until you know if your batteries will last through the night.
Old 10-27-2021, 11:00 AM   #6

Depending on how cold it gets I like to run Furnace before going to bed, shut it down until morning. If it's to cold you may need to have it on all night? The Furnace can kill a small battery in no time.
Dbunke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 12:06 PM   #7

My theory with a furnace.

If it's too cold at night, then u should stay home...lol
Below freezing, well pipes freeze stay home
In the 40s is fantastic, add a blanket, or, stay home

But seriously. A bad coach battery will die overnight running a furnace and all the parasitic things running.
I just got a fresh battery after mine could barely handle running the fridge all night

So so.e testing is a good way to know what u can and can't run over night.

I 70% boondock so it takes a bit to understand everything. I use two portable power station to use durring the day a d charge with solar usually, or an hr or three with my smaller Honda Genny that uses 1.5g of gas in 8hr+ run time

Good luck
Stavman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boondocking