Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-20-2018, 11:02 AM   #41

the only thing I don't likr about it is the $449K price!
metalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 12:31 PM   #42

Pulling the Trigger

Thanks to everyone for their input. I found a new early 2018 at CW in Draper, UT. SloPoke, I hope I don't have the trouble you had with them. Anyway, the end of season price was too good to pass. Has anyone had the protective coating applied that is to keep the paint from fading, and no need to wax? I had it applied on my car 5 yrs ago, and it still looks good. But...the cost is much different.
tomden2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 09:22 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomden2 View Post
Thanks to everyone for their input. I found a new early 2018 at CW in Draper, UT. SloPoke, I hope I don't have the trouble you had with them. Anyway, the end of season price was too good to pass. Has anyone had the protective coating applied that is to keep the paint from fading, and no need to wax? I had it applied on my car 5 yrs ago, and it still looks good. But...the cost is much different.
CONGRATS on your new Seneca!!! Since it looks like you live in Colorado, you wont get much frustration from the service department once you head back east.

as far as the paint treatment and interior treatment... Ours had it on it when we bought it... (remember it was a used rig) and it seems to be doing what it is supposed to after 2 years... It does not however protect it from tree scratches of which we have quite a few now! Our three big dogs have not hurt the upholstery yet either.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 03:41 AM   #44

OD lockouts and reprogram

From previous discussions it seams that those with older Senecas and the OD lockout switch did much better than those who do not have that option until the reprogram Mark discussed.

Also, I had my transmission reprogram done by the dealership with no input from Allison and it was not effective. It was not until I received the special customized program Mark received from Matt at Allison that I noticed the dramatic difference. I can tow 5000 (4 wd car on a uhaul - still deciding on dolly/Honda or trailer purchase) and leave the thing on cruise control at 70 and never see less than 65 even in western Pa mountains.

Of course there is that line from Jack Cruise I hear “it’s not the gettin up, it’s the gettin down.”
Old 09-22-2018, 12:59 PM   #45

Quote:
Thanks to everyone for their input. I found a new early 2018 at CW in Draper, UT. SloPoke, I hope I don't have the trouble you had with them. Anyway, the end of season price was too good to pass. .
It was great meeting up with you last night! Congratulations again on your new HJ and welcome to the Seneca family here. We will have to get a trip planned before winter sets in!

Old 09-23-2018, 01:07 PM   #46

Warning for new or any Freightliner m2 or cr2 chassis owners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnd View Post
AS a former owner of a 2015 Seneca 37TS and many prior diesel pushers as well as a 2016 Winnebago Aspect 30J I had to make that decision as I wanted a Super C again.
I considered the new smaller Ford based and Ram based Super C's as well as the Seneca.
On my 2015 Seneca 37TS (that I liked a lot) I had several issues. I could only put 42 gallons in my 70 plus gallon saddle tanks, I did not like the lack of curtains in the cab area. Quality of build and materials were an issue. Rattles squeaks etc were louder than I thought they should be. The 2015 did not have air brakes, the arm rests fell off the on captains chairs, rear TV was set at an angle that could not be viewed from the bed and the paper wood grain trim failed (came loose in many locations). I still liked the super C if not totally happy with the Jayco quality or factory support.
Long story short I bought a 2018 Renegade Valencia 38RW. I bought it for $176K with a lot of options. Washer dryer, AC-DC Fridge, full vinyl floor to bedroom, power water hose, in motion SAT and several more extras, $239K list. A similar Equipped Seneca would list at $250K. I have now driven 2300 miles and spent maybe 6 nights in the coach.
The truth is at every level and every detail Seneca does not compare.
This coach has the new freightliner RV chassis and it is a big upgrade.
One trip inside The Renegade will be enough for most to make a choice. There is a big difference in quality of materials and build. Before you decide see both as the price will be about the same if you do a good job shopping. I expect the Renegade prices to climb as others see the differences as they a big.
I now have over 6500 miles on my RV in July 2018 I bought a new 2018 Renegade Valencia 38RW which is their (Renegade's) new competition for the Seneca. It has 100 gallons of diesel and you can get it all, 10 gallons of DEf and 150 gallons of fresh (and that is a lot) and a very big propane tank. All the items I didn't think were adequate on the Seneca.
I now have 6500 miles and am very very happy on my decision.
However I had something happen to me all Super C owners should check for. After a circle trip around Lake Superior I began to have a pull to the right. On inspecting I found a inside dual showing 70 pounds of air, but when I tried to fill the air would just blow out. After some confusion my son found the valve extension (about 4" long ) had worn a hole completely through the tubing wall. It had rubbed the Alcola wheel enough to go through the tubing wall and when I tried to add air it just escaped out the side. Since I still had 70 pounds it did not loose all the time. We looked and found the other side had a hole to, but was not as big.
We bought longer extensions put a heavy duty hose cover (to protect from rubbing) over the extension and I also added monitors for pressure and tire temp. Anyone with alcoa wheels should check extensions for wear.
johnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 01:46 PM   #47

New Freightliner RV chassis advantage for the Super C

Quote:
I am in the process of making a final decision on buying a used 2015 Seneca. My main concern is the towing and carrying capacity. I have a 5th Wheel for the past 15 years, and always had a vehicle to drive whenever I arrived at where I was going. With the Seneca I'll have to tow a car. With the tow rating of 5,000 lbs, how can anyone tow anything except a sub-compact, and not be overweight, when including the weight of the vehicle+dolly or trailer? I can't tow my car 4 down, and don't want the expense buying another one. What do you all do??
Anyone considering a new Super C on freightliner should try to get the new Freightliner RV chassis, I think it is called CR2.
Specs are for Renegade Valencia (Jayco may be different on some items)
The chassis has many attributes that the M2 chassis wishes it had.
100 gallons single tank diesel
150 gallons fresh water
75 gallons black
75 gallons grey
LPG 20 gallons
DEF 10 gallons
Allison 3000 trans (this is a big one) when in "mode" the trans acts a lot like a 8 speed, it is very smart it holds shifts for easier acceleration and it is great on long grades when using cruise.
Not sure there is any difference in the cruise from the M2, but this one seems smarter and is very good holding speed. Probably a result of the smarter transmission when in "mode" position.
Old 09-23-2018, 03:35 PM   #48

Quote:
Anyone considering a new Super C on freightliner should try to get the new Freightliner RV chassis, I think it is called CR2.
Specs are for Renegade Valencia (Jayco may be different on some items)
The chassis has many attributes that the M2 chassis wishes it had.
100 gallons single tank diesel
150 gallons fresh water
75 gallons black
75 gallons grey
LPG 20 gallons
DEF 10 gallons
Allison 3000 trans (this is a big one) when in "mode" the trans acts a lot like a 8 speed, it is very smart it holds shifts for easier acceleration and it is great on long grades when using cruise.
Not sure there is any difference in the cruise from the M2, but this one seems smarter and is very good holding speed. Probably a result of the smarter transmission when in "mode" position.

The new Freightliner chassis S2RV and the only items you list relevent to the chassis itself are the 100 gallon fuel tank and the 10 gallon DEF tank, all the other items are relevant to the builder of the chassis.

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 03:39 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post
It was great meeting up with you last night! Congratulations again on your new HJ and welcome to the Seneca family here. We will have to get a trip planned before winter sets in!
We enjoyed the get together also. Made in home in 1 piece. Much different than driving my F250 pulling a 35ft 5'ver. Talk with you soon.
tomden2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 06:20 PM   #50

Hidden Danger
I am reposting this as I think it got lost in my bigger post.
I had something happen to me all Super C owners and dual tire owners should check for. After a circle trip around Lake Superior I began to have a pull to the right. On inspecting I found a inside dual showing 70 pounds of air, but when I tried to fill the air would just blow out. After some confusion my son found the valve extension (about 4" long ) had worn a hole completely through the tubing wall. It had rubbed the Alcola wheel enough to go through the tubing wall and when I tried to add air it just escaped out the side. Since I still had 70 pounds it did not loose all the time. We looked and found the other side had a hole to, but was not as big.
We bought longer extensions put a heavy duty hose cover (to protect from rubbing) over the extension and I also added monitors for pressure and tire temp. Anyone with alcoa wheels should check extensions for wear.
Old 09-25-2018, 06:35 PM   #51

Quote:
Hidden Danger
I am reposting this as I think it got lost in my bigger post. Anyone with alcoa wheels should check extensions for wear.
Thanks for the PSA. Our inner wheel extensions are bolted to the rim and are clear of the wheels and I frequently check that they are. You can buy a rubber diaphragm to isolate and center the stem in a wheel slot but I have no need for that. You might consider such a fix. At your next tire change you should replace the screw-on valve extension with one that is bolted direct to the rim.
Crossingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 08:25 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossingover View Post
Thanks for the PSA. Our inner wheel extensions are bolted to the rim and are clear of the wheels and I frequently check that they are. You can buy a rubber diaphragm to isolate and center the stem in a wheel slot but I have no need for that. You might consider such a fix. At your next tire change you should replace the screw-on valve extension with one that is bolted direct to the rim.
I have never worried about that issue either... and don't want to need the rubber boot either. I can access the original style stems just fine, no extensions needed or wanted with our TPMS. We follow the FMCSA regulations too.

Old 12-22-2018, 10:42 AM   #53

Rusty
I had a 2015 seneca 37ts, i now have a 2018 Renegade Valencia 38RW. The seneca when I bought it suffered from wind noise (whistling) from holes in mirror frame which I caulked and fixed that issue. I also had a plastic rattle by drivers door which turned out to be the panel below the door above the tank and this i fixed with silicone.
Here is my question. I think you have the new M2 RV chassis very close to my M2 RV chassis which does have rear fuel and a single DEF tank under drivers door. My new unit has a rattle (sounds like plastic rattle) at speeds over 60 and when I am in high winds. Do you have a similar issue? If so have you found where it is coming from? I thought it might be the spoiler under the front bumper, but mods i made to it did not change anything. I know we have two different brands, but the chassis should be about the same.
Thanks
johnd
Old 12-22-2018, 02:13 PM   #54

JohnD if you have the single fill 100 gallon rear tank then it would be the S2RV chassis like mine. I did have a tapping/plastic sounding noise and I finally found out it was the fiberglass steps on the cab. They screw them down to a metal brace attached to the frame and one of the screws had broken and it flexed enough that it would thump when ever you hit a bump. Unfortunately the screw is under the anti-skid tape so I just filled the gap with silicone and its gone now.

Old 12-22-2018, 10:44 PM   #55

Flat tow

I tow a full size extended cab GMC. Never notice it is there.
Driving a diesel truck is different than driving gas. If you are rolling at 70 MPH at the bottom of the mountain you can maintain that speed. If you hit the base at 55 you will loose speed all the way to the top.
Purdue 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 04:36 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
JohnD if you have the single fill 100 gallon rear tank then it would be the S2RV chassis like mine. I did have a tapping/plastic sounding noise and I finally found out it was the fiberglass steps on the cab. They screw them down to a metal brace attached to the frame and one of the screws had broken and it flexed enough that it would thump when ever you hit a bump. Unfortunately the screw is under the anti-skid tape so I just filled the gap with silicone and its gone now.
Rusty
I will check the step, but my noise is constant at 65 mph and over when it is windy. It seems like it is something different. It is a hammering sound. Like a baseball card or balloon hitting bicycle spokes. That is probally way before your time.
How do you like the Mode option on the Allison 3000 trans. I love it for take off and hills. It makes the coach almost fast
2018 Renegade Valencia 38RW.
Old 12-23-2018, 08:31 PM   #57

Quote:
Rusty
I will check the step, but my noise is constant at 65 mph and over when it is windy. It seems like it is something different. It is a hammering sound. Like a baseball card or balloon hitting bicycle spokes. That is probally way before your time.
How do you like the Mode option on the Allison 3000 trans. I love it for take off and hills. It makes the coach almost fast
2018 Renegade Valencia 38RW.
Oh I know what BB cards in spokes sound like Sounds like some panel is vibrating and those can be hard to find. Love the Mode selection, I drive 100% of the time in mode. I tried the 2 setting on a trip and saw no difference in fuel usage and prefer the Mode setting so I hit the Mode button before I put it in drive every time now. I read somewhere that you might be able to set the default to mode so it is that way when you start up but havent researched that yet.

Old 12-24-2018, 10:17 AM   #58

We've towed a 2009 Hummer H3 all four down or a 2015 MasterCraft X15, both >5,000# but <10,000# with absolutely no problems. BOTH have been pulled along I-70 through the Rocky Mountains here in Colorado.

2015 Seneca 37TS ("Screaming Eagle")
2009 Hummer H3 ("Ranger")
2005 Chevy 2500HD ("Max")
2008 MasterCraft X-15 ("One More Time")
WeylanBryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 10:39 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
Oh I know what BB cards in spokes sound like Sounds like some panel is vibrating and those can be hard to find. Love the Mode selection, I drive 100% of the time in mode. I tried the 2 setting on a trip and saw no difference in fuel usage and prefer the Mode setting so I hit the Mode button before I put it in drive every time now. I read somewhere that you might be able to set the default to mode so it is that way when you start up but havent researched that yet.
I would think the normal shift (not MODE) would give better MPG on the flat just because it has the engine turning less RPM till you get to 6th. At first I did not think MODE allowed you to get to 6th, but then on longer flats I saw it does. I like how it down shifts sooner on interstate hills so you only loose a couple MPH before the shift. In non MODE it was maybe double and then it had a hard time not loosing more. With MODE my RV is almost fast (for a RV)> In 2005 I bought a 45 ft Navigator with a 600 HP Detroit, that RV was almost fast and it never lost speed anywhere.
I bet Verona which must weight only a little more than my coach but has the bigger engine 1100 lbs of torque is just about right on power. Same for Dynamax as they offer the bigger motor too, but at a big kick in price.
Old 12-24-2018, 04:57 PM   #60

The mode button just changes the shift pattern from eco to performance. Wish we had this tranny in our 2016. The performance mode seems to make the Seneca respond much better, and I didnt see much if any change in MPG when I had mine reprogrammed. (You will notice that many owners prior to the 3000 series trans, have had their trans reprogrammed to be in performance mode all the time, since we dont have a mode button to make the switch.)