Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-08-2018, 05:58 PM   #1

1st Time Seneca

I am in the process of making a final decision on buying a used 2015 Seneca. My main concern is the towing and carrying capacity. I have a 5th Wheel for the past 15 years, and always had a vehicle to drive whenever I arrived at where I was going. With the Seneca I'll have to tow a car. With the tow rating of 5,000 lbs, how can anyone tow anything except a sub-compact, and not be overweight, when including the weight of the vehicle+dolly or trailer? I can't tow my car 4 down, and don't want the expense buying another one. What do you all do??

tomden2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 06:02 PM   #2
Site Team

Welcome to JOF.

I can't help you but we have a knowledgeable Seneca gang here.

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 06:30 PM   #3

The 2015 Seneca has a Towing capacity and hitch for 10K not 5K. It has a GVW or 28k and GCW of 33K so you can easily tow a car.

Complete specs for a 2015 Seneca are here...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf MY2015Seneca_BrochureReprint.pdf (1.83 MB, 9 views)
Old 07-08-2018, 06:51 PM   #4

Welcome to the forum!

I tow either a 2014 Ford Explorer or a 2013 Ford Focus, my Seneca doesn't know which is back there! As stated the hitch is a 10,000 lb hitch, but you are "limited" by the Gross Combination Weight Rating of 33,000 lbs. Loaded for bear (we always pack way too much!) with 4 adults on board, full fuel, propane, and fresh water, my rig weighed just a touch over 26K. So I had almost 7,000 lbs. to play with to tow with.

And there are several other Seneca owners here on the forum who regularly tow over the GCWR and have not had any handling or reliability issues.

Good luck with your decision!
Toads: 2014 Ford Explorer Sport or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 09:48 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyr View Post
Welcome to the forum!

And there are several other Seneca owners here on the forum who regularly tow over the GCWR and have not had any handling or reliability issues.

Good luck with your decision!
I resemble that comment...

First - Welcome to JOF Tomden2

Second - Robby is absolutely correct... there are quite a few of us that constantly run at the legal limit, and once in a while we have been overweight a little bit (but we have never been more than 700# over GCVW, and only ONCE)

We have a '15 36FK and tow a 28ft trailer with all of our toys. I have posted many threads on this forum with our scale weight as reference of what the Seneca is really capable of - I encourage you to use the search of JOF to look them up. I do not encourage you to run overweight! but it takes a bit of effort to really load up enough stuff, water... fuel and cargo to be overweight.

While at legal weight, fully loaded with a full tank of water, a week of food and beer and our trailer weight running in the 7000# range with the Toyota and toys loaded on it - we go and run 8% grades in/out of Utah & Colorado. We have done some steeper and if you are planning on a TOAD to pull with your new-to-you Seneca, that gives you LOTS of options of having something to take along. We use the trailer for our "built-for-offroad" FJCruiser because they are not able to be towed on a dolly or flat.

If you really want to know more... send me a PM and we can talk over the phone.

SloPoke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 10:21 PM   #6

My trailer loaded up with a SxS, Sandrail, fuel and tools weighs 9600lbs and at 6-7% grades the Seneca does great. Fully loaded for a week we are around 25k but on our 2018.5 we have a GCVW of 39k so we have plenty of leeway.
Attached Thumbnails
B0646A9B-730E-45D9-8C6F-2C706DCF2580.jpg  
Old 07-09-2018, 09:32 AM   #7

Towing...no problem.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3097.jpg  
Old 07-09-2018, 10:14 AM   #8
MD3

I'm disappointed with the towing on the Seneca. I hate being a rolling roadblock in the hills. I've had the transmission retune done and still not impressed. I'd be happy with 45-50 mph on the hills but 35-40 sucks, no way to sugar coat it.

-
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_8502.jpg  
2005 LJ Rubicon - Sahara #90
MD3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 10:16 AM   #9

Sounds like you'll either need a trailer for your existing car, or buy something that can flat tow. I am partial to Jeeps, because they are easy to set up for flat tow, but there are others. We also love to travel off-highway and explore, so that fits. The drawback to a flat car hauler trailer is that you have to find a place to store it at home, and also at any campground you might visit. They take up a ton of room. And they do add to your toad weight under GCVW, but it sounds like you don't have much problem with capacity.
Old 07-09-2018, 10:41 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD3 View Post
I'm disappointed with the towing on the Seneca. I hate being a rolling roadblock in the hills. I've had the transmission retune done and still not impressed. I'd be happy with 45-50 mph on the hills but 35-40 sucks, no way to sugar coat it.
-
Now that totally surprises me... when we are fully loaded (at 33k) and are heading out of town over Parley's summit (6%).. we never have fallen below 45mph, even in the hot summer months.

Now we did bog down on UT-143 and had to drop into "3" climbing into Brian Head, but that is a 13% Grade. We just kept the engine in the 2k RPM range and climbed right up at a steady pace. That is a real steep climb, but we had no issues doing it.

SloPoke is online now   Reply With Quote