Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-23-2015, 06:24 AM   #1

2 House Batteries - Anybody doing it?

Do any of you guys run 2 batteries for the house? It'd probably be a good time for me to upgrade to 2 group 27s while the dealer is prepping my rig for sale this Saturday. I'm just trying to see if its worthwhile. I don't boondock but I know the levelers and 2 slides are high amp draw. If I ever found myself at a State Park or something between legs of a trip, having the extra juice might come in handy.

If the price was small, is it worth putting the second one in? Any value in it?
Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 08:25 AM   #2

Dealer informed me there is no room for a second battery even if I wanted one. So the point is moot I suppose.
Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 08:41 AM   #3

Two who added second house battery

Some have successfully added a second house battery to a Greyhawk. It is something I am considering down the road.

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...tml#post213481

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...ery-19393.html

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 01:01 PM   #4

Didn't one of the guys install a 2nd battery in the slot (where the pwr cord is) next to the factory installed battery and drilled a hole to connect the two ?

Any man can treat a lady right for one night, but it takes a great man to treat her right for the rest of her life.
GrayHawk51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 01:16 PM   #5

Please look at my post with picture....two Interstate 6v. Golf Cart Batteries...reserve capacity is huge compared to TWO 27 series 12v. batteries...more than double the reserve capacity...(my new Greyhawk 29mv)
I had the two 6v. batteries installed to the right of the slide out tray housing the original 27 series 12v. battery..so that slide out tray is used for just odds and ends in a small bucket that fits in it...
I put in a battery stick on light in the storage box housing the two 6v. batteries, they re-enforced the storage box underneath with metal brackets etc...my pic. even shows room for some wood storage next to batteries...
I can use a turkey baster thing with a tube on the end of it for checking and maintaining the battery fluid level...takes a bit of practice..it does work...
My dealer Vogt RV told me the same thing, we can't do a second battery...of course they won"t do that...this changeover is a bit costly but in my mind is worth the extra bucks.....
Two 6v. golf cart batteries will give you boondocking-WalMart overnights etc...with no problem..one night with the 27 series 12v. battery on a winter night with heater blowing etc..or a few hours of TV and the battery is toast...
Hey by the way how come my Jensen Radio GPS thing keeps going on randomly every few days..weird...I think there is a post about that...
StevWb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 01:30 PM   #6

Pics of battery box next to Slide out tray on 29mv 2015

Here is my setup with battery pic and under storage box reinforcement....
Attached Thumbnails
20150704_104644.jpg   20150704_105009.jpg  
StevWb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 02:41 PM   #7

Keep in mind You can also install AGM type batteries inside your motorhome with very minimum venting required.. A very popular spot to mount these type of batteries in under the wrap around seating with a kitchen table arrangement. Just find a spot where your battery cables can be as short as possible to feed your 12VDC Power Distribution Panel...
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 04:27 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevWb View Post
Here is my setup with battery pic and under storage box reinforcement....
StevWb - do you have more pictures of the bottom of the support bracket you made and how you attached it to the frame of the motorhome? I am thinking of doing the same but wondering how to attach to frame to get the most support.

GeorgiaRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 08:53 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
Do any of you guys run 2 batteries for the house? It'd probably be a good time for me to upgrade to 2 group 27s while the dealer is prepping my rig for sale this Saturday. I'm just trying to see if its worthwhile. I don't boondock but I know the levelers and 2 slides are high amp draw. If I ever found myself at a State Park or something between legs of a trip, having the extra juice might come in handy.

If the price was small, is it worth putting the second one in? Any value in it?

I upgraded to three batteries (the original 27 + 2 other Deep Cycle 27's mounted on my square rear bumper in a locking, metal battery box).

With running my generator normally, as we all have to, to run the microwave, coffee pot, etc., I do not run out of battery, even in winter running the heater all night and part of the day. I can dry camp for as long as my water and other necessities hold out without any battery worries. Prior to this add-on, I could barely get through one night using the single Group 27 coach battery that came with my 2017 Greyhawk 29W.

I just ran a heavy gauge dual cable from the junction box of my original house battery, back along the frame and into the diamond plate bumper battery box, connected the two in the box in parallel and then connected the connector cable to them. Very simple and takes up no space in any compartment, vents to the atmosphere and not into the coach anywhere, is not in the way of anything (including trailer turning in back-up) and is so very convenient to service when needed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
gprapim is offline   Reply With Quote