Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-13-2014, 09:48 PM   #1

2004 GreyHawk 27DS

Just bought this great coach with 13,000 miles on it......My only complaint is that I can barely hear the radio while going down the road. Is it possible to wire the in dash radio to play through the surround sound speakers? I like to rock out when driving. Or, am I missing something?
GoCougs90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 05:50 PM   #2

Our 05 has an AUX input on the home stereo... So it is possible to wire the "car" radio into the aux input on the surround stereo (using it essentially as an amp) and play sound though all of the speakers. That assumes that you've got an inverter to power up the surround stereo.

If you mean run the actual speaker outputs to the surround speakers, you may be able to do that also. Generally, most car receivers are designed to run up to 4 speakers, beyond that, you'd need an amp. I don't recommend it - as I think the issue with available volume is likely more about how much power that car stereo can put out rather than being able to pipe it to speakers....

A third option would be an inexpensive auto amplifier to give you a little more volume up front... Maybe in conjunction with better door speakers - or installing overhead speakers.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 08:33 PM   #3

I have an '04 Greyhawk on the E-450 chassis. The dash stereo does feed int the overhead speakers in the back. However, the sound is awful, both in terms of volume and sound quality. I don't think there's an easy solution, beyond getting an auto shop or knowledgeable Best Buy to replace the head unit and the crappy speakers. You could get a reasonable system that would sound far better for under a grand.
Wulfgar878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 12:59 PM   #4

I have a 2004 27DS also. The radio did not work when I bought it last year. I replaced it with a Pioneer that has a DVD player, touch screen, Bluetooth, XM radio and the screen works with a back-up camera. I can have the camera on all the time. The installer found wires for the camera just below the rear center marker light. He did a great installation. I have no problem with hearing the radio on the road. The overhead speakers work also when the radio is on.
The surround speakers are another matter. I tried to hook them up to the front TV so they would work without a DVD playing. I wanted the TV sound to come out of those speakers. I tried without success to make this work. I would recommend buying a new radio to fix your problem.
LI-Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 03:56 PM   #5

I also have a '04 Greyhawk 27DS. How do I hook built-in DVD player to TV? They are next to each other, but no way to run wires without taking cabinet apart. DVD player does not come out of cabinet either.
whosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 05:46 PM   #6

The DVD player should be connected to the TV. The wires run behind each cabinet. They should be visible on the very small space on the wall between the cabinets. The DVD player in my MH can be removed.
Old 04-29-2015, 03:33 PM   #7

I checked and the only cable going between the cabinets is the power cable for the DVD player. The player is removable too, but difficult. It is stuck down with an adhesive cloth to keep it from falling out, I presume. Thanks for your reply Li-camper.
Old 04-29-2015, 03:35 PM   #8

To Li-camper. Forgot to ask you if you have a water filter installed in your rig, and where is it?
Old 04-29-2015, 06:13 PM   #9

Whosis, I can't find a water filter either. I read the original brochure that indicated a water filter. I will have to ask the original owner. I also can't find the water pump. I can hear it, i know it is near the water heater and the bedroom closet, but I don't see it or a removable panel .
The wires that connect the DVD player to the front TV have to go between the two cabinets. At least in my 27DS they do. Follow the wires out of the TV. If I remember correctly, they are run behind some panelling?
Old 04-29-2015, 06:38 PM   #10

Another suggestion would be to install an amp to power those speakers in the front cab and install better speakers in the cab portion as well. Same concept as with any automotive stereo system. the amp would be powered by the chassis battery which would be charged by the alternator while driving down the road.
Equalizer WDH
TV 2018 F150 FX4 SC 3.5EB TP/MT
jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 12:18 PM   #11

Thanks for the reply. Like I said, the only wire running between is the DVD power cord. there is paneling in the back of the TV cabinet, but does not look like an easy way to remove it. Sorry, I can't help you concerning the water pump. I hear it too, but have not seen it.