Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-31-2023, 05:30 AM   #1
C42

2005 Greyhawk 29GS: Radio replacement suggestions?

Hi all -

I am picking up my new/old Jayco next week and want to replace the old radio system with a more modernized, Bluetooth-enabled one with USB A and C ports. I would prefer something with an integrated GPS system, as well.

Has anyone made this switch with an older Jayco? Do you remember what the installation cost was? Even if you haven't, I would love to hear your suggestions.

Thanks so much in advance!
C42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 09:14 AM   #2

Those stock radio units for the Ford E series vans are similar or maybe exact radios used in the F-series trucks or Excursions. A double DIN unit could fit in that rectangular opening, but may need to trim off 1/8" lip on the top of that opening. A double DIN kit and wiring harnesses would be needed.

Double DIN kit
https://a.co/d/adiTrFJ

Wiring harness
https://a.co/d/1cfXLoa

You have a wide choice of which radio to go with. I have this Android unit on my other vehicle and it connects Android Auto or Apple Carplay wirelessly.

https://a.co/d/hi1oG0h

You can also connect via USB type A, but what I find is that it doesn't charge my Samsung phone well. Connecting wirelessly and using your phone's cable to the cigarette light to charge would work best.

Not sure if you currently have an aftermarket radio already installed, but if you do, you may already have the double DIN kit you could reuse.

I install my own car radios for years so I know what it entails. It's pretty simple. I don't know what a shop would charge to install, but at least the above could give you ideas on the cost of the hardware and equipment.

Good luck.
jyh818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 11:41 AM   #3
CAG

[QUOTE=C42;1112968]Hi all -

I am picking up my new/old Jayco next week and want to replace the old radio system with a more modernized, Bluetooth-enabled one with USB A and C ports. I would prefer something with an integrated GPS system, as well.

Has anyone made this switch with an older Jayco? Do you remember what the installation cost was? Even if you haven't, I would love to hear your suggestions.

I am not sure there is much difference between the cabs, dash etc but this is from the "Search" feature at the top of the page. There are others on Jensen and earlier model Fords.

The swap out mentioned in this one is what I did but with a new Kenwood model, same basics. I will also tell you that I paid a radio shop $100 to do the switch because the dash is a PIA.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...her-67638.html

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 07:39 PM   #4
C42

Thank You the Great Information!

Good luck.[/QUOTE]

Thank you so much for the great information! I am doing the research now based on the info and the links you provided. It was very kind of you!!!!
Old 06-03-2023, 07:40 PM   #5
C42

Ugh...still learning how to use this forum...so..sort of all over the place in the Reply.

But - thank you so much. What you gave me was wonderful detail and exactly what I needed. It is very, very appreciated!!!