Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-19-2020, 07:28 AM   #1

2006 Seneca 34SS Plug in or Unplug?

I store my Seneca inside for weeks or possibly months at a time. I have 50 amp hookup in my storage building. Should I plug it in and leave it? Or, use the battery shutoff switch and leave it unplugged? Thank you for your help, Dj
djrokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 07:35 AM   #2

If you leave it plugged in, it will toast your house batteries. I have the t-shirt... They claim there is a internal trickle charger that will keep the batteries floated. I find that all it does is make me need to water the batteries pretty often.

I now cut everything off and go out once a month and plug it in for a few hours. I will plug it in the day before we are leaving for a trip as well.
Clayduster71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 07:38 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayduster71 View Post
If you leave it plugged in, it will toast your house batteries.
Sounds like you have a bad converter/charger

Left our's piugged in 24/7 over 6 years and still had the original batteries when I traded it. Only had to add water a couple times a year.
Old 07-19-2020, 07:47 AM   #4

No, I tested it and its working just fine. Now I don't have to water the batteries at all.
Clayduster71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 08:03 AM   #5

Leave my rig plugged in all the time and never have an issue. My Challenger was plugged in constantly for over 5 years and used about 1 quart of water the entire time.

If the coach fries the batteries at home it will fry the batteries at a campground when connected to 50 amp service for a week or two. If that happens something is wrong and needs to be corrected ASAP.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk TOAD
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 09:28 AM   #6
Lost in the Woods

Batteries don't need to be plugged into a charger 24/7. They only need to be plugged in when NEEDING charging. The key is to monitor the voltage, and charge as necessary. Depending on your parasitic draw, it will determine the frequency. Fully charged, the voltage should be 12.6 or above.

Actually letting deep cycle batteries "cycle" a little bit (let the voltage drop some) before charging is OK for them.

I don't like leaving the rig plugged in 24/7. It's also energizing the complete 120 volt system, which doesn't need to be energized, unless you're using an appliance. Eliminates the accidental turn on of the water heater, etc.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote