Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-08-2020, 06:01 PM   #1

2008 Melbourne No Electrical Inside

2008 Melbourne M-29. Was leaving on a trip today. Generator running. AC and TV on for passengers. AC and TV stopped just stopped. Taking a closer look noted that all electrical inside not working. Looked at fuses and breakers. All looked good. Generator works fine. Returned home. Plugged coach into outlet. Now the GFI keeps tripping at the outlet when I plug in even though ac tv interior lights are not turned on creating a large load on the GFI.

Any suggestions on where to start looking to fix the problem?

Thanks
Robertmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 07:11 PM   #2

A couple of notes. Lights should all be 12 volts and should run off the battery. If they don't work I would start there. Could be a battery disconnect switch accidentally activated, blown inline fuse at battery (if there is one). The battery should be fed to the fuse panel (not circuit breaker panel) and from there it will be routed to all 12 volt items.

The 120 volt section is separate from the 12 volts. Either shore power or generator power will come in and be connected to a transfer switch which will select one or the other. If the generator is on it will select that feed to pass through to your circuit breaker panel.

The circuit breakers will route the 120 volts to all outlets. The GFI outlet, which may be in your bathroom, only protects some of the power outlets if it trips. Those most commonly are in the kitchen and bathroom, mostly outlets that are near water. If the GFI trips you should still have 120 volts to many other outlets.

So, where to begin? I would first try getting the 12 volt side of things operational and then work on the 120 volts. Remember, the 12 volts are protected by fuses while the 120 volts are protected by circuit breakers. You can try resetting all circuit breakers.

Please let us know what troubleshooting steps you have gone through so we can offer additional tips. A multimeter is a must have tool for all RVers!!!!!

Last thought - your 12 volt side of things can be powered by the converter which is the gadget that converts 120 volts to 12 volts. If there is no 120 volts it will not work at providing the 12 volts but the battery will still do the 12 volts.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 08:06 PM   #3

Thanks for the response. Interior lights work with engine on or off. Double check in line fuse at battery. No blown fuses. Turned all breakers to off. Attempted to connect via the 30 amp cord to exterior power source. Upon plugging in the GFI at the exterior power source the GFI trips. Tripped multiple times as I would unplug 30 amp cord -reset GFI - plug in again - immediate trip following each reset. Unhooked exterior source. Turned on generator. AC - microwave - TV would not turn on.

Any additional suggestions?

Thanks
Old 08-09-2020, 09:46 PM   #4
Site Team

It seems there's a dead short somewhere in the 120v side. I'd start by checking connections in the transfer switch.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 05:26 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertmac View Post
Thanks for the response. Interior lights work with engine on or off. Double check in line fuse at battery. No blown fuses. Turned all breakers to off. Attempted to connect via the 30 amp cord to exterior power source. Upon plugging in the GFI at the exterior power source the GFI trips. Tripped multiple times as I would unplug 30 amp cord -reset GFI - plug in again - immediate trip following each reset. Unhooked exterior source. Turned on generator. AC - microwave - TV would not turn on.

Any additional suggestions?

Thanks
Since nothing works on Gen power I would start at the Transfer switch. Check Voltage in. (two places. Gen and shore.) and voltage out. Check the gen breakers.

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323 BH
Cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 07:16 AM   #6

GFCI's aren't circuit breakers OP.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 02:20 PM   #7

Will check transfer switch. Thanks, Robert
Old 08-10-2020, 02:27 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post
It seems there's a dead short somewhere in the 120v side. I'd start by checking connections in the transfer switch.
How do you know there is a short???? I have not herd mention of a tripped breaker!

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323 BH
Cavie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2008 melbourne, gfi tripping, no power inside