Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-10-2021, 12:53 PM   #1

2009 Greyhawk 31ss Slide Problem

My slide, when fully extended, needs outside assistance when it is time to retract it. The slide system is a Power Gear (LCI) system. It is the rail and spur gear unit.

When attempting to retract the slide the rail and gear don't quite mesh. Once starting to retract, with assistance from the outside, it retracts as it should.

I believe the problem could be wear pad failure.

Has anyone experienced this and what was their solution.

TIA.
rfkurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 06:28 PM   #2

Am I the only one who has experienced this problem??
Old 01-21-2021, 06:44 PM   #3

I have a 31SS but never had that exact problem. I had the coach battery go bad and that caused a similar issue, the battery had some power but not much, and the slide would only come in with some help, the same battery affected the power steps as well in a similar manner. Do you hear gears slipping or grinding or just that the motor is stalling? ~CA
Old 01-21-2021, 10:03 PM   #4

Thanks for the reply. Let me tell you my tale of woe.
12/04/2020 I attempted to retract my slide. Facing the slide from the inside of the coach the left end would not come in. The right side moved but the left didn’t. After several attempts I called a mobile service tech who said he could be out the next day.
When he arrived, he went underneath and I pushed the button, no result. He said the spur gear was not engaging with the rail and that I should order a new gear. As the unit was a Power Gear I called Lippert and ordered a new one after removing the old one so I could get measurements and count the teeth. When the new one arrived it looked just like the old one. I put the new one on the shaft and put the old one over the new one perfect match. $30 for the spur gear $200 for the service call.
I called Lippert to get some technical assistance. They had me check the slide out room height adjustment, it was ok. They had me try to manually move the slide out in, wouldn’t budge. They then thought it was the motor. They gifted me a new motor sent out air freight. While I waited for the new motor I took the old one out and took the cover plate off. The small drive gear was messed up. When the new motor arrived I installed it. Slide out wouldn’t come in. They gave me the name of their dealer who came out 3 days later. He played with it a bit and couldn’t resolve the problem. He went out side and lifted the corner of the side that wouldn’t retract. By lifting the corner the spur gear would engage with the rail and retract. When it was retracted the Nike stripes didn’t line up. The stripe on the slide was 0.40 inches lower than the main body stripe. The slide out had dropped 0.40 inches. He wanted me to take to his shop so he could diagnose the problem.
While at the shop he spoke with Lippert and they determined the wear pads between the inner and outer rail where the spur gear meets the rail were worn and needed to be replaced. I ordered the wear pads from Lippert and they are on the way. In the meantime they sent me a drawing of the wear pads and where they mount. To replace the wear pads the inner and outer rail of the system need to be removed. Total shop time to do it is 6 hours minimum, shop rate $110/hr. I looked at the wear pad drawing and the thickness was 0.080 inches. That won’t make up 0.40 inches it has dropped.
I called Jayco to get some information on how they assembled their slide out. The didn’t have a clue. They were trying to tell me I had rollers and a bunch of other stuff. They were clueless. They tried to tell me my shear pin had sheared, no the motor turned the gear. I sent them a load of pictures to educated and determined they were unteachable. I asked them if they used wear strips to assist in the slide movement when the slide moved in and out and slid on the interior carpet and they didn’t know. Do wear strips sound viable to you and do you have them on the bottom of your slide out?
Old 01-22-2021, 01:33 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfkurtz View Post
Thanks for the reply. Let me tell you my tale of woe.
12/04/2020 I attempted to retract my slide. Facing the slide from the inside of the coach the left end would not come in. The right side moved but the left didn’t. After several attempts I called a mobile service tech who said he could be out the next day.
When he arrived, he went underneath and I pushed the button, no result. He said the spur gear was not engaging with the rail and that I should order a new gear. As the unit was a Power Gear I called Lippert and ordered a new one after removing the old one so I could get measurements and count the teeth. When the new one arrived it looked just like the old one. I put the new one on the shaft and put the old one over the new one perfect match. $30 for the spur gear $200 for the service call.
I called Lippert to get some technical assistance. They had me check the slide out room height adjustment, it was ok. They had me try to manually move the slide out in, wouldn’t budge. They then thought it was the motor. They gifted me a new motor sent out air freight. While I waited for the new motor I took the old one out and took the cover plate off. The small drive gear was messed up. When the new motor arrived I installed it. Slide out wouldn’t come in. They gave me the name of their dealer who came out 3 days later. He played with it a bit and couldn’t resolve the problem. He went out side and lifted the corner of the side that wouldn’t retract. By lifting the corner the spur gear would engage with the rail and retract. When it was retracted the Nike stripes didn’t line up. The stripe on the slide was 0.40 inches lower than the main body stripe. The slide out had dropped 0.40 inches. He wanted me to take to his shop so he could diagnose the problem.
While at the shop he spoke with Lippert and they determined the wear pads between the inner and outer rail where the spur gear meets the rail were worn and needed to be replaced. I ordered the wear pads from Lippert and they are on the way. In the meantime they sent me a drawing of the wear pads and where they mount. To replace the wear pads the inner and outer rail of the system need to be removed. Total shop time to do it is 6 hours minimum, shop rate $110/hr. I looked at the wear pad drawing and the thickness was 0.080 inches. That won’t make up 0.40 inches it has dropped.
I called Jayco to get some information on how they assembled their slide out. The didn’t have a clue. They were trying to tell me I had rollers and a bunch of other stuff. They were clueless. They tried to tell me my shear pin had sheared, no the motor turned the gear. I sent them a load of pictures to educated and determined they were unteachable. I asked them if they used wear strips to assist in the slide movement when the slide moved in and out and slid on the interior carpet and they didn’t know. Do wear strips sound viable to you and do you have them on the bottom of your slide out?
Hi rfkurtz, Sounds like you have been through a lot of troubleshooting w/o a lot of success. I will take a look under mine and see what I can see. I did take some time to lookup how these slideouts were built and I am not sure if you are saying lippert suggested changing out the wear tabs as listed here.

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...ils=.questions

I have noticed simply by looking at the slideout floor from the inside that when I retract the slide, the slideout room itself raises about 1/2" based on the gap between the floor and the slideout room. Once it goes in about a third of the way it falls back flush with the floor. I have never looked closely underneath though and as soon as it quits raining I will take a closer look. It is suppose to rain all weekend though.

I will send you a personal message with my email and if you like you could send me the diagrams and pictures of what they sent you so I can be sure to look in the correct areas. From what I saw in the link I shared, it appears the wear tabs are located where the small gear is located you referenced earlier and that area is locked into where the rack gear (if that is the correct term) to keep the pinion gear close to the rack gear. I am not sure, although I would suspect it could be that the entire room also has support from either slide pads or rollers, as the room is larger than most slideout rooms are.

On a side note, I bought mine used and it had not a lot of use when I purchased it back in 2015, (~12,000 miles). I didn't like the booth seats or the fold out couch and removed the booth seats (both of them) left the table and use comfortable kitchen chairs now, and I removed the sofa and went with a lighter weight dual recliner. There was quite a bit of weight that I removed, not to mention that removing the booths also took away that storage which also had a lot of unneeded pots and pans that added to the weight. In any case, I did notice that the room itself seemed to open and close with less struggle since doing that. I didn't do a scientific test or anything, but similar to a power window where you hear it straining compared to when you don't. I suspect from what you shared that with my slideout room weight reduction that perhaps the slide will last longer, not that I did any of that with the slide longevity in mind.

I will let you know what I see underneath, however again that will likely not be until early next week.

~Craig
Old 01-22-2021, 02:01 PM   #6

craigav

Thank you for your response. I will wait for your email address and when I receive it I will send drawings and pictures that I have taken.

I thank you for taking interest.
Old 02-02-2021, 09:23 PM   #7

Update: Problem solved answer replace wear pads.